• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is it possible to DIY fix the DCT if it breaks or needs repair?

Robert

Reaction score
Visit site
I was only wondering because a mechanic I know told me that if the DCT breaks or needs repair you could as well swing for another bike ($$$$) is that true?

Has anyone here fixed theirs?

Robert

I was only wondering because a mechanic I know told me that if the DCT breaks or needs repair you could as well swing for another bike ($$$$) is that true?

Has anyone here fixed theirs?

Robert
That's ridiculous - I'd find another mechanic. Can most people DIY a transmission, split the cases and sort it out?

The DCT utilizes 95% of the manual transmission and the same applies.

I was only wondering because a mechanic I know told me that if the DCT breaks or needs repair you could as well swing for another bike ($$$$) is that true?...

What I understand, you are afraid of something you don't know much about - witch is normal reaction.
If you think about possibility of breaking, I'm sure that manual transmission is easier to break than DCT. One example, DCT computer (PCM) wouldn't allow rider to reduce gears too low.
As of regular parts replacement such as clutch assemble, with service manual it shouldn't be too difficult, even for your mechanic.

There is no part of this bike that can't be fixed by a home mechanic, given they have the tools, the manual, and the skill. The DCT is not terribly complicated. How to service the DCT is detailed right in the Honda service manual.

You sound apprehensive about acquiring a machine with technology unfamiliar to you. Don't worry about it. Anything broken can be fixed. This mechanic must not understand the DCT in order to have made a statement like that. Find a new mechanic.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the awesome replies.

So I have learned

#1 I don't have to be afraid of the DCT.

#2 I can do everything :) This is why I love this forum :) I'm just about to buy a huge motorcycle tool box with 90% of all the tool you need for repair on an MC so I should just be exited. But first I do need to sell my scooter and buy the NC, but that is only a couple of steps away :)

cheers,

Robert

The fear of the DCT is probably not unlike what people felt when buying their first car with an automatic transmission in the late-40s and early-50s and those were totally different than the manual trans of the day. As dduelin said, the internals of the DCT are pretty similar if not identical to a manual trans model. The sensors and servos are mostly on the outside of the case where they can be accessed easily.

Time marches on! :)

Last edited:
The fear of the DCT is probably not unlike what people felt when buying their first car with an automatic transmission in the late-40s and early-50s and those were totally different than the manual trans of the day. As dduelin said, the internals of the DCT are pretty similar if not identical to a manual trans model. The sensors and servos are mostly on the outside of the case where they can be accessed easily.

Time marches on! :)

Yup, now new owners are much more likely to fear old tech like carburetors than they are EFI, while a lot of oldsters still can't shake the mistrust of new fangled EFI, lol.

Yup, now new owners are much more likely to fear old tech like carburetors than they are EFI, while a lot of oldsters still can't shake the mistrust of new fangled EFI, lol.
RTW Doug who travels the world on MCs states; "I can fix a carburetor with a rock but if I hit a fuel injector with a rock it will break."

What TigerDude said is likely the original basis for the mechanic's statement. It's still foolish, as it implies throwing entire new parts assemblies at a broken item, rather than disassembly, repair, and reassembly.

Still and all, the computer controls might be thought of as 'unfixable,' insofar as the logic board would have to be replaced if physically broken. If it simply needed re-programming (very highly unlikely, IMO), I don't know whether a home mechanic can do that or not. Are Honda motorcycle PCMs 'encrypted' similar to how the car & pickup ones are?

I still wouldn't worry about it. Honda has had the DCT on the market for some years now, and it has proven very reliable, to the best of my knowledge.

Well, we're gonna find out. I have a malfunctioning
DCT, and the service manual is just making it worse.

What I know so far: Honda doesn't define their acronyms very well. (Haven't found MIL yet, tho I think it's Maintenance Info Light, and it's the little engine icon.) The battery is not the problem. Starting a new thread.

MIL "Malfunction Indicator Light"
There, that's not that hard.
As far as mechanics at service establishments,
if you find one that you trust, your life is so much better/happier.
If not, put on your DIY hat and dig in. :)

Finally found all the acronyms on page 1-2. Trouble shooting the DCT, access the DTC via the DLC. Read the code at the MIL. Does that help? :D

The good old TLA lives on!

(Three Letter Acronym).

Back