• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Love My Madstad but is it Too Tall?

I bought the 20" and had them mark, but not drill the holes. I then drilled my own holes 1 3/4 inch higher than their marks. I can still put the screen most anywhere I could at Madstad's location, but I can lower the screen more. I just thought it looked too high the way they had it. The bottom tip of mine at the low position is about 1 inch above the mount plate.
image.jpg

I bought the 20" and had them mark, but not drill the holes. I then drilled my own holes 1 3/4 inch higher than their marks. I can still put the screen most anywhere I could at Madstad's location, but I can lower the screen more. I just thought it looked too high the way they had it. The bottom tip of mine at the low position is about 1 inch above the mount plate.
View attachment 29750

Has your lower positioning affected the flow of air that is supposed to come under the screen? I am seriously considering purchasing a madstad and I think I would want to mount it lower with my own holes as well, but I do want to keep it as effective as it's supposed to be.

Has your lower positioning affected the flow of air that is supposed to come under the screen? I am seriously considering purchasing a madstad and I think I would want to mount it lower with my own holes as well, but I do want to keep it as effective as it's supposed to be.

Well, Madstad engineering could probably argue their reasoning for setting the screen height where they do, but my feeling is that the headlight shell is a continuation of the slope of the Madstad mounting plate, thus setting it a little lower does not affect the air shooting up the back side, which is in integral part of the design.

In any case, with mine set at its lowest position, the air flow still goes well over my head.

Well, Madstad engineering could probably argue their reasoning for setting the screen height where they do, but my feeling is that the headlight shell is a continuation of the slope of the Madstad mounting plate, thus setting it a little lower does not affect the air shooting up the back side, which is in integral part of the design.

In any case, with mine set at its lowest position, the air flow still goes well over my head.

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what is your inseam? I've been researching windshields for days and I think I've finally reached a conclusion.

I am 6'4" with a 35 inch inseam and I have the 20 inch Madstad. Doesn't get very cold her in California and I keep it in the lowest position most of the time so I can get plenty of wind from the neck up. I will put it up higher in the Winter and it does just fine. Ride with it for a while in different positions to find out what you like.

I have the biggest of them all - a whopping 24" screen! (as suggested by Mark at Madstad)
I did drill holes to lower it, and I keep it in the lowest position possible...headlight glare and the edge glow can be an issue.
I blacked out the bottom part of the screen, and painted black the very edges all around - that cut the edge glow to nothing
Angle the screen all the way back towards me for more breeze in the summer, angle forward for cutting it off a lot of the breeze in cooler weather.
I also have a Puig screen deflector on top, and adjust that as needed. I am always playing around for best combo - lots of ways to configure and set it

Back