• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for saddlebag advice

johnkrumm

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,

I have a 2013 red nc700x and finally want to get some luggage. I met another guy with the same bike the other day and he really likes his Honda set. Looks like they only come in silver. Is that correct?

I'm certainly open to cheaper soft luggage solutions if people have recommendations. Hard cases like Givi look good but very expensive.

Thanks

John

The trunk (topcase), as far as I know, only comes in silver and black. But the saddle bags come black. You can get silver decorative/aesthetic panels for them, but unless you purchase them additionally, they're just black.

I'd suggest getting some form of hard/locking luggage, whether saddlebags and/or topcase/trunk, just for security/peace of mind when you're on trips, but that's just my preference.

Other brands of hard luggage are very popular as well, but I have the full hard/locking OEM set and am very happy with it. It's pricey as well, however, because in addition to the luggage pieces themselves, additional bracketry is required which, IIRC, will run you close to $250 just for that.

Bottom line is that hard cases are expensive, but usually worth it.

Hi folks,

I have a 2013 red nc700x and finally want to get some luggage. I met another guy with the same bike the other day and he really likes his Honda set. Looks like they only come in silver. Is that correct?

I'm certainly open to cheaper soft luggage solutions if people have recommendations. Hard cases like Givi look good but very expensive.

Thanks

John

I have the OEM set. I purchased the Silver side panels and painted them red to match the bike. I was not going for the adventure look so stayed with the OEM set as they function well and look great.DSCN1972.jpg

A cheaper luggage option would be pelican clone side cases ($100 for both) on any flat side racks of your choice and for the trunk, you can get the givi support mount on a givi replica trunk ($40). Think you could get all for about $500 if you shop around. Btw, saw a used set of Honda side cases with scratches for $220 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks,

I have a 2013 red nc700x and finally want to get some luggage. . . . Hard cases like Givi look good but very expensive.

Thanks

John

Just be aware that Honda has rigged the OEM luggage option to maximize revenue. Attaching the luggage requires the purchase of multiple accessory items which add up fast. For the whole luggage set, you have to discard the stock passenger grab rails, install optional grab rails, install the rear carrier, and install the side bag mounts. List price just for all this mounting hardware from Honda is $500 (US), although discounts are readily available. That's before you even purchase the luggage for $825 list. If you want to add the side bag accent panels, add another $90.

Compare the whole package price to Givi and other brands before ruling them out.

Thanks, the red paint job looks great. I'm guessing that the set sold through Honda Direct at Amazon is just for the bags? It's confusing because they picture the trunk as well.

See 670cc's post above - the OEM set is expensive, true... But I was going for the Mini-ST1100 look... I had three of those prior to this. Getting too old for that great, but huge/heavy bike...

Thanks, good to know. I need to find a Givi dealer somewhere I suppose and see what the options are. Our town (Duluth) is home to the apparel maker Aerostich, and they have a store that sells some waterproof soft bags (I forget the brand, but they also make bicycle bags).

I liked the OEM bags. I like how they use the bike key, and I like how tightly they fit to the bike. I would try to buy a used set, they are expensive. I bought a set of Cee Baileys saddle bag liners which let me efficiently use all of the awkwardly-shaped space inside the hard cases.

There are plenty of brands to choose from with cheaper and more expensive, larger and smaller choices in their product lines. Shad and Hepco & Becker and probably a few other reputable manufacturers seem to get short shrift around here for no reason I can fathom.

Thanks, good to know. I need to find a Givi dealer somewhere I suppose and see what the options are. Our town (Duluth) is home to the apparel maker Aerostich, and they have a store that sells some waterproof soft bags (I forget the brand, but they also make bicycle bags).

Those would be Ortlieb bags. I had a set on my old bikes, the quick release ones. I was originally going to incorporate those on my bike as well since I'm planning to get a smaller 250 and I could use these bags in the future but I no longer get a significant discount on them anymore so looking at different options. I was thinking they would go well with the givi TE1111 side racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for something cheap but well made, then try [THESE].

If you need help on making supports for saddle bags, there are also cheap ways to do that.

If you want it to look "cool", then get out your check book!

