• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X - A Real Adventure

GT928

Reaction score
Visit site
I think we all get a little tired of people saying that the NC700X is not for off road riding. Below is a link to a 3000+ mile trip with a lot of those miles off road and I don't just mean gravel. Along with a couple KTM's, a Husky, a Multistrada, and a Super Tenere traveled a lone NC. Of course it had proper tires and a skid plate. The NC rider Dr. Zed said that he had no mechanical problems on the trip and often had to get parts for one of the other bikes when they broke. More than once he mentioned the tractability of the engine and the low center of gravity as positive attributes that were not always shared by the more "off road" oriented brethren on the trip. The Honda was the only bike with cast wheels and suffered but a single ding with no air leakage. If you look at the pictures you will be amazed at the type of terrain the NC traversed.

If this has been posted before, my apologies, but it did not come up in my search of the forum.

CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado - ADVrider

You MUST have a BMW GS or a KTM to go off roading right?

Nope, when you read about folk doing RTW trips, some or most of it on rough terrain, on a Honda C90 you realise that you can do it on ANY bike.

Nick sanders has done several RTW trips on an R1 for crying out loud!

Just read that entire thread, it was great!! I think we should get some NC riders together and do some of our own adventures.

I think we all get a little tired of people saying that the NC700X is not for off road riding. Below is a link to a 3000+ mile trip with a lot of those miles off road and I don't just mean gravel. Along with a couple KTM's, a Husky, a Multistrada, and a Super Tenere traveled a lone NC. Of course it had proper tires and a skid plate. The NC rider Dr. Zed said that he had no mechanical problems on the trip and often had to get parts for one of the other bikes when they broke. More than once he mentioned the tractability of the engine and the low center of gravity as positive attributes that were not always shared by the more "off road" oriented brethren on the trip. The Honda was the only bike with cast wheels and suffered but a single ding with no air leakage. If you look at the pictures you will be amazed at the type of terrain the NC traversed.

6.jpg

Looks somewhat like the trip Nortwestrider is planning Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. Then we will get some great pictures of an old short fat guy crashing a NC700.

SmileyHorny.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
That was a great thread...

If you have seen Long Way Round and Long Way Down (if you haven't, it is a great show available on Netflix), the mini-series about Ewen McGregor and Charley Boorman's cross country trip on motorcycles, you will see BMW GS1200's getting beat to sh*t on some of the worst roads in the world. I am sort of amazed in the NC's performance...half the price of the KTM and BMW, and it had zero mechanical issues. Maybe the rider wasn't thrashing it like the other riders were to their bikes, but I am impressed by it. Makes me want to start planning...

If this has been posted before, my apologies, but it did not come up in my search of the forum.

CannonTrek.CO - Bashing Big Bikes in the Backcountry of Colorado - ADVrider

Thanks for sharing that. It was a good read.

Wow, it must be something in the air, I just finished reading that thread a week ago. I didn't mention it here because I thought because of the age of the thread it had already been posted. I'm thinking of going back through the thread and save all of the pictures that have the NC in them. I sent a message about how good the engine braking on the DCT is to the guy on the Cagiva, whose name I can't remember, who said what a pain it was that his Rekluse auto-clutch would disengage all of the time at 2000 RPM.

OOPS!

I'm calendar-challenged (time-challenged, direction-challenged, ***-from-elbow-challenged), I just noticed the dates on this thread.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I great read for a dreary Sun afternoon with the broken ribs keeping me off the bike. While i realize Dr. Zed is 10x the rider i am he shows we can go off-road with the X like others on this list who ride the limits, and with care and planning and see views that otherwise are kept to the KLR, KTM, BMW, Tenere crowd or the occasional Honda C90 rider with more guts and desire. Thanks for the post whether new or old it was a great way to spend Sun afternoon... thank you thank you.

They mention somewhere in the thread about "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down", a couple miniseries that follow Ewen McGreggor and crew adventure riding around the world. I am a few episodes in and it is a blast to watch. Both are on Netflix.

Back