• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Modified stock muffler

Angry Outcast

Reaction score
Visit site
So I like some of you were curious about how the NC would sound with a modified stock muffler. So I had the time this weekend, I figured why not crack her open. I cut off the inlet side behind the shield and looked around inside with my bore scope. Found the spot where I could open it up almost straight inline with the outlet pipe. I drilled a 1 3/4" hole as close to straight on with the outlet as I could get. I welded it back up, re installed it and fired it up. This is where the disappointment happened.....It made pretty much no difference. I put my DB meter on it and a whopping 5 decibels had been gained. All that work for almost nothing. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Oh well.... You tried! Thank you for posting your findings - I am sure it will keep many others from all that work for no gain...
I think I will go with Yoshimura R-77. Anyone has it? Opinions?

It would suit me on multiple high-mile days if the machine made no noise at all. I am only riding motorcycles until they perfect the flying carpet. Till then, I'll just push my earplugs in until they touch.

As far as the muffler mod, I think the cat converter is doing a lot of the muffling work. Many BMW GS riders replace the muffler with a simple straight pipe and the bikes are not excessively loud.

On my opinion, stock muffler looks little fatty =) plus new ixil make bike profile thinner from behind, i think that is better for riding in a traffic jam...

I love the deep, deep, bass of Termignoni piped Ducati's, Sato canned RC51's, VFR800's Moto Guzzies etc., (oddly enough I cannot stand the sound Harleys or their Oriental copies make, unless they're completely stock mufflered lol, then I like them-go figure.) In town, offroad, or a very short twisty road strafing excursion.

On the highway? Ugh! A once pleasant sound becomes to me, a horrible droning noise that even earplugs get defeated by.

I want as close to silence as I can get, when I'm riding for hours at a time on the highway.

Actually a 5db increase is a lot. The values are logarithmic, not simple math, and that increase represents a large increase in sound energy.

Just what you wanted to know, right?

Art

Oh well.... You tried! Thank you for posting your findings - I am sure it will keep many others from all that work for no gain...
I think I will go with Yoshimura R-77. Anyone has it? Opinions?

I have a Yosh slip on. It looks great and makes the bike sound fabulous IMO. I love twins with aftermarket cans. It is not too loud at all with cat in place. Take it for what it is worth as I am an admitted diva that rides pretty much to and from Starbucks. I have to thank Jason @ Bazzaz for hooking me up with the pipe and fuel controller. The bike has awakened and is a ton more responsive and has the sound I prefer.

I started it with the muffler off and believe me, the cat isnt absorbing much sound. I would run a straight on it but it only sounds good to me with heavy throttle that way. Low throttle/RPM it sounds a bit.....well........tractor like. You can just tell a difference in the sound but after about 30 or so MPH you cant hear it at all.( No earplugs ) The main reason I did this is I like the sound of these bikes with exhaust but I am lacking in the funds department. I have built many sportbike exhausts from scratch so I guess I will build one for this bike as well. I bet I could do my own slip on for under $100. If I get it done pics and a vid will be posted for sure.

Out of curiosity, how did the fuel controller and exhaust affect your overall fuel consumption of the bike?

I don't honestly know. I can track the current mileage I get with it on and post it up. I did not do a baseline stock so I am not sure the info I give would be useful. Sorry I don't have more in info to share.

Well, I got my custom pipe all done. What is the best way to post up pics on here so I can share my one off beauty with all of you? Oh, it also sounds amazing!!!!

Well, I got my custom pipe all done. What is the best way to post up pics on here so I can share my one off beauty with all of you? Oh, it also sounds amazing!!!!

Get a free flickr account. Upload your pics. Right click the pic to select and copy it's url.
Post a reply in this thread. Click on the little tree "insert image" icon in the reply toolbar.
Click on the "post url" tab and paste the url for your pic. Post your reply.
Bada bing bada bang bada boom. :cool:

No need to sign up for a third party site. Hit "Go Advanced" next to "Post Reply" and you will have options to upload files to the forum. You can then click "post inline" to have them appear in the post you are composing.

So here are a few quick pics. I will get it cleaned up this weekend and get some better ones. It is currently cold and just finished two days of raining here so what better to do than build an exhaust.... And before anyone asks, the black section of the midpipe is because it is a section of non polished stainless pipe. It was the only piece of pipe that I had the proper size. It also covers the weld since I have no access to a tig welder at this time :(20130404_204220.jpg20130404_204229.jpg20130404_204322.jpg

Back