• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My HJC no frills XL full face helmet fogs up

750dct

Reaction score
Visit site
I have another one with a double wall, snowmobile type, visor with a drop-down internal visor, but it says on it not to use it on the street. It seems like it might be the answer but why does it say that? Also, it won't fit in the front trunk area, (are you listening Honda?)

It is not clear enough to meet DOT visibility requirements. Even my Shoei Pinlocks say 'Only for Daytime Use' because no tint is allowed at night. If it's a DOT helmet, you probably won't be bothered but I will leave that decision up to you.

I always leave my HJC shield cracked a bit at the bottom, which eliminates fogging (plus I like having some air) even in the winter

42BOZ95h.jpg

It is not clear enough to meet DOT visibility requirements. Even my Shoei Pinlocks say 'Only for Daytime Use' because no tint is allowed at night. If it's a DOT helmet, you probably won't be bothered but I will leave that decision up to you.
It's not a matter of day and night, I'm just wondering why the double wall shield/visor can't be worn on the street (day only). Also, I'm not a fan of keeping a visor cracked a bit in cold weather.

Last edited:
Are you saying the helmet says to not wear it on the street, or that the visor says that?

If the helmet is USDOT certified, then it should at least be legal to wear on the street. If it's just the visor, then the likelihood is that HJC either didn't test it to see if it meets USDOT requirements for street use, or they did and it doesn't (...or they didn't but they have other reasons to strongly suspect that it won't meet requirements).... That might be related to clarity, or the impact protection, or color, or...

A couple of ideas. Would a pin lock lens work? If the helmet says not to use it on the street is it possible that it does not have the testing so it is snowmobile only?

I would guess the visor will distort the light through the double lens

Are you saying the helmet says to not wear it on the street, or that the visor says that?

If the helmet is USDOT certified, then it should at least be legal to wear on the street. If it's just the visor, then the likelihood is that HJC either didn't test it to see if it meets USDOT requirements for street use, or they did and it doesn't (...or they didn't but they have other reasons to strongly suspect that it won't meet requirements).... That might be related to clarity, or the impact protection, or color, or...
It's not a helmet thing, it says on the new double wall visor package not to use on the street and also right on some of the double wall visors also.

IIRC Pinlock inserts are cautioned not for night use though I have done so. The double pane creates reflections from oncoming headlights and street lighting.

Perhaps the HJC breath box might help, although I don’t use one or know if it would be effective. I have a breath box and a pinlock, but use neither. I just crack the face shield a bit whenever fogging is an issue.

IIRC Pinlock inserts are cautioned not for night use though I have done so. The double pane creates reflections from oncoming headlights and street lighting.
Thanks, I figured that might be it. I have another helmet for night riding so I think I will try the dual pane one for days.

Perhaps the HJC breath box might help, although I don’t use one or know if it would be effective. I have a breath box and a pinlock, but use neither. I just crack the face shield a bit whenever fogging is an issue.
I'm not a fan of pin locks or cracking open shields so I might look into a breath box. My snowmobile helmets have them and they work fine.

I checked my pinlock packaging and there was no warning on it and I haven't experienced any distortion at night. I probably will now I know you aren't supposed to use it...

I checked my pinlock packaging and there was no warning on it and I haven't experienced any distortion at night. I probably will now I know you aren't supposed to use it...
I don't like the idea of looking through a lot of plastic, so I ordered a $12 universal HJC breath box. My CS 12 helmet has a chin vent that directs air up behind the shield, but I haven't tested that yet (just got it).

I don't like the idea of looking through a lot of plastic, so I ordered a $12 universal HJC breath box. My CS 12 helmet has a chin vent that directs air up behind the shield, but I haven't tested that yet (just got it).
Was out this evening. No distortion. I don't really notice the pin lock except when crouched at speed. Then I peek above it.
Helmet is an AGV Compact ST (Numo in North America). The pinlock definitely works especially with the vents open.

One of my helmets is an HJC with the breath box. I have tried the breath box, but it usually ends up just fogging my glasses. My winter riding solution is no breath box and leaving the visor open at low speed. Highway speeds the little vents do enough to keep from fogging up, but slower speeds it's just not enough airflow.
I had an AGV a while ago that was great in winter riding, but it got old enough to retire a while ago.

Update on the fogging; I took the NC to the gym a mile away, 22*f, CSR2 HJC helmet, and just a breath box but it fogged up in 2 minutes, but I think the box didn't fit right. Today I put my dual pane snowmobile shield on my IS16 HJC helmet with just a breath deflector in it and no fogging, even with heavy breathing and 22*f again. I will try to fix the universal HJC breath box and try that again also.

Update on fogging; I didn't know the HJC standard breath-box had a bendable band in it so now is conforms to my face and my cl-sp HJC helmet with a single pane shield works fine in 25* F weather, but it fogs a bit if you sit too long in one place. My IS-16 helmet with the dual pane snowmobile shield is totally fog proof. Pin lock shields are probably a cure also and I have a couple hj-09 shields with pin lock posts, but I don't like the idea of looking though double plastic.

I have used pin locks on my last two helmets and will continue to do so. I have not noticed a “do not use at night” warning, and it doesn’t seem to make any difference when I do. As for looking through double plastic, it doesn’t affect my vision whatsoever. For the record, I live in a very foggy environment.

Back