• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700 New Owner's review after 2 weeks

With that kind of riding you should reach at least 70 mpg (us) in a very few tank fillings! At least after the first service at 1000 miles where the oil is changed from Honda standard "break-in oil" to a more standard slick version like Motul or whatever you got over there.

EDIT:
If you are cruising at 3-4000 rpm you can easily lower it at least 1000 rpm! Cruising is very well done by the bike at revs from 2000 and up.

I did find myself experimenting a bit, and indeed, it's easy cruising at 2,500 rpm in any gear! :)

The 4,000 was a high mark for the most part, aside from a few blasts here and there, it's been dead on around 3,000 rpm, as that's what my F800ST was pretty happy at, and I usually stayed between 3,000 and 3,750 with that bike. Am trying to see what those similar tach numbers feel like on the NC for now, to compare.

I think you are right as far as the tank not being "full" full from the Dealer, as I kept an eye on my tripmeter after I filled up this time, and I juuuuust dropped down to 4 bars on the gauge pulling into the driveway, and I've travelled 151.1 km's on the trip. Apparently, the gauge can show full, with as much as 90 odd miles worth of gas used up.

How that could effect a distance travelled of 266 km's and 12.5 litres consumed, I have no idea I'm afraid...

I am really curious to see what my next tank fill is! :D

Hmm.

Well my second tank fuel consumption was better, but still kindy sucky compared to seemingly, everyone else here...:confused:

304 km's travelled, 12.24 liters to fill.

24.83 km/litre or 58.40 US mpg.

All city mileage, and I was even more gentle on the throttle, and kept the revs way below 3,000 for the most part.

The bike "feels" great actually, and if this was the best mpg I ever get, I would still love it and not have any regrets. I do imagine the (eventual) highway mileage I do will pick up the average considerably, and it really can only get better as she breaks in further, I'm sure.

Been inactive in this forum ever since I got my bike. Just went for a 800km ride, and would like to share some initial views about the bike with fellow riders, or potential riders:

View attachment 855

Have a few thoughts about the bike to share.

1) 6th gear is indeed overdrive gear. Once engaged 6th gear, vibration is reduced quite abit and engine feels very stable. However, expect no power available. It's a "purely cruising" gear.

2) 150km/h is going to be the comfortable highway cruising speed, with my height + OEM touring screen. At this speed, bike will still be able to have power left to pull away if necessary.

3) After 150km/h, acceleration increases slowly. Ending of power liao. Top speed tried is around 170km/h. I'm sure can go 180km/h, but the suspensions wouldn't be able to give you a confident ride.

4) Stock suspension is really soft. Comfy, but not very inspiring will cornering. During this ride, swapped with the Versys for a stretch of road, there's really a big difference...

5) The front brakes are really pretty good. Don't really lose to the versys double disc based on both tester... Though he think it's better than his Versys. :p So, those who think single disc is no good, think again.. The big rotor isn't there for nothing. :)

6) Will need riser for comfortable riding. But this is debatable. There's no stress on the upper and lower back. Just arms. But if put riser, it could potentially add stress to the back instead...

7) The stock seat really cannot make it.. Luckily I got the air hawk in time... Enough said...

8) Bike's power range is very different from other bikes. Most bikes are high rev, and riders are usually used to getting power at high rpm by dropping 2 gears. However, 1 gear is the max you can drop with the NC700.. By dropping 2 gears, you hit above 5k rpm, thats it. That's when the power actually dip... So, cant ride aggressively, adapt to smooth riding technique like I did on my ex-scooters.

9) FC is fantastic. However, if rev alot, still can get 26.8km/h. Otherwise, for regular hard riding, 28km/h, smooth commuting; 29-29.5km/h.

10) Bike's weight management is fantastic. It's so easy to push around, lift up from side stand (compared to the Versys).

11) There isn't a hell lot of power for 700cc, but what the range that it has is very use-able for general riding. I hardly full throttle with my previous Blackbird, which is quite a waste imo.

Overall, this bike really impressed me more than I thought having come from the Super Tenere..

Having come from Versys I would like to share some thoughts about the NC700X.

The best parts about NC700X are the DCT, fuel consumption, versatility and the price.

It's doing 28-30km/L, and the DCT is just fun and practical. That piece of technology is the focus of the entire NC series. With the price same as Versys 3 years ago, I think NC700X is of a very high value.

It's NC forum here I know, but I have to say, Versys is an even more fun bike. It's lighter, turn more rapidly, more powerful, still versatile enough to have full luggage system, the seat is firmer and less slippery, etc...

