• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Low COG drawbacks

W

wildeone

I have noticed it at higher speeds, it's harder to lean bike or flip it over quickly.
Hanging off sometimes necessary.
Any other related problems?

Hadn't noticed that at all. Is it my old quick lean VFR? No. But it sure isn't my slow lean Nighthawk either.... all about perspective I think.

"Polar Moment of Inertia"

Honda discovered this drawback when they experimented with the first (I think) NS500 GP bike, that putting the fuel tank under the engine, and the expansion chambers (two-stroke exhaust pipes) over the engine, made the bike not handle as quickly as needed, due to it being harder to tip over and then back upright.

Rake/Trail/Wheelbase/Tire profile, and other factors are also cumulative as far as what makes a bike handle slower or quicker, or in a particular fashion, when compared to another.

It's not something radically worth worrying about in the average mild street, non-race bike, unless you are one of those particularly effected by it, due to your riding style/conditions, etc.

It's like me complaining that there is not enough ground clearance with the NC700X, when I'm trying to ride it like a much more aggressive dual sport with 9" of suspension travel, hee hee. :eek: Most average NCX buyers would (rightly so, lol) simply say: "don't ride it like that, you big dummy" :D

Given the NCX's build mandate and target audience, I can hardly call the manyfold advantages of low COG a "drawback" per se; but that's just my opinion. :)

My children would come to me with pains..."it hurts when I do this"......"well then don't do that" was my standard response.

just wonder if guys on top heavy bikes like e.g. v-strom amd similar have any advantage at all at some situations? taking handling very fast speeds out of the question.

I'm not sure how much the CoG has to do with the 'slow-'ish handling. That's wheelbase and steering geometry, mainly, I think. True, though, that for 2 otherwise-identical bikes, the one with the lower CoG will require you to lean further over (in terms of degrees of lean angle) in order to make a given corner at a given speed.

at 100 mph?

Best I've pulled the 700x was about 105 and was on a freeway, very little leaning adjusting to be done...of course, these days 75-85 is "higher speeds" to me. Were I still looking to play in turns etc at 100+mph, I'd probably not have chosen the NC to play with....just my .02.

I have had and raced a couple of bikes, and the nc700x does take more effort to lean at higher speeds, but not so noticeable that it will affect the riding it was meant to do in any way.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that geometry has far more to do with it than weight distribution, and I'd think that low CG would actually make turning easier at high speeds, all else being equal. Centripetal force wants to stand the bike back up in a fast turn. The higher the weight, the further out on the lever it is.

just wonder if guys on top heavy bikes like e.g. v-strom amd similar have any advantage at all at some situations? taking handling very fast speeds out of the question.

My bike prior to the NCX was a Varadero, a very, very top heavy bike. My NC is far more flickable than that beast ever was.

I flick my NC into and out of corners using the steering, I reckon the low COG is an advantage for this.

I agree with Wildeone with regard to the NC's reluctance to turn at speed. I also agree with other comments suggesting that the COG has less to do with it than wheelbase or possibly even fork angle.

One of my bikes is a Triumph 1200 Explorer. It is a big top heavy lump with a shaft. Getting it up off the sidestand takes much more effort than does the NC. Likewise with wheeling it around my yard. Its wet weight according to the handbook is 571lbs. My NC is 481lbs. There is a 90lb difference between the bikes. However over the same course I can ride the Triumph a lot quicker. It has an ability to steer much quicker than the NC does and I have to admit this does surprise me. The NC takes a lot more concentration to get changes of direction right on S bends and the like. Wildeone has a point.....

If you bought the NC700X as a high speed strafer for riding on the super slab or a track then you might want to re-think your purchase. The low CG is designed for low speed maneuverability and in this capacity it shines. I can nearly lay this thing on its side in 15-20 mile an hour 90 degree turns, its freaking awesome really. I'm used to doing rodeo's and this bike would be kick arse in that capacity. I've dragged the pegs so many times I'm a bit worried. Never have tried to ride it hard in corners at high speeds though.

This is why us bike lovers will have a stable full of beauties!

One set up to take off road, one set up for commuting, and one set up for taking the twisties at warp speeds.

Same as having a plow horse, a buggy horse, and a racing horse.

So, it sounds to me like you have your buggy horse and you need to purchase your race horse.

God bless!!

Michael

Back