• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Iron Butt Assoc. Member 57121

Strat, I can't remember? Do you have handguards? Since this mounts to the handlebars I'm wondering if having handgaurds will present a problem. I don't know the length of the arm but I'm guessing this has to mount in a specific spot in order to reach the grip. This may mean you'll need to push the mounts for the handgaurds inward to accomidate this mount.

I may just be making things up in my mind but it is something to think about. Again, if you don't have handguards its not an issue. And if your handguard mounts are not close to the lever mount it is not an issue either.

Does this make sense?

Kaoko makes a control that fits on the bar end and works with Handguards. I bought the non handguard model and it worked ok but had to take it off and buy the new model that works with the handguards. Takes some time to get use to setting and unsetting quickly but works great. I've added a palm rest to my grip and I haven't used the throttle lock much. I still would like to find an electronic version as any friction lock, you need to keep adjusting it as you go up and down minor hills. I got spoiled with my GoldWing's electronic cruise control that stays rock on no matter what conditions occur (hills, curves, etc.), guess that takes away from the adventure nature of the NC700X so will just live with the Kaoko. Hope that helps.

Strat, I can't remember? Do you have handguards? Since this mounts to the handlebars I'm wondering if having handgaurds will present a problem. I don't know the length of the arm but I'm guessing this has to mount in a specific spot in order to reach the grip. This may mean you'll need to push the mounts for the handgaurds inward to accomidate this mount.

I may just be making things up in my mind but it is something to think about. Again, if you don't have handguards its not an issue. And if your handguard mounts are not close to the lever mount it is not an issue either.

Does this make sense?

It does make sense, yes, and I'm concerned about moving things around. Pushing the handguards inward will make them less effective, so I'd like to leave them where they are. It may turn out that the only way to get this to work is to connect the throttle control arm to the handguards.

The throttle control is (essentially) two round clamps with a connecting bar between them. the outer "clamp" holds the throttle in place while the inner "clamp" is fixed in place. The inner clamp keeps the outer from moving when the rider applies the thumb lock. Thus, it doesn't really matter what the arm is connected to on the "inner" side as long as it's fixed and strong. It's a simple, elegant, design. I may end up piggy-backing a section of the throttle control's inner clamp to the outside of the handguard clamp.

If there is no room on the handlebar for the inner clamp, then I plan to attach the connecting arm to the handguards with screws.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the throttle control.
kuryakyn01.jpg
the inner clamp that alays stays clamped looks like it comes apart in half. That's a good thing since it lends itself to piggybacking on to something else.

The connecting bar and the thumb switch may be difficult. The thumb switch that clamps and unclamps the trottle will have to be in range of the thumb, obviously, but how will it fit with that big old square brake fluid reservoir..... hmmm....
Here's a pic of my grip...
ncgrip01.jpg
The left most clamp hold the handguards on. Doesn't look like the brake fluid reservoir will be as much a problem as I thought. The kill-switch mount looks like it might get in the way....
I'd like the throttle clamp to go just left of the handguard clamp, but will the thumb mechanism still reach the throttle?
We will find out this week.

PS. For those who might wonder, I've wrapped both grips in bicycle bar tape, just as I would on my road bike. It makes the throttle grip bigger and fits my hand better... and it feels more like my road bike... I like the continuity.

Last edited:
That was my concern. The brake fluid reservoir could possible slide over to give you room for the throttle lock clamp but it may push the hand guard over to far where it hits the angled part of the handlebars.

You could try to clamp your throttle lock body to the body of the hand gauds but you may end up with your thumb lock being to low. Maybe not though?

Curious to see what you come up with.

the throttle control came, and I couldn't make it work. It's a good item, and I expect it would work just fine on an NC that doesn't have hand guards and bar tape on the throttle.

NC700X  90% 015.jpgI use a Vista Cruise on all my bikes, cheap, work great, little fudging to install but no big problem,I used heavy zip-ties. Have used them for years with zero problems. Ride safe.

Strat, I had one like that on my NC. Could have been me, but it didn't seem to work well. The bar that goes from the throttle to the bar got in the way of my starter button. It worked, but not like I wanted. The adjustment on it required a wrench to make minor fixes. I bought the Omni Cruise and really like it. Can change the tension while going down the road. works really good.

Hey Strat, you are welcome to take my Go-Cruise throttle lock for a spin. Much simpler, no mod to the bike. Let me know if you want to test it out.

And since this started as an Ironbutt thread... I was over a year late submitting it, but I finally did send in my SS1000 and BB1500 documentation from my ride in September of 2012 to pick up my NC700X from the dealer in Oklahoma and ride it back to California. I was afraid I'd waited too long, but I just got my certificates in the mail yesterday.

That was my concern. The brake fluid reservoir could possible slide over to give you room for the throttle lock clamp but it may push the hand guard over to far where it hits the angled part of the handlebars.

You could try to clamp your throttle lock body to the body of the hand gauds but you may end up with your thumb lock being to low. Maybe not though?

Curious to see what you come up with.

I have the same bits and this is how I got it to work. I had to go over the top with the cycle gear hand guards to get it to work and drilled out the bolt holes on the throttle lock. I used the hand guard bolts.

nc700trottlelock1_zpsdc73a5f3.jpg

One clamp, simple to operate, I like the lever under the grip, out of the way, most people do not even notice it, easy to apply with thumb. Small, light and simple.

Wow... I attached the throttle control as you did, and wow... that worked really well. It was clean and strong.

Now getting the throttle clamp to actually hold the throttle in place didn't work very well at all.
No matter what I did, the throttle lock would slip.
I'd set it for 3K, engage the lock, and then watch it creep back down ..... sigh...

Lest you think I was in a hurry, I spent about three hours adjusting it.... including adding and removing different sized rubber shims to get the grip just right... it still slipped.

I've removed it all, and it's all back the way it was. Some things just aren't meant to be...!

Well done! Welcome to the IBA. I acquired IBA# 35034 in 2008 on my Honda Silver Wing scooter riding the Minute Man 1000 in New England. It only took me 23 hours and 38 minutes. Long story.

Back