• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycling and kilts

Saxeus

Reaction score
Visit site
It has occurred to me that if I switch my mode of transport to a bike, wearing a kilt might be somewhat problematic.

I occasionally wear a kilt (almost always Regimental) to some social events and has not really been a problem except for the occasional flash of the giblets in getting in or out of my car - the MX-5 is fairly low. And of course there's the safety aspect of not wearing proper motorcycle trousers. Other than that has anyone here established some practical wisdom of kilted motorcycling?

A brief google yielded this and this.

LOL! Ride "Side Saddle" I guess. Or a scooter might be a more choice ride than the NCX in a kilt. Save the kilt for the formal occasion.

How do you get protective gear like riding pants over the top of a kilt?

The top of the kilt wouldn't be the problem. It's not like the sporran is attached. The problem would be finding room to tuck 5+ yards of wool into your riding pants. Then of course you have to not crush the pleats or sweat through the whole thing. I could wear a dress under my gear, but I wouldn't want to do it for any kind of formal occasion.
Also pretty sure I could manage my (manual) NC sidesaddle. Left foot would be perfectly able to shift, it would just take careful braking. Regardless, not a solution for a kilt, as the wind would put it fluttering around your chin.
Now I want to see if my dad can fit any of his kilts in his riding gear...

Last edited:
It has occurred to me that if I switch my mode of transport to a bike, wearing a kilt might be somewhat problematic.

I occasionally wear a kilt (almost always Regimental) to some social events and has not really been a problem except for the occasional flash of the giblets in getting in or out of my car - the MX-5 is fairly low. And of course there's the safety aspect of not wearing proper motorcycle trousers. Other than that has anyone here established some practical wisdom of kilted motorcycling?

A brief google yielded this and this.

6.jpg

smileyzipmouth.jpg

00.jpg

Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Pant

You do not step into the legs, the entire pants unzips, and you zip it up around your body.

Last edited:
The top of the kilt wouldn't be the problem. It's not like the sporran is attached. The problem would be finding room to tuck 5+ yards of wool into your riding pants. Then of course you have to not crush the pleats or sweat through the whole thing. I could wear a dress under my gear, but I wouldn't want to do it for any kind of formal occasion.
Also pretty sure I could manage my (manual) NC sidesaddle. Left foot would be perfectly able to shift, it would just take careful braking. Regardless, not a solution for a kilt, as the wind would put it fluttering around your chin.
Now I want to see if my dad can fit any of his kilts in his riding gear...

wear the kilt around your navel with the riding pants underneath... get to your location, drop the riding pants, and pull the kilt back down to your waist?

ride side mount.

Better yet, wear some proper gear when you ride. Change into your "formal attire" once you get there. Problem solved.

wear the kilt around your navel with the riding pants underneath... get to your location, drop the riding pants, and pull the kilt back down to your waist?

This.

There's got to be a way to clip the kilt to the pants of choice so it doesn't flap around everywhere.

Nope, not from a kilt wearing nationality, and I don't live in a kilt wearing country...
Wouldn't have even thought about it blowing around until you mentioned it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Back