• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking at NC700X this weekend -- simple maintenance looks real easy

I know thy did have a recall on the chain, but i think it might have only been on the 2012 models. These bikes are pretty bullet proof, unless you see obvious signs of abuse.
Now that's a strange motorcycle part to get wrong -- with 70+ years of experience with chain-driven vehicles. It must have been a manufacturing problem -- not design.

The OEM chain seems to get low milage, at least here in Europe it is not abnormal to change the factory chain well under 15k miles.

Your mileage may vary, of course ;)

Now that's a strange motorcycle part to get wrong -- with 70+ years of experience with chain-driven vehicles. It must have been a manufacturing problem -- not design.

The chain recall was for 2012 models only. Improperly hardened side plates from a certain chain supplier were suspected of potential breakage. To address the problem, the dealer inspected the chain to determine the supplier, and replaced the chain if necessary.

As for chain life, I got 17,000 miles out of my original. The OEM chains were from major chain manufacturers, but were on the low end of their price/quality spectrum.

The chain recall was for 2012 models only. Improperly hardened side plates from a certain chain supplier were suspected of potential breakage. To address the problem, the dealer inspected the chain to determine the supplier, and replaced the chain if necessary.

As for chain life, I got 17,000 miles out of my original. The OEM chains were from major chain manufacturers, but were on the low end of their price/quality spectrum.
Thanks for that background info.

That is regardless driving habits ;)

Poor joints and / or factory lubrication causing premature hard points, even with good care.

That is regardless driving habits ;)

Poor joints and / or factory lubrication causing premature hard points, even with good care.
I guess it's a moot point for the 2013 model since the chain was fixed in 2013 ??? Hopefully for the entire model year of 2013, not midway thru.

I guess it's a moot point for the 2013 model since the chain was fixed in 2013 ??? Hopefully for the entire model year of 2013, not midway thru.

The 2012 recall addressed only potential breakage. Relatively low OEM chain life continued for all model years. It's not that bad, but not quite as good as a better chain like a DID VX2.

I found these performance stats, mainly for comparison with other bikes I own (or have owned). I realize this isn't a performance bike. I'm not thinking about purchasing it for that reason.

PERFORMANCE
1/4-mile 13.86 sec. @ 94.23 mph
0-30 mph 1.6 sec.
0-60 mph 4.9 sec.
0-90 mph 11.9 sec.
0-100 mph 17.3 sec.
Top gear time to speed: 40-60 mph 6.9 sec.
Top gear time to speed: 60-80 mph 8.7 sec.
Measured top speed 111 mph
Engine speed at 60 mph 3229 rpm

The NC performs well in the following ways:

The 50 horsepower it has is usable in the real world. The power is available from the get go in the low rpm range.

The low RPM operation makes for smooth and relaxed riding.

The fuel ecomy is excellent. I ride in a very conservative manner. MPG average over 30,000 miles has been 76 MPG.

I have no no clue what the top speed is and I don't care. Nor do I care what the 1/4 mile time is, since that's not how I ride.

NC stands for New Concept, hence comparing to other bikes (old concept?) is sort of apples and oranges.

I'm no racer-rat either -- never implied that -- at least not in my later years. Besides, if I want to go fast I'll ride either my ZX-14R, my B-King, or my K1200S. But I also don't want to be embarrassed by some guy on a 250 Nighthawk. That's why I posted those performance stats -- for me and anybody else who wants to get an idea of how their NC700X compares (performance-wise) with other motorcycles. And I realize (like I stated before) that this bike isn't designed for racing. I'll say this, judging from those performance stats, it looks like H-D Big Twin territory. I know, I've had three of them.

Now, can anyone tell me how well this bad boy handles? I'm also not looking to go road-racing but it would be nice to have a bike that wasn't just designed for the super-slab and city streets.

The stock chain and sprockets lasted 13,000 miles on my 2013. The stock chain went south rapidly after 10k and started to crew up both sprockets.

I recently replaced the air filter. To replace it required the removal of both air ducts (as they are called), battery access panel in the frunk and the cross member that has the key lock mount in it and the latch mechanism. There's a combination of push fasteners and screws to remove all the required paneling to get access to the airbox.

If I were to rate this on a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate it as a 3.5 to 4. Removal of the seat release cable is required to remove center member assembly completely. Be sure to install that cable back into its position before putting everything back together.

