• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Installing Heated OEM handgrips, Request for HELP

Lord la la

Reaction score
My Heart is in Modesto, but my *** is in Pacific P
Visit site
So after several attempts, and getting it partially right at least once I decided to follow the instructions provided by Honda....

Ninety percent done and then I get to the final hook up and there is no way that the connectors between the right heated handgrip and the harness will fit will fit beneath the ignition lock mechanism.

Has anyone successfully installed these SOBs?

If so, where does the connection between the right heated grip and the heated grip harness go?

Is this picture right? The shaded portion is the ignition lock mechanism.

49A34A5E-8B80-4562-AEB5-F033717DF928-788-000001F84D56EEDD_zps91bb326c.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't put the wires *exactly* where the instructions said they should go, it was too tight a fit. I was not liking how stretched they were feeling, and it was too bulky to try and stuff everything in that one little spot, as I recall.

I just made sure no wires were either too slack and could get caught or pinched in anything, or too tight, and likely to be stressed and pulled apart, or connections undone.

Thanks all.

After posting last night I fortified my wits with a rum and coke (or two) and went back into the garage. I put aside my "dainty" gloves and did a little tugging and cussing.

I guess the connectors will fit beneath the ignition lock mechanism, but just barely. It may not have helped that I've swapped out the handlebars with wider and lower KTM handlebars, dropped the suspension by .75 inch and added Rox 2 inch pivoting risers.

SergeantChuck, yes those are the directions I was using. If you get the opportunity to look at your bike's wiring I'd appreciate that as I haven't finally hooked up the connection yet.

Thanks again all!

Here you go. Mine is just hanging free on the outside of the ignition cylinder. I say free but it is routed threw those two wire looms (one on each side of ignition) where your brake and throttle cables are routed. The rest of it is ziptied along its route to the grips.

20140305_122922.jpg

Here you go. Mine is just hanging free on the outside of the ignition cylinder. I say free but it is routed threw those two wire looms (one on each side of ignition) where your brake and throttle cables are routed. The rest of it is ziptied along its route to the grips.

9.jpg

Simple solution - Black Nylon Cable Ties .

Tie wires off to anywhere on the cowling frame, just looks better.

smileyidea.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 12570
That looks like how my dealer ran mine.

Worth noting is that my Honda handgrips failed on the NC700 and the problem was the controller was full of water. The controller is vulnerable and needs to have a smear of silicone on the outside where the wire goes in. Problem solved but it costs money. Put the silicone on when the grips are installed and save yourself the problem later.

I had a failure of the heated handgrip controller caused by water in the unit. Caution, put a dab of silicone on the wire where it enters the controller...maybe even some tape on top of that.

Back