• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mounting front brake disk woes - Helicoil?

bulpup

Reaction score
Visit site
Bad time to realize my torque wrench was broken. Two pillions stripped before I got wise. Any thoughts on using a helicoil for these or is the wheel toast?

Some swear by helicoils but some have had them back out. If they're not put in correctly there can be problems. On a brake disc that would make me nervous. If it was my bike I'd look into tapping it out. Tap and die sets are cheap at Harbor Freight if you don't already have one. If you can find larger bolts that would work (bolt head clearance issue??) I'd probably go that route instead of a helicoil.

Some swear by helicoils but some have had them back out. If they're not put in correctly there can be problems. On a brake disc that would make me nervous. If it was my bike I'd look into tapping it out. Tap and die sets are cheap at Harbor Freight if you don't already have one. If you can find larger bolts that would work (bolt head clearance issue??) I'd probably go that route instead of a helicoil.

Use locktite when installing helicoils. That is locktite to hold the coil in, not on the bolt.

As a CNC Machinist I use Helicoils every day in MIL-Spec parts without a problem. If the threads are mashed but salvageable you can use a forming tap to chase the threads without removing more material from the hole. If the threads are stripped out totally then you can use a helicoil kit and just apply a few drops of red locktite to the OD of the helicoil before spinning it in. But use the locktite sparingly, a little will go a long way. And make sure to let the locktite set before threading the bolt in or you will effectively glue the bolt into place near-permanently.

A larger bolt will not work. The bolt is a special shallow head 8mm Allen head shoulder bolt with a 10mm diameter by 8mm long shoulder. The braking force is taken against the shoulder. So long as the helicoil / timesert tap OD (NOT drill OD!) is less than 10mm, it should work fine. Otherwise, the wheel is a throw-away.

If you decide for some reason that you don't want to attempt the repair, I have a good used wheel that I will sell for $200 plus shipping.

I have used my share of helicoils, professionally and recreational.

Not one problem and this appears to be a very good application.

I'd only say make sure you buy a kit. Don't bother buying the individual drill/tap/inserts/insert tool separately.

Thanks for the replies. I cast a wide net looking for answers and most people I talk to say a repair will
never give me peace of mind. Seeing as it is the only brake rotor and a repair can only be perfect if done perfectly, I am opting for a new wheel.
Thanks for the offer Beemerphile but I have a very local source that has already got the new one on the way.

Good move. Better to be extra safe when it comes to the wheels and brakes. It may be more expensive, but it will be less than hospital bill and lost work hours if it broke at a critical point in your ride.

Back