• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700S - Travelling and tools

Actually, if you use a coolant which contains silicates, it will eat away at the aluminum in the Honda radiator. Also, never use distilled water in a radiator. Distilled water (deionized) contains no ions, and water by nature wants ions, which it will take from the surrounding metal (aluminum) and deteriorate the radiator from the inside. Prestone does make a universal antifreeze but it cost more $$

Lots of coolants/antifreezes are silicate-free, and they all identify themselves as such; it has nothing to do with being for cars vs. motorcycles. Plain Prestone is both phosphate and silicate free, and as such meets the only requirements Honda has (silicate free ethylene glycol based coolant).

I don't know where you got the idea to not use distilled water, nor the implication that distilled and DI are the same, but both are wrong in the context of this forum. Use distilled (the stuff at the store which says "distilled water") when mixing with concentrated coolant.

It's a Honda. That sounds flippant but it's not going to need repair on the side of the road and if it does it's likely to be something you can't do on the side of the road with any tools you can practically carry anyway. I look at that way and one of my Honda touring bikes has been out of warranty 99,000 miles. I'd still ride it anywhere tomorrow with my few things and roadside assistance card. If I need a tool I don't have I can buy it when it's needed.

I'd take the 4 combo box end/open end wrenches to adjust the chain, a head lamp for hands-free lighting, tire plugging tools and a 12v pump, fuses, a few pieces of 14 gauge wire, electrical repair tape, a 5 mm allen, a 13mm wrench for the oil drain (with the 12 and 14 needed for the chain, a "p" type oil filter wrench that packs flat. Honda gave us a screwdriver if I'm not mistaken.

Using standard length tools that fit the fastener naturally works to keep available leverage and thus force to strip a fastener to a minimum. If he is a noob he'll cross thread something before he strips it and no torque wrench will help that. NEVER FORCE anything you can't thread and start turning by hand. If you think you will ride over 8,000 miles check and adjust the valves before leaving - they will be good for twice that distance.

I thought the Honda was invited along to haul tools for the Ducati. Did I miss something? <smiley goes here>

Bwahahaha, the Ducati is the biggest worry, not that many Ducati dealers along the way, but it's brand spanking new (but has been worn in), so hopefully, it'll hold it's own.

Maybe I just don't know enough or don't have enough experience. I don't ride my bike for 90 days at a time. I clean and lube my chain regularly, believe in proper oil changes, do all my preventative maintenance before I leave the house, and do it to the specs in the manual. That way, my emergency tool kit consists of a cell phone and a credit card, and I haven't once had to use it. However, my story would be different if I spent several weeks away from home.

I don't believe that newbies should be considered incompetent, nor do I wish to limit them to the Junior-Miss model 1/4" socket set. I have seen more botched jobs when people have used a wrong or inadequate tool, than when the proper tools were used. Besides, if everyone is so scared of you cross-threading something, they should be screaming for you to not take any tools at all. If your only mission is to fix it enough to get to town, forget the torque wrench and service manual. Heck, forget everything. Pack a length of heavy rope so the other bike can tow you to a dealer. Install one of those automatic chain oilers so you don't even have to worry about that.

I'm just saying that if I lived off my bike for three months and depended on it every day, I would want it done right. After 40+ years of riding like these guys have done, maybe I'll be able to eyeball 19 or 72 ft/lbs. Until then, I'll do it the way the book tells me to. You do it the way you want to. I really only latched onto the torque wrench because you said you wanted one in your original post.

Have a great ride.

Additional items:

Jumper cables (small motorcycle type that connects to electrical pigtails).
Small hose (used for siphoning gasoline from car, to refuel motorcycle).
Headlamp and batteries.
Chain lube (and tooth brush for radiator cleaning).
Tooth brush (extra one for radiator cleaning).
Pipe clamp (water hose).
Bicycle pump (more reliable than compressor, regarding battery).

Torque wrench:

Don't bring torque wrench; just use fixed wrenches.
However, you can 'train' yourself torquing bolts but practising before your trip. Use a torque wrench on some bolt, torqued to to specified amount. You will learn the 'feel' of how much grip will arise from the last quarter turn of the properly torqued bolts.

Last edited:
However, you can 'train' yourself torquing bolts but practising before your trip. Use a torque wrench on some bolt, torqued to to specified amount. You will learn the 'feel' of how much grip will arise from the last quarter turn of the properly torqued bolts.
Ok for on the road but check torque when you get home. Lots of people think they are in the ballpark by feel but never met one who can come close to proving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, if you use a coolant which contains silicates, it will eat away at the aluminum in the Honda radiator. Also, never use distilled water in a radiator. Distilled water (deionized) contains no ions, and water by nature wants ions, which it will take from the surrounding metal (aluminum) and deteriorate the radiator from the inside. Prestone does make a universal antifreeze but it cost more $$

Regarding silicates, the aluminum radiator is not so much the issue. Most cars now have aluminum radiators, too. The issue with the silicates is that they are abrasive and wear out the water pump seals. Do some research on Goldwing water pump failures from silicates, and you will see.

Also, regarding your statement to never use distilled water in a radiator, you'd better tell Honda that they've screwed up. The NC owner's manual states on page 63 that the recommended Pro Honda HP coolant is a pre-mixed solution of antifreeze and distilled water :eek:. The manual also states that using tap water can cause corrosion.

One last thing, distilled and deionized water are not exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
Back