• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for a good gps with a specific function in mind

Last edited:
What he said x10!! No need to spend more than twice the price especially if you just want basic GPS functions and don't need the extra "motorcycle" specific extras (which I don't).

Another positive for the Nuvi 550. I've used mine for years. It has been all over the place on many different bikes (and cars) in many different weather conditions and has never let me down. The removable battery is another plus.

WGW

The Nuvi 550 is preloaded with road maps. The Nuvi 500 is the same hardware device but it is preloaded with topographical maps. The topo maps have roads on them but they are also loaded up with elevation lines, ditches, etc. Every little drainage ditch in a farm field is on there. It's just cluttered with too much info for road use; it would be better for hiking.

That being said, however, if you got a 500 really cheap, you can load the streets maps in it as well, and have both. Mine actually is a 500 with topo, street, and inland lakes all installed at once. You can switch between the map sets.

The GPS has different modes, such as car, boat, walking, bicycling, and scooter mode (Sorry, Rocker66).

Greg

Last edited:
Back in the day we had lamanted road maps and read the speed limit signs (it was call the 80's for the young 'uns)

Haha. Ah yes, I remember analog maps. Old school.... :)

Ever do roll charts? I'm hoping to do the Oklahoma section of the TAT using a roll chart and GPS as a backup. Already have the charts and holder. Just need to commit to a date to get it done.

WGW

Haha. Ah yes, I remember analog maps. Old school.... :)

Ever do roll charts? I'm hoping to do the Oklahoma section of the TAT using a roll chart and GPS as a backup. Already have the charts and holder. Just need to commit to a date to get it done.

WGW

Used a roll chart one time in an ill fated attempt to become an American enduro superstar, was lost by the forth checkpoint and it never got better, I got a squad lost on a land navigation exercise and had to borrow a phone and get directions back to the base. Thats how I found out that the woods were not my natural environment. I was a hell of a shot with a sniper weapon, you just didn't want me navigating to the hide.

Yesterday BBC was showing an experiment on whether Men or Women navigated better.
And guess what?
One man (say 60 years old) quietly took out his new iPHONE and claimed all's fair.... (others were given paper maps etc)
:p

Only useful when you have a data signal in most cases as the phones do not actually host entire maps (at least in the US).

I purchased the Tomtom app for my iPhone and it works offline, exactly like a "real" GPS. The app even mutes my music and streams instructions to my BT helmet. Moreover, no need for any external mixer, the iPhone takes care of switching audio between music/GPS/phone/other apps. That way, I only carry one device for all my needs.

Garmin e-trex 20 - does everything you asked for plus - and the price is low. additionally, it's about the size of a pack of smokes so you don't have to worry about where to put it when you're parked.

IMG_1401.jpg

Garmin e-trex 20 - does everything you asked for plus - and the price is low. additionally, it's about the size of a pack of smokes so you don't have to worry about where to put it when you're parked.

View attachment 6435

Okay, you've peaked my curiosity and I looked this up on Amazon. I have some questions.

What is the difference between this type and for instance the nuvi's? What does this NOT do that the other types do?

The screen looks rather small like it would be difficult to focus on while mounted to a bouncing handlebar.

Al I want is to be told "turn right, turn left" etc Is this unit load enough to hear or does it pictorially tell you what to do next?

The price seems right, almost too good to be true so I wonder what I am missing.

Thanks

Okay, you've peaked my curiosity and I looked this up on Amazon. I have some questions.

What is the difference between this type and for instance the nuvi's? What does this NOT do that the other types do?

The screen looks rather small like it would be difficult to focus on while mounted to a bouncing handlebar.

Al I want is to be told "turn right, turn left" etc Is this unit load enough to hear or does it pictorially tell you what to do next?

The price seems right, almost too good to be true so I wonder what I am missing.

Thanks

Not in color, no voice for turn by turns. Great for hiking, or plugged into the usb port of a laptop while driving to give you an enormous color guide should you have the compatible software installed. The software also puts tracks on the map of where you've been. A great little device, but no color and no voice.

Edit: Just saw it IS in color. The one I own is monochromatic.

Last edited:
Yes, it is color but it's not going to tell you when or where to turn (unless you pre-program your route into it using Gamin's 'Base Camp' software.) it shows a map and the arrow mid screen represents 'you'. as far as being able to see the screen clearly I've not had any issues what-so-ever. One thing noteworthy, it comes with basic street maps showing main roads, hwys, ect. if you subscribe to BirdsEye, ($20 year i think?) then you're looking at a high rez satellite image like google earth. I've got Birdseye & Topo maps on mine as I use it on the bike and for hiking - I love the little bugger.

... If you want to be told 'turn left', 'turn right', where to go, ect. No GPS is as good as a wife sitting behind you. :)

Last edited:
Back