• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x Non-Abs Front Brake Pads

maxwellian

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I found a thread about pads for the ABS caliper, but not really one for the non-abs.

I ride mostly commuting on urban freeways and through city traffic, with some rides through the mountains.

I used my stock front pads up by 7,000 miles. Tried EBC organics after that, they're probably only going to last ~3,000mi made a buzzing noise for the first 1,000mi. The buzzing was reduced, but not eliminated by trimming the powdercoat/paint from the edges of the brake material.

So,

Anyone tried the galfer semi-metallic?

Best source for OEM pads?

I'm thinking I'd sacrifice a bit of rotor life to not have to change brake pads more often than oil.

I have 15k on my stock pads... Still plenty left.

Ronayers.com is a good oem source.

I have 24-ish thousand miles on mine. Backs look like they need replaced. Fronts are not eating evenly (caliper is not sliding as freely as it should), but the one side is closing on worn out. I mainly commute quite a ways on urban to rural freeway and highway.
I generally buy parts from Western Honda. They have very good pricing, generally, and are local to where I work.

Yeah, lots of traffic, and probably hitting the brakes harder than I need to.

I'm going to try the Galfer semi-metallics next, because I could pick them up at cyclegear. A good Honda dealer is a bit out of the way for me.

Gonna pick up another pair of OEM pads to keep on hand for the next change.

Nice. Let us know how they work.

I run Galfer ceramic pads on my racebike -- and once they get hot they are amazing.

I'm just impressed you're burning through pads in < 10k miles. Is anyone else doing that? I've managed right at 19k each out of the last two sets of OEM pads and have no complaints, but I sure would if I was only getting half that from them. Good luck, let us know how they work. My experience with the non-OEM pads is they work really well, feel great, but they always wear much quicker than OEM -- hopefully not in this case.

trey

I'm thinking I'd sacrifice a bit of rotor life to not have to change brake pads more often than oil.

You might say that now..............BUT.....................have you seen the price for the rotor ????

$318.00

One solution................. with the front brake use more rear brake on every stop.

You might say that now..............BUT.....................have you seen the price for the rotor ????

$318.00

One solution................. with the front brake use more rear brake on every stop.

oof! :eek:

Hopefully there is (or will be eventually, *gulp*) an aftermarket rotor available for less than that, somewhere...

:grumble:

stoopid Linked Brake System that activates front brake with rear brake use on my bike.

:grumble:

$318.00

Yeah, I think I've seen them for 275, list price is an outrageous $413

I definitely do need to use more rear brake, rear pads are less than half worn. The pedal is a bit high with my dropped pegs, makes it a bit harder to modulate smoothly with my foot. I tend to just use it very lightly. Gotta fiddle to get it lower, have a less awkward angle in my foot, currently at bottom floor on the switch adjustment.

Got the galfer pads in, went in much easier than the EBC. Old pads were just starting to show metal teeth through the Friction material, oops.

So brakes are a very important topic for me. I brake hard, very hard, a lot. I run the mountains with sport bikes and other speed addicts like Yellow Wolf so I am full throttle full brakes a lot. The stock pads work but have vibration/shuddering issues. My stock pads lasted 9,500 miles and were shot. I installed EBC HHs that never felt right and after a long hard ride with only 1,500 miles on them the outer pad had a large section of pad material break off. The front end momentarily locked up but it happened right in front of my house as I was riding circle waiting for the garage door to open.

I needed brake pads quickly for a ride and I did some cross reference research and found the late model Triumph Bonnevilles use the same pad so I went to my Honda/Triumph dealer and he had the Triumphs pads in stock. They did not have the Honda pads. Same exact cost and the pads are manufactured by Nissan, or at least they have Nissan stamped on them.

Bottom line...they are fantastic. Better bite that the stock or the EBCs and fabulous feel. I have done 2K on them and not one single shudder, just pure, even stopping power. Hands down better than I ever imagined the single disk front brake could feel. I almost never wear out a rear brake because I normally don't use them. I could take them off my bikes cause I am a front brake all the time rider, usually. My linked brake Hondas wear out the rears but my other bike I have never changed them. With the NC I do use the rear when I am coming in hot and I love the fact it is fairly weak and therefore difficult to lock up. With my other sport bikes my rear tire was never on the ground during hard braking but the NC stays planted.

If anything comes up I will pass it on but I heartily recommend the Triumph Bonneville brake pads. When I say I have tested them I mean I really tested them. The pads fit an 06-14 Triumph Bonneville T100 865cc and they are HH rated. Best performance mod next to the Cogent suspension.

My stock pad burned on 5000km that's means 3000 miles... Unbelievable...
Now I have ebc for 7000km, they are still good, but I start some vibrations when I break...
Hope nothing wrong with a disc

Back