• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Loading up the NC for Burning Man, need advice from you Adverure Tourers

dandadude102

Reaction score
Visit site
So I got a ticket to Burning Man and I want to take my NC there for the full hipster experience. I could use some advice on loading it up, as Ive mostly just used the bike for commuting till now.
Here's my questions:

Best way to distribute load? Minimum I will be carrying a small tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, and a few changes of shirts, socks and underwear. Problem is if I don't find someone to provide food and water I will have to haul that in too. I have Honda oem side bags, and the top rack, but no top luggage. Whats the best way to fasten things to the top rack where the container usually mounts too?

Best way to maintain the bike? It will be very dusty, and the bike will not be in use from the time I get there till the time I leave. Whats the best way to protect the bike from the desert?

For the bike riding in a sand zone, I highly recomment K&N rechargable air filter.

For camping gear, I recommend a 80 liter waterproof bag. Secure the bag to your rear seat and/or rack. Make sure the rings on the bag are large enough to accept Rok tie down straps. Do not use bungee cords, unless you enjoy the pain of being hit in the eyes.

Last edited:
Heavy stuff low and forward if possible. Ex....I store my tool roll in the frunk. My small tent will fit in the panniers, so it goes there instead of on top. Take tech fabric undies/socks so they can be washed easily and dry out. Wear one, ones, drying, one's ready for the next change. Take some kind of camp chair. Take a tarp and poles for shade. (cheap ones at wally world) Water proof duffles are great. Lots of fairly inexpensive ones out there. I think I got one from Cabelas.

Don't count on the hard cases to keep items dry. Use zip lock bags.

There is a great thread on the ADV forum. More than you'll ever want to know.

let's see a picture of your camping setup and how it all fits on your bike... please | Page 490 | Adventure Rider

A friend of mine goes every year. Based on the pictures he's posted, expect strong wind and dust storms.
I'd say bring long tent pegs designed for sand and snow, and be prepared to guy out your tent well.

As for loading the bike, I think the previous advice is accurate.

For the bike riding in a sand zone, I highly recomment K&N rechargable air filter.
Not to start a K&N thread, but suffice it to say that K&N filters have demonstrably lower filtering efficiency than paper and they would probably be my last choice for a known extremely fine dust environment. But do plan on replacing the air filter after the event (personally I would suggest OEM.)

As said previously low and forward on the heavy stuff which means over or forward of the rear axle. I would put water on the passenger seat as it is the heaviest thing you will be carrying. I'd put light but bulky stuff like sleeping bag and pad and tent in a dry bag, can get from WalMart, and use a cargo net and straps to put it on the rear rack. That should leave you plenty of room in the side bags for cloths and food.
The NC does fine with a passenger so it can handle luggage very well.

So I got a ticket to Burning Man and I want to take my NC there for the full hipster experience.
Ah, sorry to break the news to you but......

Arriving on a stock, non-mutant NC700x will most likely eliminate any chances of you having a hipster experience. I suggest you rent/beg/borrow or steal either a BMW R nine T or a if you have the time, convert a Honda NM-4 into a Department of Mutant Vehicles approved rolling piece of hipster art. I see one in matt grey with US Airforce markings and dragging little stuffed, pink bunnies behind it as a hipster homerun ;-)

There is always the club racing look of the Triumph Thruxton R that might also work. Just make sure to get one with a brown saddle, hipsters love those brown saddles!

Good luck and have fun !!

As far as your questions? Pack normal, camp normal and maintain normal...you aren't going on an around the world adventure ;-)

Last edited:
Moisture wicking clothes.. as stated before by someone is a must! BIG ziplock bag with either laundry detergent or you can probably get away with using shampoo to wash them out.. desert will dry them very fast for you, no matter where you lay them out. you probably only need one change of clothes using this method. You can have the water and washing soap already loaded and ready in the big zip lock. I think Target sell XXL zip lock bags.. at least they have them online and you can pick them up at the store once you order them.
I normally take a large mesh bag to strap on the bike for drying clothes as I ride.. but no need in the desert... with moisture wicking clothes they will dry very fast wherever you put them. Yes the do have moisture wicking underwear.... and they have socks that will dry fast.

Looks like you have everything you need: Something to wear, something to eat and drink, and somewhere to lay your head. Throw it all on the bike and go. You already have more storage than you need for this. If it doesn't fit, you have too much stuff. You're over planning. Stop worrying and go have a good time.

Moisture wicking clothes.. as stated before by someone is a must!
Not so sure about that at all....

Since the humidity levels are so low (24% on average in August) and the temps relatively mild (95 deg F) moisture wicking clothing isn't necessary. Add in the typical desert high winds and I can see someone in a cotton shirt being very comfortable.

Summer desert climate is much different than say North Carolina or Florida summer climate where yes, wicking clothing is mandatory. I lived 7 years on the Gulf coast of Florida and about 6 years in the desert southwest in Arizona and I will take 95 degrees in the desert all day long without any need for moisture wicking undergarments.

It is all about the humidity.

Long sleeved cotton shirt (white) would be perfect for the summer desert climate..no need at all for wicking garments which pull perspiration from your body too fast for you to experience any cooling effect.

Now, if you were doing some strenuous activity like mountain climbing, running, hiking, etc and producing a LOT of sweat (and drinking a half-gallon of water every 40 mins) wicking clothing might be necessary. Wandering around Burning Man with a beer? Not so much ;-)

Seems legit. I found someone who can haul in water for me, so that helps a lot. Any suggestions on food? What's easy to prepare that doesn't take up much space?

Seems legit. I found someone who can haul in water for me, so that helps a lot. Any suggestions on food? What's easy to prepare that doesn't take up much space?
Small single serving pop-top cans of beanie wienees (you can eat them at room temp if no stove), lots of Lil Debbie fruit pies (Apple and berry), energy/granola bars, if you have access to hot water then Ramyun packs and for in your travel mug, tea bags or instant coffee (single 3 in 1 packs are best). A big loaf of French bread cut down to meal size portions. Don't forget a small box of assorted plastic utensils. Keep everything in zip lock baggies, they can also be your garbage bags on the way out. Remember, if you have munchies, they will come.

Ray

Mountain house food packs in Wal-Mart camping section have some good foods. It just comes down to your taste. I also eat the various pies when on the road. (Breakfest of champions)

Back