• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700 and Fuel Quality

Kiernan

Reaction score
Visit site
For those that have had their NCs a while, how picky are they on the fuel you put in them? I recently heard that the fuel on the base I'm stationed at is pretty poor quality and was told that I should go off base to save my engine. Unfortunately, gas in Japan is extremely expensive so I'd rather not do that unless it's essential. I'm guessing since the NC is half a car engine and not exactly a high-performance 600RR or similar that it will run fine on almost anything.

So what have you all experienced?

For those that have had their NCs a while, how picky are they on the fuel you put in them? I recently heard that the fuel on the base I'm stationed at is pretty poor quality and was told that I should go off base to save my engine. Unfortunately, gas in Japan is extremely expensive so I'd rather not do that unless it's essential. I'm guessing since the NC is half a car engine and not exactly a high-performance 600RR or similar that it will run fine on almost anything.

So what have you all experienced?
When I was stationed there, we DID go off base to fill up. Much, much better grade gas. Cmon man, look at what you're getting for mileage on your NC. :cool:

In the late 70's gas from the motor pool was just plain evil. 'Bout 70 octane. P-2 crash trucks, when warm, would run equally well with the ignition on or off.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the gasoline available in Japan, whether on a military base or not. :)

I have not experienced any difference in how my bike runs based upon what fuel I put in it. I'm coming up on 30,000 miles now, and bought it new in the late fall of 2012. That said, I do put my own injector cleaner in on a regular basis. Not a 'shock' dose, just small amounts/maintenance dose. It also just works out that Top Tier gasoline is generally no more expensive than the shadiest-looking of corner stores anywhere on my route to work & home, so that's what I usually put in also. :)

I slosh in what the minimum is that Honda recommends in the manual, and I'm not overly picky about anything else either; when/where/brand/ethanol/etc., but I do run a tankful of the more spendy Chevron top level stuff every rare once in awhile, for a potential (arguable) benefit via the more techron and "cleaning agents" stuff claimed to be in the 94 octane.

If I lay a bike up for what might be months or more at a time, I will also fill it with the 94, and a wee squirt of fuel stabilizer. I understand that petrol can lose octane rating over lengthy periods of time, so based on that premise, right or wrong, I'm willing to gamble the extra couple dollars at filling time, over the course of what may turn out to be an extended hibernation.

Other than running out empty :eek: I've never, ever, had a fuel related problem using the minimum recommended fuel by the manufacturer. *knock on wood*

I've never had a problem with anything I've put in. Like some here, I prefer to run non-ethanol. There's now a gas station exactly halfway to work that carries it in 87. The station about 5 miles from work has it in I think 93. I know it will run on regular gasoline, but I don't mind paying an extra $1.50 or so a tank to get what I want. But, when I've been caught out away from name brand gas, the NC has never gotten indigestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back