• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ipod Nano

Billy Budd

Reaction score
Visit site
I listen to music when I ride, I dropped my Ipod classic and broke it. Any of you use the Ipod Nano 7th generation? I think I need a new one. Thanks.

If you're just using it to play music, I wouldn't bother paying the premium for the Apple logo...

Get your hands on a Sandisk Sansa (Portable Music and Video Players by SanDisk) or similar. You can usually get them on eBay or Amazon for ~$20. Think I bought my first gen Sansa as a refurb on eBay for $15 and it's worked flawlessly for 4 or 5 years now. Expandable/exchangeable memory is really handy.

trey

I was using my phone for a long time but was afraid that I might drop it out of an unsecured pocket. So I bought my first I-anything...I got one of the new shuffles. It's been perfect for riding because its tiny, fits in any pocket and holds a bunch of music (I even got library loan audio books on it), the thing is all metal and looks to be tough as and old mule. I still don't think I'll ever be one of the crazed I-people, Apple stuff is too expensive for what it is, and if it had not been for only being able to get Library loans on Apple's stuff, I would have probably got a cheap MP3 player (or 3 for the same price as the shuffle) just so if I killed one it would be cheap to replace. I never use the I tunes store, I buy Cd's or old vinyl , copy it to my players and store the originals. that way if anything happens to my player/computer/phone or whatever I can always re-burn a copy, its just the old D.J. side of me that always wants to have the hard copy just in case.

If you're just using it to play music, I wouldn't bother paying the premium for the Apple logo...

Get your hands on a Sandisk Sansa (Portable Music and Video Players by SanDisk) or similar. You can usually get them on eBay or Amazon for ~$20. Think I bought my first gen Sansa as a refurb on eBay for $15 and it's worked flawlessly for 4 or 5 years now. Expandable/exchangeable memory is really handy.

trey
+1 I have an even older version of a Sandisk Sansa C250 MP3/FM Radio player. I've had it for years. It's small. Has expandable memory. I use the FM radio on the commute for traffic reports. It takes a beating and still keeps running. I think the new price was about $30 years ago. If it dies, I'll buy another.

Chris

I agree about the SanDisk products. I have one and it's great! It'll even play videos, though I'd go blind trying to look at the tiny screen. :)

I like the SanDisk products because I use Ogg and FLAC (open source) file formats for most of my music, and Apple and Microsoft go out of their way to assure that their products _don't_ support those formats.

They're also cost-effective, expandable, and have been very reliable for me.

+1 on the Sansa. Had one for years. Inexpensive, expandable, tough and I don’t have to use ITunes.
One consideration is the format of your music library. If you purchase music through ITunes Apple uses a proprietary format natively so you may have to convert the music files to mp3. You can do this within ITunes but it is an extra step that surprises people.

I'm gunna be the black sheep and say go for the apple product =). Yes, you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.. but I would do it for the same reason I'm going to get a CF rear hugger instead of plastic, they both do the same job, weight difference is negligible (especially on the NC) but damn is it SEXY! =D

It is old technology now but a 3rd gen Shuffle in a Tapstick cover has served me well for many thousands of riding miles. The first thing I did for the NC was fashion a handlebar clip for the Shuffle. The Tapstick converts the Shuffle to push buttons I can operate while riding with gloved hands and makes it virtually waterproof. I have maybe 50,000 miles on it so I think it was money well spent ($110 when new?)

I dropped it once while riding about 60 mph. I was trying to slip it into a pocket before riding into a heavy rainstorm and it got away from me. Luckily it came to rest on the paved shoulder of the road and I was able to find it when I turned around. Scratched the corners a little otherwise no damage.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Sansa Clip also, but since I got the Sena Bluetooth headset for my helmet I've been using either a iPhone or iPod touch. Having the speakers installed in the helmet is really convenient, and not having to hassle with wiring is also a plus. One benefit of the new Nano is that it has Bluetooth built in so it can be used with Bluetooth helmet/intercom systems.

Bob

I used to ride with helmet speakers but found I had to turn them up so loud to overcome wind noise they distort and lose fidelity. I switched to wearing silicone in-ear speakers that attentuate wind noise and preserve music fidelity - but the wires can be a hassle at times.

I listen to music when I ride, I dropped my Ipod classic and broke it. Any of you use the Ipod Nano 7th generation? I think I need a new one. Thanks.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but are any of these glove friendly? I have a Nano and listen to the radio most.

I hate taking my glove off to change channels when a wrap song plays. Especially when it 20 degrees out.

The Sansa is pretty good. It has actual push-able buttons and a wheel/ring for volume & scrolling. ...at least that's how mine works...

Back