• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Windshield

The thing is so adjustable that I'm not sure that inseam and height matter to others anymore except at the extremes. You have two OEM positions, and then another almost 4 inches of height adjustment, and then if that isn't enough, Madstad will swap the standard 20" screen for a 22", or even cut another size from scratch. You can also drill new holes on the mounting bracket for even more adjustment. This is really one size fits all, unlike any other brand on the market. Even though it is expensive, I thought it was an even bigger gamble that another brand, or two, or three would end up being perfect for me - and three would end up costing more.

The other cool thing is that it is not just height that is adjustable, but also angle. I think it is likely that I will be able to get a steeper slope with this screen than any other one, potentially giving up less mpg, and possibly even gaining.

I agree, I'm thinking height and inseam are not really issues with this system, but for the record I'm 6' even with a 32" inseam. I currently have it at it's lowest setting and about 30 degrees from vertical. To lower it any more I would need to slope it further toward the back and I have plenty of room for that if necessary. I'm still with it's default setting right now and it's great. Noticed a little more turbulence today due to crosswinds, but it is still so much better than before. I keep finding myself going faster than I thought because it's so calm in the cockpit. Got up to 72 in a 60 this morning before I noticed and shut it down.

I'd be willing to let a couple of local guys take it for a quick spin to get some more experienced rider's opinions. Just PM me and we can probably work something out. Maybe a good chance for a local NC700X owner to check out the DCT and ABS. Just a thought....

Also agree with you regarding the cost. It was $288.02 with shipping included and a full money back guarantee. I kept seeing where people had tried screen after screen without finding what they wanted. I really didn't want to play that game. Anyway, I have a long ride scheduled for Saturday so I'll report back after that.

Last edited:
"Sport SD" Style

Hey Cagedodger ...

I agree - the "Sport SD" Style best fits the NC -- and I also think a light tint would add to the looks as well.

Like you I have had the "RoboBrackets" - but also and the "Quick-Adjust" on other motorcycles-- which work great to give a quick 10-second adjust time to fine tune for the riding conditions.

Any of his windsreen shapes would work - just depends on what the rider likes. It would be best to give Mark at MadStad a call to talk thru the options.

Pictures of the "Sport SD" style below - on other motorcycles (not the NC)

sport-sd1.jpgsport-sd2.jpg

= = = = =
link to his Windscreen page

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.888/.f

I wish I had known that the Madstad came with the quick adjust brackets. I had his Robobrackets on another bike and while it worked well, adjusting them was not the best. There was almost *too much* adjustability. You'd end up with a really good position, but the fact that you could tweak it "just a little more" could drive you mad, lol.

I think my biggest issue with his version for the NC700X is that the windshield shape just seems wrong. I think his "Sport SD" Style would fit the NC a hundred times better.

As to the well nuts, I've used them for years on tall windshields (Madstad, actually, heh). They work well as long as they aren't cracked or damaged. My theory on them failing on the NC700X is that the metal mount is very thick in relation to the well nuts. Honda uses a short well nut with a ridge near the threaded nut part of it. When I noticed this, I played around with it a little bit and what I found was that if you don't get the extra ridge on the OEM well nut past the mounting bracket, then the well nut could pull free after tightening, with not too much force. Obviously we can only speculate here, but it strikes me as a very obvious possibility that the well nuts weren't seated fully and that is what caused the failures.

That being said, Dale's nut plates would be a fool-proof solution. There's no way those are pulling through.

Last edited:
Rode up to the San Jacinto National Forest and back today; about 140 miles total. The windshield just seems to work. What's odd is that I really couldn't tell any difference in the minor adjustments I made. Raised it an inch, tilted it back a little, etc... I suspect its because the system is very forgiving within a certain range. Had a 5-10 mph wind out of the south so it was a tail wind up and then a head wind back down to Houston. I had done the trip twice before with the OEM windshield (once each in the high and low position) and the buffeting was really awful. Felt like somebody was constantly kicking me in the chest while trying to rip my helmet off. Actually, that's pretty much the way it felt anytime a got up above 55 mph.

When I first hit the freeway this morning there was some helmet buffeting before I realized the face shield was all the way up. I often raise it at lights if my breath starts to fog it up. The wind would always remind me to lower it back down. With the Madstad I keep forgetting it's up.

Anyway, today I took it up to 85 a couple of times and it was no big deal. Significantly less noise too. On neighbor streets there is no wind behind the screen period -- kinda like being in a car with the windows down.

I got mine yesterday, and noticed the same thing about small adjustments. I have my height all the way down and it just works with or without a helmet. I think it could go down another couple of inches and still work. I'll be having a chat with Madstad on Monday about that. I get occasional puffs against my cheeks but it is difficult to figure out where they are coming from. I've tried to trace the wind pattern at speed with a bare hand but it is difficult. I can feel a horizontal layer of wind above my helmet with my hand, but when I rise up, I don't feel it with my head. Weird.

Significantly more comfortable with the Madstad.

Hey Cagedodger ...

