• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Metzeler Z8 tire life front vs rear

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anybody comment from experience how much longer the front Metzeler Z8 lasted than the rear? My rear tire's cord showed today at 8650 miles. The front has a bit more left, but with a 2000 mile trip coming in May, should I risk it? I've seen some fronts outlast rears by 50%, while others wear out at the same time.

Hoped to get more out of the rear, but the oil and chip roads are rough.

Last edited:
I replaced the rear Z8 at 8,000 miles then both front and rear at 14,000 miles. The second rear would have gone to 8000 again but I was leaving on a 3500 mile trip. I'd say two rears to one in my style of riding on the roads I travel.

I didn't run my front quite out. Depth-wise, it was pointed at ~25 - 30% longer life than the rear, but wear was very uneven. I replaced the rear at the point I could see the cord/belt beneath the thin rubber layer in the center of the tire, but before that thin rubber actually wore through. :)

All great info. Thanks! I think the front Z8 will make it to Fontana Dam and back, then I may change it before a trip 'round Lake Superior (unless I switch to the GL1800)

Pulled the rear wheel and broke the old bead tonight. Tomorrow I'll try out the HF/mojo changer setup for the first time!

Keep the feedback coming. Much appreciated.

Let us know how that HF tire changer works for you.

Changed the rear tire today. Goodbye kneeling on the floor, using tire levers! The HF tire changer with Mojoblocks and Mojobar worked well. I read the instructions (not much of a video person) and all went according to plan. A little sweat, but no blood or tears! The tools do the job well. but much depends on technique, which I will improve on with time. Not one single scratch or scuff on the rim, and no damage to the tire

I bolted the HF changer to a pallet, which some have done. But the thing was just too high for me, working almost near shoulder height. I guess I will bolt it to the shop floor once I finalize a location.

Two things to never forget: be sure the opposite side of the tire is pushed down into the rim "center well", and lubricate EVERYTHING, the rim, the bead, and the tool. I use professional tire lube from AdvanceAuto, rather than soapy water. I did a static balance on a balance stand, then added Ride-On.

Going for the test ride now! :D

Last edited:
Yes. I put a PR3 on the rear with the stock Z8 up front. Mixing brands isn't an issue. Mixing Bias ply and radial can be a problem.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.

btw - I got 9300 miles out of the OEM z8 rear. Front is in great shape. Levered a new z8 on the back.

Please report back with the mileage when you change the front.

Please report back with the mileage when you change the front.

Will do - When the time comes, I have been thinking of the new Shinko Verge dual compound tires I have seen advertised recently in the big Motorcycle Magazines. The Verge is a dual compound tire -hard in the center for mileage, , soft on the edges for grip.

$104 for a rear which is very inexpensive:

Shinko 011 Verge Radial Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

And getting rave reviews and reports of up to 14,000 miles:

Shinko 011 Verge Radial Rear Tire Product Reviews - Motorcycle Superstore

Answering my own question here, I just pulled the front Metzeler at 9000 miles. By my estimate, the front had a thousand miles left in it, but next week I head out on a 2000 mile ride. I'd hoped to do better than 9 or 10k on the front, but I think the local oil and chip roads with loose gravel tossed on top takes a toll on the tires.

Changing the front tire is a bit more struggle than the rear. The ContiMotion I installed has pretty stiff side walls. I'm wondering how the Conti tire life will be. It's an inexpensive tire, but if the life is short then it's a poor value. We shall see.

Will do - When the time comes, I have been thinking of the new Shinko Verge dual compound tires I have seen advertised recently in the big Motorcycle Magazines. The Verge is a dual compound tire -hard in the center for mileage, , soft on the edges for grip.

$104 for a rear which is very inexpensive:

Shinko 011 Verge Radial Rear Tire - Motorcycle Superstore

And getting rave reviews and reports of up to 14,000 miles:

Shinko 011 Verge Radial Rear Tire Product Reviews - Motorcycle Superstore

What riding do you do ? 90/10 Road/off-road ... Looking for good 85/15 but mostly I need to ride to locations I want to go off-road ... mainly forest dirt roads maybe some gravel but no roads like the dduelin and the other 60/40 riders do everyday. I'm leaving 7/8 to run to the HU rally in grant CO where I may get some off-road experience but want something that will allow mileage and handle some soft stuff. Since it rained there all three days during last years rally I may want something beyond the verge. Open for suggestions.

I had 8,600 on my original rear and got a nail in the side. It had maybe another 1,000 miles on it. I replaced it with a Perelli Diablo just because I got a deal on Ebay.
The front will be around for a couple more thousand miles, I'm sure.

BTW- I like how the Perelli rides and corners.

At just under 7,300 miles my rear Z8 had cord showing through, was really surprised, it didn't seem to have that wide of a flat spot. The front still looks OK, but I'll keep a good eye on it. I replaced the rear with a Shinko Verge.

I got 11400 from my rear(but it was totally shot,,dead,,not another revolution left in the poor thing)the front has a couple of thou left in it...Reason for such a long life ,I guess its all the motorway miles I do,,though I,m no slow coach..

How is everyone getting so many miles out of their rear tires? Mine was corded at just over 5,200 miles. And not just a little. I was threads all the way around. I can only assume it was due to my excessive highway miles (I just got done with a 4,500 mile trip). I've put on another 1,000 or so on the front since replacing the rear and it looks like I'll probably get another 1,500 to 2,000 on it before I need to replace it.

Back