• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Making Your NC700 More Visual & Safe - Mike Mas

IdleUp

Reaction score
Visit site
Making Your NC700 More Visual & Safe - Mike Mas

Being Visual - to others is possibly one of the most important features we can have with our bikes. As we approach an intersection at night, our single “yellow” headlight could easily be mistaken for just a porch light on someones home!

l1.jpg

While The Lights - On our NC700's are minimally adequate for driving, we lack good visibility to others. With this in mind, I decided to go on a LED project to help other drivers see me better by installing some additional lighting on my machine. Hopefully the forum Moderators will leave this in the discussion category so we can all contribute different ways to become more visual to others.

I’ll put up two projects; this one for the “Front” of our NC’s and a following article for rear lighting. As we all know, with the one small bulb in the rear, our NC’s is near impossible to see to approaching cars.

After Spending Hours
- on Ebay looking at different lights at prices up to $500 and brackets with questions if they would fit. I visited my local Advance Auto parts store in town and spent 30 minutes looking over the different LED light sets and found what I thought would be a good choice.

l2.jpg

l9.jpg

I wanted a set of lights that gave me the opportunity to flash the lights in a sequence, to be more noticeable to other drivers, so I bought a set of LED’s called the “Twin Strobz” which comes with a “Led Stack” light with a truck load of Led’s, and a controller. This set is super bright and would make a good set of lights if you choose to use them. The set comes with two lights sets and a each light had around 6 feet of cord plus a connector. The lights plug into a small digital controller which allows the operator to select from a variety of different flash sequences that range from being on all the time - fast flashing - slow flashing and alternating flash from light to light.

l3.jpg

Next, I went down to my local China-Mart and bought a set of 2.75” LED running lights ($24.95) I re-wired them to the Twin Strobe controller and presto I had a set of good looking running / Fog lights that looks really good on my NC and I could sequence them in any manner I choose.

l4.jpg

Installation - Here where I ran into some difficulty, as we all know, our NC is a pretty slick designed bike which means there is really is no part on the bike that is really 90 degrees the road except by the engine which is not were I wanted them to be mounted. I also wanted them as high as possible so the LED’s are facing forward to focus their light on other drivers. I also wanted them to be spread apart as far as possible so they don’t blend in with the headlight.

Lucky For Me -I just installed my Madstad windshield, which included two side wings and mounts, that provided a perfect place to mount my lights. After a little wire routing planning, I ran the wires back in the steering opening and into an interior air channel on the left side which enters the battery compartment so there was no drilling. Next, I cut some 3M double stick tape to hold the bracket in place and used just one screw with large plastic washers to hold the bracket in place.

l6.jpg

Wiring - Wiring the lights was straight forward thanks to the easy access to the battery compartment and fuse panel. One of my own requirements was I would be able to turn the lights on with the motor off, this way if I wanted to park the bike close to a road or parking lot at night she would remain visual, somewhat like parking lights on a car. In order to get full time power, I wired it on the fused side (7.5 amp) of lighter fuse that provides power to an the optional 12 volt receptacle. For those of you who would prefer to have them on with the lights, there is plenty of fuse opportunities in the fuse panel.

Since I was already there at the battery panel, I figured this would be a good opportunity to install my 12 volt lighter receptacle. I did not want it exposed or on the bars so I drilled my battery cover and installed it on the right side where there is a void behind to accommodate the depth and wiring. I found the mating connector and wired the lighter plug.

l8.jpg

Light Controller - I mounted my controller right close to the forward top portion of the trunk where I would have easy access. The control module has two lighted buttons; (red & blue) one for power, and the other for the light sequence. As the lights flash - it matches the flash sequence on the lighted buttons, so you don't have to get off the bike to see which sequence is active. The system also has an eprom memory since it remembers your last sequence setting, even when powered off.

l7.jpg

In Conclusion
- the “Twin Strobz” controller LED light set which was $36.99 and the two LED running light set for $24.98 gives me everything I wanted which is a small price to pay considering some fog lamp sets run up to $500. Most important, they provide additional safety making us more visual to other drivers. I’ll be installing the two unused LEDs that came with the Twin Strobe on my pickup.

While there is state regulations on lights - I really doubt any officer would pull you over if you choose the slow flash of the running lights, even though its supposed to be flashing from low to high beam. I’ve seen a number of bike flashing the fogs, so I don’t think it will be an issue. I mean it’s for safety reasons right?.

