• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Just picked up my first street bike!

buckshot

Reaction score
Visit site
Just rode a 2012 NC700SAC home from the local dealer today, and I'm pretty pumped to be part of the street bike crowd now. Been riding dirt bikes since I was a kid, and figured now is the time to get on a street bike. That, and save a little on gas vs driving my old ford powerstroke too and from work every day....which is part of the reason I chose the NC over some of the CB500's the dealer had lying around. That, and the faux fuel tank storage area. Brilliant idea.

Right now the only question I have about the bike is regarding the air filter, the dealer never touched on it/I forgot to ask, and the owners manual says to stay away. Is it garage mechanic accessible, and is it worth upgrading to something else? Not looking to try and turn the bike into a powerhouse (and I know a K&N won't add huge power), but I would like to hear the engine a little more.

Lookin forward to an awesome summer

Nick

Buckshot, welcome!
The NC is my first street bike also, but I do ride offroad quite often.
I put on a LeoVince Carbon exhaust and it helped some ( more that now I can hear the bike).
I have not messed with the air filter to open it up........ So I am no help for your question but
Also wonder how much it might help.

Welcome. The best advice for air the filter is to stick with OE. However the difference between an OE air filter and a good aftermarket one isn't likely to trash the engine, increase power or spoil fuel consumption. There's lots of proof that K&N do not filter as much as the OE but I've never seen any proof that the lack of filtration has direct & serious consequences on engine life - it most likely does but it'd take some very expensive testing to measure it. It probably leads to wearing out maybe 20,000 km earlier - like at 180,000 instead of 200,000.

Thanks for the welcome guys! Took her out on her first real ride today, 230km round trip to surprise my girlfriend with the bike. I think the camaraderie between bikers is very cool, little waves when you pass each other and stuff.

I'm also having a hard time believing the fuel mileage this gets, 230km on less than half a tank! Unreal.

Back