• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mesh Gear

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually wear my one piece Aerostich but with temps in the high eighties I tried wearing my Joe Rocket mesh jacket and pants today instead. I left my job at 1500 and headed out to Ricker Pond State Park to grab a photo tag for the Vermont Tag-O-Rama on ADVRider. Ricker Pond is about 25 miles away from my job. When I stopped at the park to take the photo my hands were shaking so bad I could barely hold onto my phone. I took the shot and left for home thinking about what had just happened. I had been drinking water all day so I knew I was hydrated. When I got close to home and stopped to take a photo for the new tag I noticed I was very warm but not sweating, my hands not shaking as bad. After taking the shot I sat on the bike for a few minutes in the hot sun and started to sweat. I started the bike and headed home and felt much better, cooler since I left work. I'm thinking I was almost overheated riding the bike and not sweating because of the air flow.

love mesh gear! On days when I had to go through the NV desert in 110F weather, I'd stop at a rest stop, soak a tee shirt with water, put it on, then put the mesh coat over it and ride!

The evaporating water cools you down like nothing else could!

So having your sweat evaporate makes you shake???

I rode last week with my brother W of Atlanta for a couple of hours. Regular tactical pants and mesh jacket. I sweated plenty and stayed sorta dry till we stopped. Then it's wet time. Every stop light was wet time. Too dang hot to really enjoy the whole outing.

Mid to high 80s is not hot on a moving MC and would be sweating little with the body staying cool enough without sweat. Air temperature less than body temp in the wind does not need sweat evaporation to maintain body temp. Stop in the sun in upper 80s and it can get warm. The shaking indicates a problem you may want to look into.

To be fair, he's from BRRRRRmont, not used to the heat like us that are chiming in. That's really all it is. I would love a summer house up there and a winter house right where i am!

Which mesh gear do you guys recommend. I actually only was able to find joe rocket mesh phoenix ion pants and jacket (4xl & 5xl). Are there any alternatives for short and fat for very high temperatures?

Which mesh gear do you guys recommend. I actually only was able to find joe rocket mesh phoenix ion pants and jacket (4xl & 5xl). Are there any alternatives for short and fat for very high temperatures?

Phoenix gives good airflow and protection. A friend went down at 40 mph wearing Phoenix gear and received no road rash or other significant injury. Back protector in jacket is just a piece of foam so may want to upgrade that piece

evaporation of sweat is what you want in high heat, without it your body won't cool down properly. It sounds to me like you may have been dehydrated but I'm not a doctor. I also use a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and really like it. I live in Austin where it gets pretty toasty in the summer and I wear my phoenix all the time without much of an issue with heat. Luckily I haven't yet had the opportunity to test it's protection abilities...

My Madstad windshield is very effective at blocking the wind from just below my nose downwards. My shoulders and arms are in the wind but not my torso. I think I might move the shield down a bit to see if that helps.

I have an Alpinestars Capetown jacket, it is a mesh touring style jacket with two different liners. I like it a lot and it hasn't let me down even on 90+ degree days.

It is possible for mesh jackets to be too good, you don't want too much air flow, you want your sweet to evaporate at a steady rate, if it evaporates too fast then you will over heat.

In Florida with high humidity I don't think any mesh could be too "open". Back when I was riding for transportation every day there was no jacket. It was a Tee-shirt. Even that was hot. Now with a mesh jacket it is terrible. My next ride I am going to take a pump bottle of water with me. It is just too fu**ing hot!!cuss.gif

I had been drinking water all day so I knew I was hydrated.
I'm not sure what caused your particular episode but even though you may think you were hydrated, you may not have been. When your perspiration is drying immediately you can easily lose track of how much water you are actually losing. I find that most people whom I see who suffer from a heat related issue do so because they are so involved in their activity that they lose track of their water intake. You need to force yourself to pull over and have some water before you start to feel you need it. Plan your water stops in advance and keep the water in the frunk so you don't have to dismount to use it. Also make sure you are wearing clothing that wicks away water so that it does dot remain next to your skin. That can give you a chill.

I have an Olympia Switchback mesh jacket. It has a liner which can be put in if the weather changes during the day. The liner folds up to about the size of 2 cans of soda. Their sizes are "American cut" so they tend to be more generous than the European style brands. If you e-mail them with your height, weight and waist they can help you get the best size for you.

[I'm not sure what caused your particular episode but even though you may think you were hydrated, you may not have been.]

I agree. Having a glass of water then riding for 1-2 hours is not being adequately hydrated; especially in hot weather. Also, drinking coffee or carbonated soft drinks is not the same as water since they make water in your system go OUT faster.

Back