• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

LED Accent Lights

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Due to my work schedule, a lot of my miles are done in the dark. I found a bunch of cheap flexible LED accent light strips at Autozone on sale. I mounted 2x 8" strips under the tail, 2x 24" strips over the engine, 1x 8" strip under the beak, and 1x 8" strip in the Frunk as a courtesy light. I wired them all in to a switchable, shielded bus bar (also from Autozone). The bus bar is wired into the Honda Accessory relay location. Each slot in the bus bar (6 total) has its own on/off switch, so I can turn each pair of lights on/off as desired. Here are some pics. LEDs look weird to my camera phone, but in real life the bike has a significantly more noticeable side profile in the dark.

20131201_044907.jpg

This is the bus bar. You can also see the LED strip to the right. The bar is not waterproof, so I didn't want to mount it outside of the frunk. All the terminals are screw-lock, so the wires can be removed and reinstalled easily. I can also double-up the light circuits later if I need the bar space.

20131201_044848.jpg

Frunk Light on.

20131201_050309.jpg

Standard lighting

20131201_050332.jpg

With all accent lighting turned on.

20131201_052801.jpg

Beak Light

20131201_052808.jpg

Engine Light

20131201_052823.jpg

Tail Light

20131201_083603.jpg

While I was at it, I also disassembled the bottom cover and spray painted the middle gray part with "Aluminum" colored engine paint. The gray looked weird to me. It didn't match anything, and I have the 2012 Silver. Has anyone else just painted the whole thing black? If so, please reply with pics. I'm curious to see what that looks like.

Attachments

• 20131201_052741.jpg
    20131201_052741.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 484
That looks wicked cool! :)

Can you take a pic of the switch layout you have for them? You mentioned different switches for each light setup and I would love to see how you did that.

EDIT - never mind, I think I figured it out - the switches are on the bus bar? Push button ones? Is that right?

Thanks!~

Last edited:
That looks wicked cool! :)

Can you take a pic of the switch layout you have for them? You mentioned different switches for each light setup and I would love to see how you did that.

EDIT - never mind, I think I figured it out - the switches are on the bus bar? Push button ones? Is that right?

Thanks!~

Yes, the push buttons on the bus bar are the switches. They feel kind of cheesy, but they should be good enough for the few milliamps that the LEDs use.

Painted mine with flat black Krylon (the paint that bonds to plastic). It is permenent and won't peal off like plastidip will. The pealing can be a good thing or a bad thing depending how you look at it

Honda certainly didn't spend any extra money on making this engine look nice. The LEDs don't really have much to show off. When these are installed on a Harley or Victory, at least they have some chrome and hardware to reflect on. Here, you basically just have the associated hoses, tubes, and wire bundles. Like I said, I did this for conspicuity at night, not to impress the ladies with my many sensors and emissions vacuum tubes. :D

My only question is the legality of this while riding. At least as it comes to my state, I like the idea, and sticking to white lights should be good, but idk what the coppers would say.

My only question is the legality of this while riding. At least as it comes to my state, I like the idea, and sticking to white lights should be good, but idk what the coppers would say.

That thought had crossed my mind. I agree that the white should be the least risky color for law enforcement. Red, Blue, or Yellow, they might have more of a valid point of confusion with emergency services. Since the lights are on their own switches, I would hope that even if I do get pulled over, the officer would just let me turn them all off on the spot and "promise" to remove them when I get home.

As a cop it white light can't show from any angle except the front of a vehicle. A broken tail light lens emitting white light to the rear is illegal here. This is only for IN check your local laws.

Back