I agree - the "Sport SD" Style best fits the NC -- and I also think a light tint would add to the looks as well.

I also think that is the best shape for the NC. They sent me the wrong one and to my eye, it looks just as bad in person as it does online on their pix of the NC.

I also think that is the best shape for the NC. They sent me the wrong one and to my eye, it looks just as bad in person as it does online on their pix of the NC.

I'm ok with the funky shaped one, but no one has ever accused me of having any taste when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I received the Sport SD screen for the Madstad today and it is a much better fit for the NC esthetically. Not that this is the best looking windshield on the market, but every bit helps! It does really work well, and that is the main thing. The stock Madstad adaptor plate is basically an exact replacement for the stock screen in aluminum. I was concerned about how much view it blocked of the road so Madstad removed some material from the top of it. I think there is a slight benefit to it so I'm happy. I probably would happy with the stock. I believe Madstad will make a poly adaptor for anyone who really wants a full view.

For weight weenies, the system adds about 1720g (3.66 pounds) over the stock system.

Madstad adventure.jpg

Adventure screen

Madstad Sport SD.jpg

Sport SD screen (the one I like better)

Stock screen.jpg

The modified aluminum adaptor plate on top of the stock screen.

By the way, I would be remiss if I didn't say that the Adventure style screen didn't have more area of coverage, the parts that drop down at the bottom of the screen. I didn't test both looking at that coverage closely as I was more interested in the head coverage. It might make a *small* difference.

The first NC700X to use the Madstad windshield was tested by the bike's owner in the factory parking lot using both screens. It is interesting to note that he chose the Adventure screen, which is why that is the default online. Go figure.

Is the width of the Sport SD the same as the Adventure - other than the lower tabs on the latter? Are there any clearance issues between the screen and the mirrors at full steering lock?

What is the screen thickness - I couldn't find any mention of it on the Madstad web site.

Screen thickness is 5mm. The base of the screens are identical width. The Sport SD is a bit over 1" wider (total) at the top. I also measured the clearance at full lock at the request of Madstad (I think they had a customer interested in going wider). The screen is one inch away from the mirror stem (as delivered by Honda) and a bit over two inches from the shift/brake levers. I have pictures with a measuring tape if you are interested.

As perhaps the most expensive system on the market, Madstad is very open to tweaks and exchanging shields. My modified base plate for example. So I suspect you can get just about anything within reason for the same price.

I would be interested in seeing a pic of the Adventure screen as close as possible to EXACT same angle as the Sport SD screen above so I can tell how much more coverage it has. I can't tell with the two shots being so different -- i.e., you can't see the seat in the shot of the Adventure screen. (Only if you got nothing better to do....)

EDIT: Actually I guess it would be easier to take a new shot of the SD screen to match the distance/angle of the Adventure screen shot because it back to Madstad --DUHHH!

Last edited:
I haven't sent it back yet, but I should have taken the picture of the two together before installing it. Here is the masking tape version:

IMG_0665.jpg

You will note that although both screens are nominally 20 inches, the Adventure gives you effectively about another inch of coverage at the bottom (versus one inch wider at the top for the SD). But again, Madstad will likely customize it any way you like within reason.

Thanks. Not a big difference. Was wondering if the Adventure screen would be more likely to protect the things I plan to mount behind it on the handle bars and such.

Yes, it does use the stock rubber well nuts. I decided to give them a try even though I have a set of Dale's nut plates. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, but I'm thinking if they do hold fine, then they will be better at keeping the vibration down. The venting is so much I'm hoping there isn't that much force being generated on the windscreen itself. Another note, the bracket uses the exact same rubber well nuts to secure the windscreen. So the question I have is has anyone had the rubber well nuts fail? Seems like I read that somewhere....

Yes they have, on the CalSci shields. That's why Dale made the ones that he did.

I bought the nut plates from Dale because of the OEM failure reports. I have a Medium CalSci screen but haven't swapped the OEM's for Dales yet. So far I haven't had any signs of failure and I have been in very high winds and speeds close to the max.

I had the stock fail on me last Monday. They worked fine for a long time with my CalSci, but in a sustained head wind the bottom left nut let go.
I had too see how long it would take and I'm glad I had Dale's fix already.

I had the stock fail on me last Monday. They worked fine for a long time with my CalSci, but in a sustained head wind the bottom left nut let go.

Glad it didn't end up embedded in your chest or faceplate!!

Guess I better swap mine out with the nut plates I got from Dale a few months ago. Even though I doubt the force on the Madstad (due to it's detached design) is as great as that on your CalSci, there's no need to tempt fate here. (Besides, I really DON'T have any hard evidence with which to back that opinion up.) Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.

LBS reluctantly, but wisely, refrains from any uncouth: "...nut let go after sustained head..." wisecracking.

It wasn't catastrophic or anything. The top left side of the screen moved toward the rear of the bike about two-three inches. The other three well nuts held on valiantly.
I had plenty of time to make it to a good paring spot to reattach it.

L.B.S. = ROFL!

Back