• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My thoughts on loud pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcellor8

Reaction score
Visit site
To me, a slight exhaust rumble is appealing. Maybe I'm just getting old, but extremely loud exhaust on public roads annoy the hell out of me, although at the race track they are very satisfying. Way too many posers (mostly) on big twins with obnoxiously loud pipes make the excuse "loud pipes save lives." I call BS, sober, defensive, and responsible driving saves lives. The more annoying, negative attention we bring to whatever we like to do, the more the haters are gonna hate. I prefer to walk softly... Your thoughts?

Loud pipes annoy lots of people particularly the non-riding public. We are in the minority and will continue to see the erosion of our rights to ride where we want to as long as our group as a whole is characterized by the loud pipe crowd.

I recently rode behind a Harley with very loud pipes, I couldn't hear my bike at all and after 30 minutes I was getting a headache. I kept dropping back further and further. I ended up at least 1/4 mile behind. I told the owner I would never ride behind him again. (I didn't make any friends, I also told him my bike was quieter, faster, got better mpg, and cost 1/4 of his)

Did you know that HD's were called "The silent grey fellows" ?

ed

I like loud pipes but run mine with the baffle in (still a nice deep boom). Yes I believe on occasion a louder than stock pipe has helped me in a situation or two to alert dumb drivers who have no idea you are there. You can ride as carefully or as defensively as you want there will always be an idiot who is not aware of your presence and anything that can help alert them is fine by me. Sure you can beep your horn but I prefer to rev the twin and let the growl alert them. Will I be removing the baffle from my can again? Nope as it is unusually loud for a road legal can so makes me very happy :)

You can have after markey cans that are leagal. It's the guys that have ileagal ones or take the the baffles out of leagal ones that will kill motorcycling in the UK at least. There is already movement to ban bikes from the national parks due mainly to noise. As 90% of the best biking roads are in the UK it will kill bike sales leaving only us commuters to our boring week day rides

To me, a slight exhaust rumble is appealing. Maybe I'm just getting old, but extremely loud exhaust on public roads annoy the hell out of me, although at the race track they are very satisfying. Way too many posers (mostly) on big twins with obnoxiously loud pipes make the excuse "loud pipes save lives." I call BS, sober, defensive, and responsible driving saves lives. The more annoying, negative attention we bring to whatever we like to do, the more the haters are gonna hate. I prefer to walk softly... Your thoughts?

If you, a rider, are annoyed by loud pipes, what about the general public? They don't even probably care about your slight exhaust rumble, and they're mighty well annoyed about open pipes.

If loud pipes alert inattentive drivers, why don't they face the pipes forward so they are more effective? Along with their loud pipes, is everyone wearing Hi-Vis ATGATT, or just a black t-shirt? If saving lives and safety is everything, then everything must be about safety.

I always wonder why loud bikers consider themselves so special. If every car and truck driver on the road thought like that and had loud pipes, the streets and highways would be a deafening roar. Your little motorcycle engine could no longer compete with the din. Thankfully, the majority of road users, and many riders, are socially responsible.

I can see this thread going down the toilet real fast. This debate will never be settled.

Greg

Last edited:
I appreciate good sounding exhaust. That being said, just because it's loud doesn't mean it sounds good...and some yahoo revving his motor with loud pipes is NOT a good sound to me.
Everyone has their own idea of what sounds, or looks for that matter, good to them.
IMHO nothing sounds better than a V8 with a deep rumble that's a little loud. Second in line is a harley with thunderheader or rhinehart exhaust. It's up to the operator as to how and when that sound is used.
I can't hear the motor of my NC over 20 mph and I like it that way!

I am about to move into a new neighborhood (renting), and the HOA will not allow motorcycles in the community.

Yes, you read that correctly.

We all have to keep our bikes in a parking lot near the guardhouse. We are able to bring them to the house on a trailer, but they can't be ridden. It's gonna be a hassle.

I blame loud pipes.

I am about to move into a new neighborhood (renting), and the HOA will not allow motorcycles in the community.

Yes, you read that correctly.

We all have to keep our bikes in a parking lot near the guardhouse. We are able to bring them to the house on a trailer, but they can't be ridden. It's gonna be a hassle.

I blame loud pipes.

I blame your HOA!!!!

Excuse my ignorance but what is a HOA?

A evil secret origination that that has nothing better to do than try to tell you what to do with your house. Most HOAs are ran by grumpy retired person, or some arrogant fool on a power grab.

I like a nice low rumble, but I don't like it loud. The thing about loud pipes saves lives in my mind is not something to be relied on. The sound is going away from you, not in front or to the side where it would be needed. That and most new cars are being made to not let outside sounds into the cabin as much as possible so they still wont hear you.

HOAs are best described by Jase form Duck Dynasty

"You mean there is an organization that exists only to tell me what I can and can't do on my own property? And I pay them!!!!"

I think of loud pipes the same as someone who smokes cigarettes, I don't care if you have them, I just don't like either in my face. The few who have no respect for other people are the reason a blanket gets thrown on the problem. There may have been one biker with loud pipes that would come home to Terminal g's neighborhood at all hours of the night, on a very loud bike waking people up etc. I think that would fall under disturbing the peace, the biker thinks that it is his right. If the HOA were to tell that particular guy he could not ride his loud bike in the neighborhood, he would say they are picking on him or singling him out. Probably file a lawsuit causing the homeowners to have to lawyer up and spend a lot of money. So, they just ban them all and the problem goes away, right along with the rights of all the responsible bike owners in that neighborhood. I think it all boils down to respect, or the lack of. I don't agree with all the rules of a HOA, but they do help a lot of people live in a somewhat confined area peacefully. I learned a long time ago to read those rules prior to buying a home there. If I could not live with those rules, I looked elsewhere.

Last edited:
A evil secret origination that that has nothing better to do than try to tell you what to do with your house. Most HOAs are ran by grumpy retired person, or some arrogant fool on a power grab.

I like a nice low rumble, but I don't like it loud. The thing about loud pipes saves lives in my mind is not something to be relied on. The sound is going away from you, not in front or to the side where it would be needed. That and most new cars are being made to not let outside sounds into the cabin as much as possible so they still wont hear you.

LOL. Yeah - it actually is a retirement community. Great, safe neighborhood for my wife and daughter though. Oh well, we won't be there forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back