• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Long distance rides: What distance do you shoot for, per day of riding?

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
On a nice road trip recently, I figured out that 500-600 miles was a good number to shoot for before I call it a day.
Any more than that, and it would be difficult (for me) to get up and cover 600+ miles for a few days in a row.

What are you's covering per day on a long ride?

Last edited:
About the same 600 miles per day. On my BMW I would shoot normally for 700-800 per day but the NC seat and ergonomics do not allow this. My goal is to get the NC up to the same level of comfort. I have found over many bikes and many years that my maximum is normally about 1.5 times my "normal". My max on the BMW in one day has been 1,385 miles. I am sure that 900 on the NC would have me ready for the nearest chiropractor.

You guys are making me feel better about my upcoming 300 mile ride. I'm used to mostly backroads sub 65mph commutes that last 1-1.5 hours.

Guess it really depends if you are slabbing it or taking 2 lane roads. For me there is nothing to see on the interstate. If i'm in that much of a hurry that I have to take interstate I take the car. I ride for pleasure. Nothing better than seeing the country. 2 years ago (on my VFR) I went for an 8k mile trip. Of that there was about 25 miles of slab (it was unavoidable).

The better question than miles is hours in the saddle. You can cover alot more ground quickly on the slab

I did 100km today, with my son. It is his first inaugural ride on a motorcycle. He is 8.

Long time ago, the max I went at one go was 800km.
But then what's the rush?
:p

500 miles and up is a "long" ride...

Usually, I set the TomTom to a distant place (Las Vegas) and then check the ETA for the round trip. If it's later than 9PM, I adjust it down.

The Iron Butt folks have a # of rides you get certificates for completing. I've done the Saddle Sore 1000 a few times (1000 miles in 24 hours or less). Once to get the certificate (no my mom did not hang it on the refrigerator...), and then once so someone else could... and then once as a church fund raiser.

1000 miles in 24 hrs works out to a 5AM start that finishes up about 8PM.

I'm planning to make a second attempt at the 50cc (Coast to Coast in 50 hrs or less) this April.

When I ride to Florida, it is 800 miles/13 hr days (I do this 2-3 times per year). I did the 1000 miles in 18 hours last Labor day (read the directions wrong or I could have done it in 15-16 hours). 150-200 mile riding on Saturdays or Sundays during the summer are the norm for me.

Places to go, miles to make - 600 miles per day. That's sustainable for me when I'm in riding shape. I've done two 730-740 mile days back to back, that was enough for me.

If I've got things to see along the way, or am avoiding interstate, then 200-400 miles fills up the day nicely.

For me it's more of a psychological barrier than a true physical one. 1,000 Km seems to be a nice round number to stay under. (approx. 620 miles give or take.)

It also tends to be a far more realistic number, as I'm seldom in that much of a hurry, or willing to go extensively over the speed limit to get to a location before it's completely dark out. I want to get to a place and not be in a rush to find, set up the tent, and be able to relax for awhile prior to calling it a night.

110-120 kph for a day's riding is near 1,000 km in theory, (say 10 hours tops) but in reality, with slower average speeds and fuel stops, snack breaks, doing U-Turns to take pictures, getting lost lol, etc., the result of a day's ride for me is much more along the lines of 800 km (500 mile) or so, and unless I absolutely must be somewhere, it's fine by me.

A long ride for me has to do with time in the saddle. I will lose interest in just about anything after 5-6 hours. I can find better things to do than sitting on a bike for ten plus hours. On long trips I try to keep rides to under three hundred miles so that I have afternoons to see sights and relax. There is no problem doing this day after day. But I am too old and too slow.

Riding back roads in Arkansas and Oklahoma about 300-350 makes for a long day. On trips (grand canyon, key west, ....) my first day is normally about 800 miles, then drops to 500 max. I'm usually in a hurry to get away from anything I could do on a weekend, and get to new territory. We rode Sallisaw, OK to Key West in 2 days, and didn't take a map or GPS. It took 7 days to get back home (sight seeing on the return).

450 is a pretty long day. My longest was 1100 and change in 23.5 hours. I was more tired than sore. I wouldn't want to do it too many times in a row though.

Riding back roads in Arkansas and Oklahoma about 300-350 makes for a long day. On trips (grand canyon, key west, ....) my first day is normally about 800 miles, then drops to 500 max. I'm usually in a hurry to get away from anything I could do on a weekend, and get to new territory. We rode Sallisaw, OK to Key West in 2 days, and didn't take a map or GPS. It took 7 days to get back home (sight seeing on the return).

This is the way I would like to go to the Grand Canyon. I do enjoy the ride even if it's tearing up the interstate. When I start a trip, I want to put my hometown as far away as I can on the first day.

Ideally, I think 500 mile days would not be any problem, but 300-400 would be more enjoyable and (as already said) allow for some down time before hitting the sack.

Quote ; Ideally, I think 500 mile days would not be any problem, but 300-400 would be more enjoyable and (as already said) allow for some down time before hitting the sack.

Noticed the older I get the sleeping isn't as productive. But after a good 5-600 mi. jaunt , crawling into a tent or some cheap motel room and it's lights out. About the only time the alarm on the iphone is needed.

Quote ; Ideally, I think 500 mile days would not be any problem, but 300-400 would be more enjoyable and (as already said) allow for some down time before hitting the sack.

Noticed the older I get the sleeping isn't as productive. But after a good 5-600 mi. jaunt , crawling into a tent or some cheap motel room and it's lights out. About the only time the alarm on the iphone is needed.

That's true for me too. It's getting going the next day(s) that begins to be problematic.

I've always been an early riser and there's not many things more I like than seeing the sunrise from the saddle of a motorcycle. A 10 or 11 hour day can get me 500+ miles away and in camp or a motel by 4 PM. When I started riding again an old timer was telling me his method of putting down long days. He said get on the bike and ride at least 40 miles before stopping for coffee or breakfast. Hanging around in the morning is a time killer unless of course that's what you like to do. When I'm on a trip I'm going riding.

Its not always about distance either. The longest day I did last year was 500 miles, but that was 95% back roads and an average speed for the day of 45, even though we did have some fun 70 MPH runs through twisties. Most of it in New Hampshire riding from Mass up to the white mountains and hitting all the best roads there and home again. It was a 16 hour day and about 12 hours of that was riding. If I had spent that time on the highway I could of done a lot more miles, but it wouldnt have been nearly as much fun.

Back