• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is it magic?

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
Whilst riding on the motorway yesterday my fuel light started to flash the red bar this continued for around 5 miles but the returned to showing two solid bars. It was around another 7 or 8 miles before it returned to the flashing bar. Did I magically gain a bit extra fuel from somewhere? :)

I have had this happen as well. It happened in my drive way (sloped upwards) and on the interstate while going up a bridge. Guessing the fuel sender is towards the rear of the tank. Or at least gets more fuel when the bike is on an upward climb.

Hard to say without knowing what type of sensor we have in the fuel tank. If its a float type, the mechanism might have moved up enough under acceleration to go back to two bars, then hung up very slightly until the fuel level decreased enough to overcome the resistance to float travel. Seven or eight miles on the NC only consumes about a tenth of a gallon. Of course if Honda uses a wet/dry sensor, everything I just wrote is wrong and I don't have a clue as to what could cause it.

Bob

Whilst riding on the motorway yesterday my fuel light started to flash the red bar this continued for around 5 miles but the returned to showing two solid bars. It was around another 7 or 8 miles before it returned to the flashing bar. Did I magically gain a bit extra fuel from somewhere? :)

This is normal for the fuel gauge. The gauge level seems to drop when the fuel moves forward, like when rolling downhill or braking. Some time passes after that event and the fuel indication rises back up. The level seems to be integrated over a long interval so as to keep the gauge from madly flipping back and forth between bars.

When mine reaches the point of dropping a bar, it may flip back and forth a time or two over a 5 mile distance before settling on the new bar level.

Greg

Mine does the same thing. I'm not sure exactly how far I can go with a tank on average (only 315 on the ODO) But I went 189 miles then filled up with 2.7XX gallons when the bar was flashing. I plan on not worrying about fuel until I hit 200 miles, then start looking. Over time I will get a since of how far I can go before refueling is necessary. I remember reading that .77 gallons remain when the low fuel light pops. So I guess its working, but with a 64 MPG rating, I can go another 50 miles before needing fuel. I think 200 is a nice round number to start searching for a gas station. And a safety net of 20 miles, so max range for me would be 230 miles.

I think the tank sensor is very sensitive. I'll put it on the center stand, and level the bike, just to check the fuel level.

I know this problem well, it's chronic and I mentioned it to the dealership when my chain was replaced. I was told that they'll schedule the repair when things slow down (four-wheeler/hunting season), but in the meantime my bike consistantly goes from two bars to flashing red each time enough gas has been depleted. I've got about 4000 miles on the bike and this popped up at around 3000 miles. Otherwise, nothing but happiness... and that chain thing.

I saw this the first time yesterday as I was pulling up to a light on the down hill side of a bridge, went from 3 bars to a flashing bar as I stoped, then back to 2 bars as I took off, figured I must have been on the verge of a loss of a bar, so I stopped and filled up.

Back