• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Modification to lock on Storage Compartment needed

dlee6413

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my NC700X.....but does anyone else have an issue with having the turn the bike off in order to use the key for the storage compartment? Yeah I know I could use my spare key, but wouldn't it be nice if it used a push-lock, push-open system similar to this one? Southco 93 10 307 10 Boat Push Lock w Keys | eBay If I'm at a stop-light, toll-booth, drive-thru....whatever, I'd like the ability to get into my storage compartment without having to use the key. Am I way off-base here? Does anyone have any recommendations or has someone perhaps already made some sort of improvement? Thanks in advance.

I love my NC700X.....but does anyone else have an issue with having the turn the bike off in order to use the key for the storage compartment? Yeah I know I could use my spare key, but wouldn't it be nice if it used a push-lock, push-open system similar to this one? Southco 93 10 307 10 Boat Push Lock w Keys | eBay If I'm at a stop-light, toll-booth, drive-thru....whatever, I'd like the ability to get into my storage compartment without having to use the key. Am I way off-base here? Does anyone have any recommendations or has someone perhaps already made some sort of improvement? Thanks in advance.

That push-lock seems like a great idea. Anyone on here know how difficult that would be to switch out for this lock? I've seen several references to a "Dave" on this forum who seems to be quite proficient at modifications and making add-ons that, from what others have said, are quite good. Maybe if Dave sees this he could weigh in :)

I need to correct my earlier post... I think his name is Dale, not Dave and his username is HONDABIKEPRO. Just ran across another thread where he posted some great tid bits of wisdom. Sorry Dale for getting your name wrong.

I always take my spare key with me any time I ride. As a result, the issue of the OP's isn't a problem for me. I agree that it would be nice to have something that doesn't always require the key, but I always have the extra with me just in case Murphy shows up. Plus, anything that I might think I'll need access to quickly (while I'm still on the bike) is put in my pockets for easy access.

I'm not sure how durable the NC700 keys are, but I'd suggest going to a locksmith to get a spare key made to use on the bike. Keep at least one original factory key at home so that you have a pristine key to make future copies from. Some bike keys seem to be made of silly putty and bend just by looking at them crooked. :mad:

I carry a spare key on my other bike along with the mailbox key so that I can stop at the mailbox, get my mail and put it in my locking saddlebag without having to shut the bike off. For travel on the NC700, I like the idea of a key glued into a knob as long as you can remember to pull it out when parking so no one can steal the bike (although that key might not be long enough to insert into the ignition slot - gotta check that out).

I need to correct my earlier post... I think his name is Dale, not Dave and his username is HONDABIKEPRO. Just ran across another thread where he posted some great tid bits of wisdom. Sorry Dale for getting your name wrong.

There are a number of Grandmaster farklers on the forum - HONDABIKEPRO, Dale, owns a couple of dealerships, is an avid rider and master tech - Beemerphile, Lee, is an avid hobbyist, ddeulin, Dave, not sure of his pedigree but remains a font of useful information - Northwestrider is full of tricks and insights - Old Can Ride is a lifelong biker and mechanic with decades of experience and stories - johnakay, builds and sells some awesome accessories - StratTuner is an experimenter extraordinaire that has achieved some remarkable successes with ordinary materials - ToobleKain, just joined the forum with girfriend CandyStripes327 - has already demonstrated an impressive acumen of mechanical know how - and the list goes on and I've left someone off and offended them but I assure you not on purpose.

We have a really good group here.

I've also seen a mod somewhere on here, where you can hook up a solenoid to the frunk release cable and a button to switched on power. That way while the bike is on all you have to do is push a button to pop open the storage area while the key is in they ignition.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll use the "Knob fastened to spare key" idea and just leave it in while riding.

Back