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
I'm no racer-rat either -- never implied that -- at least not in my later years. Besides, if I want to go fast I'll ride either my ZX-14R, my B-King, or my K1200S. But I also don't want to be embarrassed by some guy on a 250 Nighthawk. That's why I posted those performance stats -- for me and anybody else who wants to get an idea of how their NC700X compares (performance-wise) with other motorcycles. And I realize (like I stated before) that this bike isn't designed for racing. I'll say this, judging from those performance stats, it looks like H-D Big Twin territory. I know, I've had three of them.

Now, can anyone tell me how well this bad boy handles? I'm also not looking to go road-racing but it would be nice to have a bike that wasn't just designed for the super-slab and city streets.
The NC700X handles very well out of the box but the price point suspension gets knotted up when the pace picks up on less-than-perfect pavement. With $1000 in suspension upgrades mine is one of the best handling bikes I've owned. It carries insane corner speed, turning in obediently and following the chosen line, allowing mid turn corrections if desired. Like any low powered bike it's all about preserving momentum in the corners. It's one of my favorite rides in the mountains. Great fun. I'm on Bridgestone T30 tires.

The articles I've read tend to say it has a low center of gravity owing to the gas tank under the seat and the pistons leaning 65 deg. forward (not purely upright). That makes it "nimble" at cornering, I read.

My experience is that it's a very stable, predictable, ride.

Doing a YouTube.com search with "NC700X track" brings up a lot of video and (presumably) audio from riders more qualified to comment. If you have some time, watch and listen to what the expert riders say.

The stock chain and sprockets lasted 13,000 miles on my 2013. The stock chain went south rapidly after 10k and started to crew up both sprockets.

I recently replaced the air filter. To replace it required the removal of both air ducts (as they are called), battery access panel in the frunk and the cross member that has the key lock mount in it and the latch mechanism. There's a combination of push fasteners and screws to remove all the required paneling to get access to the airbox.

If I were to rate this on a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate it as a 3.5 to 4. Removal of the seat release cable is required to remove center member assembly completely. Be sure to install that cable back into its position before putting everything back together.

Hope this helps you out.
Yes. That helps me out. Thank you.

The NC700X handles very well out of the box but the price point suspension gets knotted up when the pace picks up on less-than-perfect pavement. With $1000 in suspension upgrades mine is one of the best handling bikes I've owned. It carries insane corner speed, turning in obediently and following the chosen line, allowing mid turn corrections if desired. Like any low powered bike it's all about preserving momentum in the corners. It's one of my favorite rides in the mountains. Great fun. I'm on Bridgestone T30 tires.
Thanks. Like I said, I'm not a road-racer or drag-racer anymore. Although I thought I was, I was never real good at either, even in my prime. I'm an adequate rider. Now I am really sedate. Good to know some guy on a H-D Fat Boy won't be able to pass me in the twisties.

The articles I've read tend to say it has a low center of gravity owing to the gas tank under the seat and the pistons leaning 65 deg. forward (not purely upright). That makes it "nimble" at cornering, I read.

My experience is that it's a very stable, predictable, ride.

Doing a YouTube.com search with "NC700X track" brings up a lot of video and (presumably) audio from riders more qualified to comment. If you have some time, watch and listen to what the expert riders say.
Thanks. I will take some time to watch those videos.

This forum, with its members who seem happy to respond to a newbie's questions about the NC700X, makes me want to buy a NC700X just to be part of this crowd. <two thumbs up>

My hat is off to those who have responded here, when there's a chance I may not even buy one. Going this Saturday to look -- it's a long drive -- four hours round trip.

It is a very easy ride, stable yet nimble, really surprising given its weight. When switching with the Street Triple, which is quite its antithesis, and back, I can't tell the NC handles badly. This is telling something ;)

I found these performance stats, mainly for comparison with other bikes I own (or have owned). I realize this isn't a performance bike. I'm not thinking about purchasing it for that reason.

PERFORMANCE
1/4-mile 13.86 sec. @ 94.23 mph
0-30 mph 1.6 sec.
0-60 mph 4.9 sec.
0-90 mph 11.9 sec.
0-100 mph 17.3 sec.
Top gear time to speed: 40-60 mph 6.9 sec.
Top gear time to speed: 60-80 mph 8.7 sec.
Measured top speed 111 mph
Engine speed at 60 mph 3229 rpm

The usable torque on this bike makes all the difference. It comes on at lower rpm's and around town the acceleration is actually brisk. On the highway you'll have to downshift a gear at two to get decent acceleration but even then it's adequate. My Zero accelerates like a bat out of hell and yet when I get on the NC it never feels slow. The 0-30 and 0-60 times are actually respectable and my unofficial timing says those numbers are fairly accurate. I think you will be satisfied with it.

Back