• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Sport screen installed - initial impressions.

Ramseysteve

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, it's expensive, but Mark Stadnyk is very hands-on, really stands behind his product, and his advice to me on sizing was spot on, with a pledge to take it back and replace it if the sizing wasn't right. All well and good, and in fairness some or most of the other windshield guys would do the same. Still, when you're outlaying close to $300, it's a comfort.

Installation was extremely easy, took no more than 10 minutes. I mounted the base mount to the bike using Dale's backing plates, and the screen attaches very solidly to the base mount with rubber mounts similar looking to Honda's well mounts, but somehow more solid feeling.

I'm 5'6" and with my seat lowered 1/2" or so, he recommended the 18" sport (I went for the light tint). In it's lowest position it's just low enough for me to see over it to a spot 40'-50' ahead. It is high enough to remind me to sit upright and not slouch. On a longer ride I'll be sitting on an Alaskanleather butt pad so will be sitting a little higher. Optically it's very true, so looking through it isn't a big deal anyway. With the range of adjustment available with the Robo Brackets it'll be fun to try different heights and rake angles. For now I'm going with the standard height and 60 degree rake.

The black aluminum base mount is much less obtrusive visually than I'd expected, and with the bike's silver/black paint it looks better in the flesh than in photos. The sport screen is a good choice size wise, (doesn't look overly big) and based on around 10 mins on the highway at 80-85mph, I felt it creates a (very) stable zone of air across my torso and head, but I do feel the full wind blast running up my arms. I had planned to fit Barkbusters prior to a road trip next week, but they weren't available in time. They would probably cut down the wind flow up my arms, but in the warm weather here it's kind of welcome anyway. Down the road I may talk to Mark about a wider screen for more coverage when touring, but for now, I'm very pleased with it, and really love the added stability at higher speeds.

Oh, and before people start shouting, I'll get some pictures done tomorrow..

Sweet! When I have the extra funds together I plan on getting one too. But for now I have the 8000mile service coming up, and new tires not too long after that. Hopefully before the winter I should have one too.

Biggest difference from the CalSci Sporty and the stock windshield is the stability at highway speeds. With the stock windshield and the CalSci At 75-85mph I always felt like I was riding in a crosswind or too close to an 18 wheeler, always getting a little side to side buffeting.That said, the Cal Sci definitely helped a lot at moderate speeds, say up to 45-55, but above those speeds it seemed to become more like the stock. It also looked very cool..

Back