Yes, I like my NC700X DCT, just not as much as I do with Versys.

Like:
1. DCT (yea, just like playing GT5, and GT5 can't switch between Auto/Manual/Standard mode/Dull mode on the fly!)
2. Front brake (it's got C-ABS and very good feel for the price)
3. Low center of mass (typical Honda?)
4. Great sport touring tire
5. Helmet compartment (practical and surprised many of my friends)
6. Made in Japan quality (Versi are now Made in Thailand)
7. Low price

Dislike (sorry...):
1. Weight
2. Wheelbase too long
3. Lazy turning (caster angle too large?)
4. Non-adjustable suspension damping
5. Resonance vibration at 3.5k-4k RPM (it's called "character" I know ;)
6. Seat... too slippery (great when you got hot gal at the back)

Given a second chance, would I still buy it in 2012?
YES! Simply because of the DCT. Thank you Honda.

Been inactive in this forum ever since I got my bike. Just went for a 800km ride, and would like to share some initial views about the bike with fellow riders, or potential riders:

View attachment 855

1) 6th gear is indeed overdrive gear. Once engaged 6th gear, vibration is reduced quite abit and engine feels very stable. However, expect no power available. It's a "purely cruising" gear.

2) 150km/h is going to be the comfortable highway cruising speed, with my height + OEM touring screen. At this speed, bike will still be able to have power left to pull away if necessary.

3) After 150km/h, acceleration increases slowly. Ending of power liao. Top speed tried is around 170km/h. I'm sure can go 180km/h, but the suspensions wouldn't be able to give you a confident ride.

4) Stock suspension is really soft. Comfy, but not very inspiring will cornering. During this ride, swapped with the Versys for a stretch of road, there's really a big difference...

5) The front brakes are really pretty good. Don't really lose to the versys double disc based on both tester... Though he think it's better than his Versys. :p So, those who think single disc is no good, think again.. The big rotor isn't there for nothing. :)

6) Will need riser for comfortable riding. But this is debatable. There's no stress on the upper and lower back. Just arms. But if put riser, it could potentially add stress to the back instead...

7) The stock seat really cannot make it.. Luckily I got the air hawk in time... Enough said...

8) Bike's power range is very different from other bikes. Most bikes are high rev, and riders are usually used to getting power at high rpm by dropping 2 gears. However, 1 gear is the max you can drop with the NC700.. By dropping 2 gears, you hit above 5k rpm, thats it. That's when the power actually dip... So, cant ride aggressively, adapt to smooth riding technique like I did on my ex-scooters.

9) FC is fantastic. However, if rev alot, still can get 26.8km/h. Otherwise, for regular hard riding, 28km/h, smooth commuting; 29-29.5km/h.

10) Bike's weight management is fantastic. It's so easy to push around, lift up from side stand (compared to the Versys).

11) There isn't a hell lot of power for 700cc, but what the range that it has is very use-able for general riding. I hardly full throttle with my previous Blackbird, which is quite a waste imo.

Overall, this bike really impressed me more than I thought having come from the Super Tenere..

View attachment 855

Having come from Versys I would like to share some thoughts about the NC700X.

The best parts about NC700X are the DCT, fuel consumption, versatility and the price.

It's doing 28-30km/L, and the DCT is just fun and practical. That piece of technology is the focus of the entire NC series. With the price same as Versys 3 years ago, I think NC700X is of a very high value.

It's NC forum here I know, but I have to say, Versys is an even more fun bike. It's lighter, turn more rapidly, more powerful, still versatile enough to have full luggage system, the seat is firmer and less slippery, etc...

Yes, I like my NC700X DCT, just not as much as I do with Versys.

Like:
1. DCT (yea, just like playing GT5, and GT5 can't switch between Auto/Manual/Standard mode/Dull mode on the fly!)
2. Front brake (it's got C-ABS and very good feel for the price)
3. Low center of mass (typical Honda?)
4. Great sport touring tire
5. Helmet compartment (practical and surprised many of my friends)
6. Made in Japan quality (Versi are now Made in Thailand)
7. Low price

Dislike (sorry...):
1. Weight
2. Wheelbase too long
3. Lazy turning (caster angle too large?)
4. Non-adjustable suspension damping
5. Resonance vibration at 3.5k-4k RPM (it's called "character" I know ;)
6. Seat... too slippery (great when you got hot gal at the back)

Given a second chance, would I still buy it in 2012?
YES! Simply because of the DCT. Thank you Honda.

Back