I included a Youtube video (below) showing just a few of the strobe sequences available with the Twin Strobz light set. Certainly if you broke down on the highway some of these quick flashing light sequences would be very valuable.

YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/Z8VqNAIkYo8

Enjoy - Mike Mas

Regarding the legality of using the lights, The state requirements are:

25251.2. Any motorcycle may be equipped with a means of modulating
the upper beam of the headlamp between a high and a lower brightness
at a rate of 200 to 280 flashes per minute. Such headlamps shall not
be so modulated during darkness.

l10.jpg

Good deal. I want to light up the front and rear so am looking at a local company in my area that does a lot of LED work. Have used them in the past. You did a good job on the front, now you need to do something to the rear of the bike.

There is a federal regulation that overrides such state laws.

Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - webBikeWorld

I will say, do NOT call it flashing. Just calling it that, especially to an officer, will attract their interest.

Flashing lights are illegal and police officers will pull you over for it. Dimming and then returning to full is ok, but be sure to meet the federal regulation.

And carry both the regulation and the matching law that says states cannot ban systems that meet the rule. In other words, the law itself (passed by Congress) says states must allow systems that meet the regulation. The regulation sets out the specs. Congress is too lazy to actually set out the specs. Not all officers know about this rule.

Last edited:
There is a federal regulation that overrides such state laws.

Motorcycle Headlight Modulator Regulations - webBikeWorld

I will say, do NOT call it flashing. Just calling it that, especially to an officer, will attract their interest.

Flashing lights are illegal and police officers will pull you over for it. Dimming and then returning to full is ok, but be sure to meet the federal regulation.

And carry both the regulation and the matching law that says states cannot ban systems that meet the rule. In other words, the law itself (passed by Congress) says states must allow systems that meet the regulation. The regulation sets out the specs. Congress is too lazy to actually set out the specs. Not all officers know about this rule.

Thanks for the link on the flashing or should I say dimming!

I might add we had thousands of bikes roll through Blairville where I live on the 11th and since I planned this job I looked at everyone that was flashing and I seen maybe 30 of them doing every sort of flashing and strobing you could imagine, fog lights, bar lights, headlights, you name it. I really think if your driving correctly and your lights are flashing on and off, no decent cop is going to pull you over for trying to be safer than you are. But i could be wrong too!

Regards

Motorcycle headlight modulators should conform strictly to the federal law. The modulation is not on and off, but rather full bright to a dimmer percentage (no less than 17% of maximum) at an allowed frequency. I saw a Harley on the Cherohala Skyway that was using a modulator, but using it on LED lights, whereas it was probably designed for incandescent lamps. This resulted in the lights going from full on to full off, so they were indeed flashing, not modulating. I would consider what I saw to be not conforming to the law.

Proper headlight modulators also must have an ambient light sensor that disables the modulating function at night.

As Hank said, the federal law supersedes all state laws. State law cannot make proper modulators illegal.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999
Revised as of October 1, 2000
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]
TITLE 49 TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER V NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
PART 571 FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS

Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

Last edited:
I really think if your driving correctly and your lights are flashing on and off, no decent cop is going to pull you over for trying to be safer than you are. But i could be wrong too!

Regards

LEOs have been known to write tickets to motorcyclists even when they have legal headlight modulators. I carry a copy of the federal law with me. That still may not stop the LEO from issuing the ticket, but it's worth a try to keep from having to go to court to settle it.

I have in fact read accounts of people ticketed for this. Some were in compliance with the federal law and still got tickets, and had to go to court to get the tickets dismissed.

Motorcycles are targets for police officers, mainly because so many riders do not have insurance or the proper endorsement. They are looking for reasons to pull you over. This is not paranoia. I live in a rural area and know most of the officers. They are open about it.

Last edited:
I use a pair of Mondomoto MM10 2" LED spot lights for safety lighting on my street bikes. They are wired through a relay and switched so they can be cut off but I normally leave them on all the time. On the NC I use the Hepco Becker protection bars to mount them below and to either side of the headlight. I didn't want them close to the turn signals as they are bright enough to overpower and wash them out to oncoming motorists.

