• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

lowering the NCx

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
considering lowering the back end of my bike but not the front.
the reason is that I'm still sliding forward a little even with the air hawk pad.
it seem to reduce my numb bum syndrome little but it get uncomfortable in the nether regions.
yes I know it'll make the bike turn quicker.
most roads here that I ride on has up and downs and some steep.
it just feels as though I'm sliding forward but under wear isn't and no I wont be going commando:)
make my own dog bone. so what is the distance between the holes so that I can drop it roughly 25/30mm.
here is a picture without and with ...

DSC02689.jpg
DSC03052.jpg

Original distance is 133.5 mm. Increasing it to 150 mm lessen clearance for about 50 mm.
If you make distance 142 mm you should get about 30 mm drop. This would increase caster angle, so theoretically that would make bike turning slower.

View attachment 26203

+2 .........raising the front of seat is a better choice than lowering the rear suspension........as long as you have long enough legs

I have lowered my bike via some adjustable links I got on ebay. I pulled the spring from the shock, and compressed the rear til the shock was bottomed, and then lenghtened the links until the tire just missed the inner rear fender. I also tried lowering the front, but right now I run with the front in normal position. I like lowering the rear instead of raising the front of the seat for a number of reasons.

1) it lowers the bike, and at 5'9", I like to get my feet on the ground when stopped.
2) it rotates the whole bike, improving the ergo's to the foot pegs and handlebars.
3) it allows the saddle to be run w/o the spacers in the front improving looks, and security as the tab at the front of the seat is now securely locked into its slot.

[...I pulled the spring from the shock, and compressed the rear til the shock was bottomed, and then lenghtened the links until the tire just missed the inner rear fender...]

I'm surprised that the wheel can come so close to the inner fender. Did you notice that the rear got stiffer with the lowering links which may have required reduced preload to compensate?

Leaving the front the original height while the rear is lowered usually results in slower steering.

thanks for the replies.
by lowering the back end will also make it easier for my wife to get on.
later I want to fit a large top box on to hold two helmets.
we don't go on any dirt road and we don't have anything like guys have over there, here only private road but leading to farmers house.
so lowering the bike even by 40 mm will not make any difference on our roads and of course lowering that much I will need to lower the front as well.
I have no problem putting my feet down,so that is not an issue.
yes your right lootzyan it will make turn slower,thanks for the info.john

[...I pulled the spring from the shock, and compressed the rear til the shock was bottomed, and then lenghtened the links until the tire just missed the inner rear fender...]

I'm surprised that the wheel can come so close to the inner fender. Did you notice that the rear got stiffer with the lowering links which may have required reduced preload to compensate?

Leaving the front the original height while the rear is lowered usually results in slower steering.

Stock, the tire doesn't hit the inner fender. Lengthening the links lower the rear end (raises the wheel), so only lowered bike need worry abot the tire hitting the inner fender. I should have said "I shortened the links, until the tire just missed".

I don't really know what is going on with the progression, but I have an 1100# spring on there, and the rear end does not feel hard. I installed a Tuono shock at the same time I did the lowering.

25467d1438340598-aprilia-tuono-rear-shock-sachs-img_1583-jpg

I installed 40mm lowering links by lust racing and lowered the front by half an inch. I was on my toes before and now i'm flat footed when stopped, although I'm all the way forward on the seat to do so. I'm 5'8" and 180 lbs.

I installed 40mm lowering links by lust racing and lowered the front by half an inch. I was on my toes before and now i'm flat footed when stopped, although I'm all the way forward on the seat to do so. I'm 5'8" and 180 lbs.

I'm also 5'8" 177lbs but it's the inseam that counts. I come in at 29 ~ 30", at least those are the pants I always buy.

So, if I put an F3 shock on back and then lower the front legs upwards into the triple trees the bike should be a little lower and still handle the same?

I lowered the rear by 15mm and the front by 12mm. It made a huge difference but not in the way I was expecting.

I had to fork over $130 for a new side stand that's 20mm shorter than stock and use a 2" x 10" that's 15" long and is tapered in order to raise the bike on the center stand. Riding and handling didn't change and it's only marginally easier to get on and off the bike. I have a 31" inseam and am flat footed with knees slightly bent at rest.

Back