• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Maintaining speed....

pprior

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm a new rider after a long (25 year) hiatus. Bought my NC700X DCT a few weeks ago and have only a couple quick trips on it due to weather and (mostly) work.

However I've found it VERY difficult to maintain a constant speed on the highway. that is to say a non-straight highway with any ups or downs in elevation.

With my helmet on I can't really hear the engine at all, so I can't judge from sound/tone the speed, and so I find myself varying to -5/+5 around my intended speed - as a new/returning rider I'm trying very hard not to push any limits so on curvy highways around my home I don't want cars pushing my back fender because I've dropped to 52mph ....

Is this just something I need practice on (learn when to give more throttle anticipating the need rather than reacting) or are there other tips?

After being a "cager" for so long with cruise control I guess I've just gotten spoiled.

I use my Crampbuster on the highway a lot. It really helps with maintaining speed. I've also heard great things about Go-cruise. I'm probably going to get one to try.

Without trying to affend anyone I'll say this. You might as well get used to it. Winds, hills, and passing semi is going to slow you down. Even with a crampbuster the bike will not maintain speed. It is something you'll get used to and you'll eventually know when to compensate for it. When you see yourself approaching a hill you'll learn to give her more throttle. Really no different than a car going up a hill when not using cruise control. You have to mash the pedal a little more.

I use my Crampbuster on the highway a lot. It really helps with maintaining speed. I've also heard great things about Go-cruise. I'm probably going to get one to try.

I have the Go Cruise. Great item. Takes a little getting used to, but nice when you want to give your hand or shoulders a rest.

+1 on Sergeant Chuck.

Pretty much everything you describe is a function of practice on the machine. You'll find that the more you ride, the less you become aware of some of the smaller mechanics involved in your riding style. While you never want to get completely relaxed on a bike...... a lot of the motions and movements become a function of muscle memory and you'll worry less about them.

So I'm a new rider after a long (25 year) hiatus. Bought my NC700X DCT a few weeks ago and have only a couple quick trips on it due to weather and (mostly) work.

However I've found it VERY difficult to maintain a constant speed on the highway. that is to say a non-straight highway with any ups or downs in elevation.

With my helmet on I can't really hear the engine at all, so I can't judge from sound/tone the speed, and so I find myself varying to -5/+5 around my intended speed - as a new/returning rider I'm trying very hard not to push any limits so on curvy highways around my home I don't want cars pushing my back fender because I've dropped to 52mph ....

Is this just something I need practice on (learn when to give more throttle anticipating the need rather than reacting) or are there other tips?

After being a "cager" for so long with cruise control I guess I've just gotten spoiled.

Let me first say "Welcome Back" after a long time away.

Since you have a DCT, like I do. I suggest that ride the bike around in "S-Mode" to get the feel on how the bike will respond to your throttle input. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) will want to "Rev" the motor at little higher and keep the trans in a lower gear than in "D-Mode". This will improve your throttle responses, thus it may help you with maintaining your speed a little bit better.

Regarding which “Drive Mode” to select, please see my notes below.

1. "D-Mode" is more intended for use on freeways, highways, and other conditions where you will not be stopping often.
  2. "S-Mode" is "BEST" for all around town, canyon/twisties, and neighorhood riding.
  3. "MT-Mode" is more for low speed maneuvering or where speed control is essential such as in being in slow speed traffic or lane splitting.

I would also recommend that you get yourself a Throttle Rocker II. I have these on my daily drivers (ST1300 & NC700XD) and I Love them. It will help greatly with helping you maintaining throttle positioning and you can rest your palm on it to relax your fingers for awhile.

I hope that you find my tips to be helpful to you. Always ride within your capabilities and never feel pressured to ride outside of your "Comfort Zone". Also be sure to check your rearview mirror quite often for both unruly cage drivers and Sport-Bike riders. You will do just fine.

Ride, and ride often and this will melt away. Quite a bit of your higher brain activity at this time is occupied with stuff that is new again. With practice the thinking that requires conscious effort moves down into the subconscious. It doesn't mean your brain isn't handling these tasks only that you are no longer aware of it. I remember exactly what you describe.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the return to motorcycling.

Another vote for ride within your comfort zone. If 62 is all that feels comfortable going around a turn marked at 65, go 62. The NC is a long bike and on the sweepers will instill confidence relatively quickly, on the tighter turns you have to work at it a bit more. Just ride it, then ride it some more, also find a couple of riding buddies. Sometimes being towed or being sandwiched between a couple of confident experienced riders will steepen up the learning curve.

Back