I just upgraded from the Honda OEM cases to Hepco Becker 42 liter Journey cases. I will be selling my Honda bags with mounts. Let me know if you're interested and I'll figure out a fair price for everything. I also have the silver side panels that are still new in the box. I'm leaving early tomorrow for a trip to New England so if I don't get back to you until Monday, I'm not ignoring you.
BTW, I'm a big fan of Aerostich!. I have the Darien and Roadcrafter Light. Just receive their TLTec windproof fleece delivered today, just in time for the trip.

Last edited:
I just upgraded from the Honda OEM cases to Hepco Becker 42 liter Journey cases. I will be selling my Honda bags with mounts. Let me know if you're interested and I'll figure out a fair price for everything. I also have the silver side panels that are still new in the box. I'm leaving early tomorrow for a trip to New England so if I don't get back to you until Monday, I'm not ignoring you.
BTW, I'm a big fan of Aerostich!. I have the Darien and Roadcrafter Light. Just receive their TLTec windproof fleece delivered today, just in time for the trip.

And if you pick these up, drop me a line and I'll hook you up with the right paint to make those panels red!

Also if you are interested in getting the Givi bags at a good price there is the motostorm.it site in Italy. It takes a little while to get your order, but the substantial savings is worth it. They also carry the Kappa bags which are also made by Givi but less expensive. So for the Givi V35 bags the comparable bag in Kappa is the K33N. The confusing part with all of these is making sure you get the right kits for mounting the bags to go with it. I recently mounted a set of Kappa K33N's and a Givi V47 topcase that I purchased from Motostorm.it and I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I have to get some pics posted to the forum. If you want Givi/Kappa at a good price that is where I would check.

Also if you are interested in getting the Givi bags at a good price there is the motostorm.it site in Italy. It takes a little while to get your order, but the substantial savings is worth it. They also carry the Kappa bags which are also made by Givi but less expensive. So for the Givi V35 bags the comparable bag in Kappa is the K33N. The confusing part with all of these is making sure you get the right kits for mounting the bags to go with it. I recently mounted a set of Kappa K33N's and a Givi V47 topcase that I purchased from Motostorm.it and I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I have to get some pics posted to the forum. If you want Givi/Kappa at a good price that is where I would check.

You sir are correct.
Bought this set up today...

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.10.21 PM.jpg

If you can get a set of used hard bags that is probably a really good savings.
If you want to buy a set you can move from bike to bike... you probably won't want to go with Honda unless you expect to only purchase honda bikes in the future. Even if you do stick with Honda, you may have a hard time finding mounting brackets for these cases on the Honda bike you want.
For that reason going with an aftermarket set of cases would give you allot more probability that you could use them on your next bike.

Having said all that... if you get used Honda OEM cases at a great price.. you can always sell them with the bike for a higher sales price and recover most of your $$ to use on another set of cases for whatever bike you get.

One other thing to consider... some cases have the top opening feature that lets you reach down into the cases without dropping down the whole side of the case when you open it, making you repack that case on the side of the road if you have to get into it. Givi Trekkers are top opening if you want to see an example of this. Being aware of your options, the pro's and con's of each should give you enough info to make your decision based on price as well.GiviTrekker.jpg

Givi made a wingrack a while back that they would make fitment kits to make that rack fit many different bikes. I don't know if they are still doing this or not now, but it was a neat idea. Keep the wingrack to use on your next bike and just buy the fitment kit to mount it to your next bike (usually less than $100).
givi_n141_wingrack.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2013 red nc700x and finally want to get some luggage. I met another guy with the same bike the other day and he really likes his Honda set.
My suggestion would be first consider what you want to use the luggage for.

If you use your NC for local commuting and need the space for a rain suit, flat tire tools, and light odd items, then smaller side cases like the Honda set is fine. Those sets are ignition key lockable, very easy to quickly remove or put back on, carrying handles to use when off the bike, streamlined, and ascetically good looking. But the downside is that they are not waterproof, along with the limited interior volume and shape that makes it difficult to pack for trips.

If your plans include long m/c camping trips, you will need to consider waterproof larger volume box style cans. This is another example where size (and shape) matters. (38 or a 45, What is Your Preference?)

Consider your needs, and then choose wisely.

Ray

Last edited:
Back