• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lane Sharing Promoted by Wired Magazine

I guess majority of people's negative thoughts come from a fact they think lane splitting is supposed to be done regardless of speed.
In reality, this right only works in slow-moving or jammed up traffic, not at any given speed - at least from my experience in any country it is legal.
Also, in Poland, some cities started to allow bikes to drive on bus lanes, as an alternative for traffic filtering, so that's nice. I'm not sure it would work in US as I don't know how situation looks like in city centers, especially that I think (correct me if I'm wrong!) public communication is not as popular as in Europe?

Some of the comments under the article are unbelievable.
I commute on a moped daily and truth be told, cars don't even have to move aside to make space for me - all they need to do is keep their car in the center of their lane and I can pass them just fine. It's amazing how even such a trivial, simple task is beyond some people's attention span. I haven't encountered any driver deliberately cutting me off, those that obstructed my way were simply clueless but I don't get angry with them - I just stop and wait until traffic moves, freeing up some space, and sometimes they notice me in the mirror and move aside a little, which I thank them for when passing. And that's really all it takes - a pint of understanding and empathy and we can share the road just fine.

But some people just won't get off their high horse...

But some people just won't get off their high horse...

A high horse is the safest way lane split...

People feel worse about the idea of killing a majestic horse than killing another human being, and the height gives you improved visibility on the road.
Not to mention the top sustained speed of a horse isn't likely to exceed safe lane splitting speeds.

I don't need watch youtube, been commuting in US for many years and I have seen with my eyes some really scary stuff on roads.

No, IMHO you *do* need to watch YouTube, in order to see that the condition exists elsewhere in the world outside of the USA. You will see many videos of people being every bit as bad even in places like Sweden and Canada, as the US. I don't think it happens quite so much in sheer number of instances due to much smaller populations, but I bet some number crunchers could come up with statistics showing almost as many incidents per capita.

All I am saying, is it's not only my southern friends that have a lock on behaving badly. ;)

I am neutral for lane splitting. If it was legal, would I use it, probably not-rather be safer than deader (is that a word-probably not). On my Natchez trip last weekend, on the way home I hit I-40 from Memphis to Nashville (Tennessee that is). At Nashville, I-40 was shutdown due to a death accident. All lanes were stopped-took me 2 hours to go 1 mile to the nearest exit. I-40 at that location is 3 lanes with 2 emergency lanes (one on each side). All 5 lanes were filled with stop and go traffic. The left side (fast lane) emergency lane was moving and a motorcycle passed me using the lane (even though it is illegal). Right after he passed me, I saw a pickup truck try to force the motorcycle into the concrete wall-pickup truck driver was an A$$ but the motorcycle made it pass the pickup truck. It is a$$hats like these which would keep me from lane splitting. Cagers have no respect for motorcyclists.

Over here in Belgium its legal, and I always use it..! primarily for my security (as the article shows), being faster is a bonus. The way you filter is a whole different story... I always ride thinking that I'm wearing Harry Potters Invisibility cloak! but that's not only while filtering :)

No, IMHO you *do* need to watch YouTube, in order to see that the condition exists elsewhere in the world outside of the USA.

but you do realize on youtube you see compilation from many years?
Sure sh$t happens everywhere but I have never witness so many aggression on street in Europe as in US. (Russia it's in not in Europe and it is kinda Wild East...)
Lane splitting or filtering US southern states??? where everybody has gun in a car??? no thanks.

p.s.
Russia is kinda Wild

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because lane splitting could be legalized, does not mean you have to do it. I grew up in California, and I saw plenty of riders that did not split. I am all for being able to filter through stopped or really slow traffic.

Just because lane splitting could be legalized, does not mean you have to do it. I grew up in California, and I saw plenty of riders that did not split. I am all for being able to filter through stopped or really slow traffic.

This exactly. Having the (legal) option to protect yourself by filtering would be a very very nice thing indeed.

Just because lane splitting could be legalized, does not mean you have to do it.

This is a big point. Every legislative session here in TX this comes up, and I read tons of comments to the effect of, "I'm against it because I'd never do it, it's too dangerous."

Ok, fine but... you don't have to split just because the law allows it. Pass the law and let those who think it's worth the risk do so. I don't see myself splitting lanes in moving traffic, but the option of filtering to the front of stopped traffic would be a huge plus.

trey

This is a big point. Every legislative session here in TX this comes up, and I read tons of comments to the effect of, "I'm against it because I'd never do it, it's too dangerous."

Ok, fine but... you don't have to split just because the law allows it. Pass the law and let those who think it's worth the risk do so. I don't see myself splitting lanes in moving traffic, but the option of filtering to the front of stopped traffic would be a huge plus.

trey

but this is not the matter of bikers only, it does affect other road participants. Especially car drivers which have problem already with estimation of bikes speed and location.
It is not only risky for motorcyclists.

I live in Vermont and I've never felt the need to lane split here, there just isn't enough traffic. I should post a video of what the rush hour ordeal is like in my town, the absolutely awful 5 minutes it takes to get from one side of town to the other, everybody here complains about it. I have taken motorcycle trips to New York City to visit family and sitting on a motorcycle in bumper-to-bumper traffic in 90 degree heat is no fun. In those situations I really wanted to get moving even if it was only 5 MPH.

Back