• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My X arrives on Wednesday

Saxeus

Reaction score
Visit site
*silly happy dance*

The candy red ones were apparently selling like hot cakes at the dealership. I had to wait for a DCT to be brought from the head office anyway so I asked him to order a white one. Just realised - my dog is black and white, my phone is black and white, and now my bike will be black and white. The universe must be synchronised... :p

Time to learn the piano!

Post pics when your bike arrives. Would also love to see what your part of S. Africa looks like.

Will do.

I bet you ate a lot of Oreo - Milk's Favorite Cookie - when you were a kid.

Oreos? We have them here now but not when I was a kid. We were "languishing" under severe economic sanctions back then.

*silly happy dance*

The candy red ones were apparently selling like hot cakes at the dealership. I had to wait for a DCT to be brought from the head office anyway so I asked him to order a white one. Just realised - my dog is black and white, my phone is black and white, and now my bike will be black and white. The universe must be synchronised... :p

Congratulations - you have made the right colour choice....

Attachments

• IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 148
Congratulations - you have made the right colour choice....

That's one neat 'n tidy setup you've got there. Ah yes, the Ixil pipe. I like the look of those but not sure if I can get one here. Might be prohibitively expensive even if I can find one.

What is "Optional H Mode"? Does your bike hover? ;)

I originally chose the matt white as I thought it went well with the matt black, and if visibility is going to be a factor from the side in whatever situation I figured white would be the most practical colour. As it turns out though the dealer told me this morning that they only have DCT's available in black and white. The grey/silver and candy red are no longer available with DCT here. Maybe revised colours from Honda in 2015? I'll kick myself if they release the metallic blue to the rest of the world now. That would have been my first choice, hands down. I will also be getting either SW Motech or Puig crash bars soon - the two brands look almost identical and seem to use the same engine mountings but are quite different price-wise, the Puig being the more expensive. I'll have to do some digging for some expert opinions on this.

I also read what seems to be a rather controversial issue regarding engine run-ins. Most manufacturers seem to recommend an "easy" run-in over the first 1000km but don't seem to explain why. This other guy's article says a hard run-in over the first 30km or so followed quickly by an oil change is much better for the piston rings. The article made sense but I'm not at all a 'machine-head' so I wouldn't be able to tell either way. I'll have to do more digging I suppose.

That's one neat 'n tidy setup you've got there. Ah yes, the Ixil pipe. I like the look of those but not sure if I can get one here. Might be prohibitively expensive even if I can find one.

What is "Optional H Mode"? Does your bike hover? ;)

I originally chose the matt white as I thought it went well with the matt black, and if visibility is going to be a factor from the side in whatever situation I figured white would be the most practical colour. As it turns out though the dealer told me this morning that they only have DCT's available in black and white. The grey/silver and candy red are no longer available with DCT here. Maybe revised colours from Honda in 2015? I'll kick myself if they release the metallic blue to the rest of the world now. That would have been my first choice, hands down. I will also be getting either SW Motech or Puig crash bars soon - the two brands look almost identical and seem to use the same engine mountings but are quite different price-wise, the Puig being the more expensive. I'll have to do some digging for some expert opinions on this.

I also read what seems to be a rather controversial issue regarding engine run-ins. Most manufacturers seem to recommend an "easy" run-in over the first 1000km but don't seem to explain why. This other guy's article says a hard run-in over the first 30km or so followed quickly by an oil change is much better for the piston rings. The article made sense but I'm not at all a 'machine-head' so I wouldn't be able to tell either way. I'll have to do more digging I suppose.

I'm sure you can get an IXIL delivered to your door - they're not expensive compared to other bigger name brands, Akrapovic for example. Optional 'H' Mode? Hooligan, but that's another story. From what I can see on Honda's UK webpage and the UK NC forum, there are no colour changes for 2015 - I agree that a blue NC would look good.

As for engine run ins, just go with the flow, don't thrash it for a few hundred km and don't labour the engine either. On the other hand, let it off it's leash from time to time.

Plenty of advice on this and the UK forum nc700.co.uk

Keep us posted.

PICT2330_edit.jpg

Well, today is a day of several firsts. The bike only arrived this morning and not last Wednesday as promised, probably due to the festive season slow-down. Better late than never I suppose.

I took the first ride on it about two hours ago. It's a lot heavier than my friend's little 125 off-roader but I managed several neat and steady corners (one I'm not too proud of though but nobody was around to see) around the neighbourhood.

I also managed a first wave to a fellow biker. No clutch means a free left hand to engage in such pleasantries. I could see he was a veteran with what looked to me like a vintage bike. I believe he could clearly see I was a novice with a shiny new bike, shiny new helmet, and squeaky clean gear. And yes, he did wave back.

Shortly after that I managed the first laydown. I decided to try a slow u-turn to cruise back the way I came but failed to notice a large stretch of gravel on the opposite road margin. Once I saw it I made the mistake of looking at where the front wheel was going and not through the turn. I also made the mistake of cutting the throttle too soon and felt the bike lean too far. It was essentially a 0kph drop but I did instinctively put my foot down to try to catch it. Alas it was too late and I eased it down as best as I could. I picked it back up with a bit of effort but I might have strained my back a little - we'll see if it complains tomorrow. I was surprised how little damage there was though - the bike didn't slide or bouncy at all. The exhaust took the brunt of it and got a bit scuffed but otherwise the only other damage I could see was a small scuff on the outside of the mirror. Nothing on the fairing or handlebar ends. As far as I could tell nobody was around to see this either. :rolleyes: I'm not too worried about this though as I plan to keep this bike for a good few years and I'm sure I'll drop it again in the future.

It seems the dealership only filled up the reserve tank as the bottom "E" bar was already flashing when I started it up for the first time. The closest petrol station was already closed and I didn't want to head into traffic yet to get to the others so I'll have to try again tomorrow for the first fill up. I see a number flashing above the clock was at 0.5 when I got home again, which I assume is the remaining reserve capacity. The manual says there's approximately 3.3 litres left when the "E" bar starts blinking.

Back