• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Mirror wideners?

Just a general question. When a state doesn’t allow filtering does that mean people actually don’t filter? Do the police enforce the ban? In congested UK and Ireland not filtering would remove one of the big advantages of riding.
From my limited experience (Midwest USA) a bike filtering is seen as rude, and technically in many states filtering is a grey area. It’s not defined and not explicitly banned but the police would likely write you up for something related. However for the most part many bikes here are too wide (Harley Road Glide) and the riders too inexperienced (1000 miles a year) to filter anyway. Where I live near Appalachia many of the roads are narrower and trucks wider and so not conducive to filtering. It’s damn inconvenient but we make do.

Just a general question. When a state doesn’t allow filtering does that mean people actually don’t filter? Do the police enforce the ban? In congested UK and Ireland not filtering would remove one of the big advantages of riding.
I’m in the midwestern USA and filtering is not legal in my state, nor do any riders locally attempt to do it. It would be considered rude and drivers might enact road rage upon you. (Police? Ha! People commit traffic offenses every minute of every day and there are rarely any police around to care). I wouldn’t filter if it was legal; I‘d just chose a different route or place to ride. The fact is, I chose not to ride in any area or situation where there is anything to filter in or even any reason to filter. My goal in riding is strictly pleasure, and I try to get as far away from traffic congestion as I can.

OK. That's very different to here. In the UK and Ireland the motorways can be extremely busy and the vast majority of riders filter. It's accepted practice and most (not all) car drivers are considerate and will open the gap. There may be some car self preservation at work here too, as everyone who filters a lot will hit a mirror from time to time. It can be a bit nerve wracking when you start out, but you do develop a sixth sense for drivers changing lanes without indicating. The time you save can be enormous, especially when there's an accident and the traffic has stopped. Many a time I have filtered to the front to discover loads of bikes at the head of the traffic jam. I remember one case when the motorway had been closed for hours and there were loads and loads of bike chomping at the bit. The copper actually said to us "have fun" when they eventually let us go. :)

I can confirm this is the case in most if not all European countries. It's the reason why many commute and do delivery work on 2 wheels, I can't imagine what it would be like without filtering. And yes most cars are aware and will give you some space. And if you think about it theoretically you are creating more space by filtering and thus lessening the traffic jam. In most European countries it seems to be legal or a grey area, they tried to make it illegal in France a while ago, but it reverted quickly after protests.

I like that the NC has warning lights, I always turn them on when filtering.

if it is accepted in Europe, why were there protests in France? apparently there is some animosity from car drivers there too

Filtering to the front at traffic lights or lane splitting between moving cars is illegal in my home state of Florida and I've very rarely seen it done. I have split lanes when in California where lane splitting is legal and did not experience anxiety doing so. Automobile drivers seem to expect it.

Is the difference in width noticeable during filtering?

I ride a lot in busy traffic and always need to go through tight spots between cars.
While riding in Mexico, the only place I've filtered, I did tap my mirror against a truck mirror once. I'd say they're slightly less capable of filtering with mirror wideners but are mostly perfectly fine. Just don't filter without assessing the space first

Back