• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lifting off tires for winter hibernation

nemesis98

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

It's about that time - time to winterize the NC. Weather is getting too unpredictable to keep her on the road any longer. 60 dgress today, 30's this weekend, darker earlier - you get the idea.

So talking with a fellow rider at work, he says he puts his Harley up on a stand over the winter so the wheels are off the ground to prevent flat spots.

I don't have a stand, so I'm looking for the next best (cheap/DIY) version.

Anyone have a good way to support the bike off both wheels? (pics would be fantastic!)

Thanks!

Go out one day a week and move the bike a couple of feet. Less $$$ and you are what, going to hibernate the bike 90 days (maybe 120)-tires really are not going to flat spot in that short period of time. Today's tires are not the same as they were 40 years ago.

If you're winterizing your bike for less than 3 months. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Move it around a little bit and you should be good to go.

I agree with the previous posters in that it's not a big deal and if you're really worried then move the bike every once in a while. I think Harley's need to be lifted if they sit too long to prevent the oil they leak from puddling around the tires.;)

I don't put the car up on jacks for the summer, so I can't imagine putting the bike up for the winter...
Car weighs a lot more per tire.

If you are worried about it, you could always park on some carpet scraps (padded is better to cradle the tire a bit more)
Make sure the tires stay inflated over the winter.

Or just rotate the tires every few weeks in the winter..

of course I do wish I had the vaulted garage ceiling where I could just lift the bike up and get it out of the way in the winter... (keep the snow blower up there in the summer) But until then...

I don't put the car up on jacks for the summer, so I can't imagine putting the bike up for the winter...
Car weighs a lot more per tire.

If you are worried about it, you could always park on some carpet scraps (padded is better to cradle the tire a bit more)
Make sure the tires stay inflated over the winter.

Or just rotate the tires every few weeks in the winter..

of course I do wish I had the vaulted garage ceiling where I could just lift the bike up and get it out of the way in the winter... (keep the snow blower up there in the summer) But until then...

Car tires are square.
Bike tires are not.
:p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others have said, if you're really worried about it just periodically move the bike forward or back about 6 inches or more.
Having said that, I doubt that the tires would flat spot even if you didn't move the bike at all and even if they did a good 20 minute or so ride down the freeway when you take it back out of storage should round them back out. :)

Bob

I think some vehicles get lifted, if not in use for a ling period of time, in case there is air loss from the tires over time and to prevent them from sitting on the rims etc. But if you are keeping an eye on it I wouldn't worry. I have noticed about a 10 psi pressure loss from both my NC tires over about a month period, I should check pressure more often. So I would say on the inflated tires is fine as long as they are not loosing air. Just a thought.

Back