MondoMotos MM10 Bullet LED Auxiliary Light Kit (V3) | MondoMotos Motorcycle Lighting, LED Lighting and Accessories

As dduelin pointed out, I also prefer keeping the auxilliary lights away from the turn signals so the signals are not drowned out by the white lights. Even on my work van with daytime running lights, the factory DRL is switched off automatically on the appropriate side while the turn signal flashes, so as to keep the signal visible.

I also mount my aux lights down low and wide, so as to increase the size of the lighting triangle, hence making the lighted bike appear larger when seen from the front.

I am about to install a system on my Goldwing where the turn signals will be steady white LED running lights but when the turn signal is active the same light fixture will switch off the white and go to flashing yellow. In addition to that there are white running lights down in front of the cylinder heads, so as to make the bike look as large as possible (not that a Goldwing really needs help looking large). With a clear signal lens, an LED compatible flasher, and a two color LED, such a system would possibly work on the NC as well.

Last edited:
I have Givi Trekkar spot lights mounted to my Givi engine guards. All claps and other parts were made to fit perfect together. Also, can purchase halogen light bulbs at any Wal-Mart while on the road. By keeping all simple when on the road, keeps all working when on the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's!

Of course my intended use is to just leave them on all the time to be more visual - If I get in an area where I feel they are needed, they are going on regardless.

Our police force these days have a lot more to worry about than if a light is dimming or flashing when a bike owner is trying to be more safe during daylight hours - I think a lot of guys are reading too much in the legality's.

Regards

^^^^^^^^^^*^^^^

+10 on NOT "drowning" out existing lights..........more is NOT always better !!!! Example..Trains have huge lights ( that rotate and oscillate ) and people miss them all the time.

Good time to mention ( again) connections directly to the battery is asking for future troubles ( like unexplained dead battery and fire) :

Key and relay controlled accessories is the best design. The Honda accessory harness, fuse and relay is a good solution or start point.
All connections should be fused, multiple connections can benifit from an auxiliary fuse box that is ignition switch controlled by a relay.
Proper wiring, connections and routing is critical.

Last edited:
The US spec NC700x stock front turn signal bulbs are dual filament. In stock configuration, the running light switches off on the side of the activated turn signal. If one was to wire these driving lights to the running light wire on each side, or trigger off that wire via a relay, then the white running light would shut off on the side of the flashing turn signal, thus improving the visibility of the yellow turn signal.

Last edited:
Let's face facts - during the day, the turn signals on the front and back of the NC700 are barely viable to other drivers. I question why Honda did not light the turn signals on the rear as they did on the front.

Regarding the signals being lost - I don't feel the LED's distract from the signals - there is plenty of separation.

Here's a few light shots of my Spyder F3 and my Slingshot - as you can see there is a good light signature on the forward trikes.

l1.jpg

l20.jpg

l22.jpg

Mondo Lights

I use a pair of Mondomoto MM10 2" LED spot lights for safety lighting on my street bikes. They are wired through a relay and switched so they can be cut off but I normally leave them on all the time. On the NC I use the Hepco Becker protection bars to mount them below and to either side of the headlight. I didn't want them close to the turn signals as they are bright enough to overpower and wash them out to oncoming motorists.

MondoMotos MM10 Bullet LED Auxiliary Light Kit (V3) | MondoMotos Motorcycle Lighting, LED Lighting and Accessories

Hey Dduelin, thanks for the recommendations on those lights. I am going to order them. I don't have any crash bars and really don't want to spend the money for them at this time. Maybe in a few months. In the meantime it looks like I can mount them of the front fender from what the picture on their website shows.

In response to the person who started this thread. You got some intense responses. There are people here that are just passionate about rules and laws. Nothing wrong with that. As long as you don't use the modulation or the blue/red lights, I like where you mounted the lights. Turn signals on the front of a motorcycle are next to worthless. I don't think it would help stop a car from pulling out in front of you if they wanted to do so in a hurry. However, those high mounted lights look fine and I think they will catch more attention than our yellow turn signal lights flashing or not. I'm always a little concerned that cheap lights may not do so well when it gets wet. So, that's the reason I am going to go with the Mondo Moto MM10 Bullet LED Auxillary lights.

How about replacement lights? Anybody upgrade their stock lights? If so what with?

How about replacement lights? Anybody upgrade their stock lights? If so what with?
I replaced the headlight with the Cyclop Led Headlight : 3800 Lumen H4 LED Headlight bulb
Now riding at night is as clear as riding at daylight !... On the highway, cars in front are changing lane long before you're on their back...

Back