• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Initial impressions from a long time rider....(long with pics)

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Posted a couple of thoughts in the welcome forum, but thought I'd expand on those a little more since I was able to take the bike out for a little longer shakedown ride (my ride home from the dealer was in pouring rain :( ).

I sole my 2009 FZ6 to pick up the NC700X (which joins my Victory CCT and SYM HD200 scooter). Seems like it's a pretty popular bike in the area (Greater Houston) as they seem to be going out the door as quickly as they cab be assembled. This means most dealers aren't willing to deal. Luckily, I have a longstanding relationship with one of the bigger dealer networks in Houston so that enabled me to get what I think is a decent enough deal (at least for my area) of $7600 OTD.

So, what do I think? I think I made a good move. Apart from a couple of visits to the Dragon and Three Sisters, my FZ6 just wasn't being put to good use for that style of bike. Bikes like the FZ6 are built for speed and twisties. Desiring to do a little more solo touring I started to look into making some changes to the FZ to make it more of a touring machine (adding bags, changing the bar). But, my last issue of Cycle World changed that by having a feature article on Honda's newest export.

Anyway, what an interesting ride. Smooth linear power that inspires confidence in even this long time rider. Clutch action is silky smooth (my VIC is notchy as heck by comparison). Riding position is perfect for me (5'7" and I can get the balls of both feet down) and that tiny screen that I though would be useless is anything but. I think the overall design of the plastics really helps with directing the major wind effects away from the rider. Seat comfort, for now, is good. There is a slight forward slope, but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I love the storage "tank". Served me well on my way home from the dealer as it was POURING!! Kept all my papers, camera, phone and other misc. items perfectly dry. The bot, surprisingly, was not as dirty as I had anticipated it would be from riding 20+ miles in the rain.

I've read just about every pro review out there and am surprised that they all expressed some concern about highway speeds (like they expected it not to do well at 80+ mph). funny that you don't see that concern expressed with cruisers as they produce similar HP/Torque figures. Perhaps more is expected from a "sporty" bike. Needless to say, those concerns were always proved to be unfounded. I did a quick stretch at 85mph and the engine seemed quite happy to be doing so. I also must say that the speedo is shockingly close to accurate, which is not the norm for the majority of bikes. Speeds were always within +/- 1 mph throughout the range of speeds using my Garmin Etrex as the control. The mirrors also deserve special mention as they are actually useful. I don't understand why more manufacturers can't get this right. You should see what's behind you, not your shoulders or elbows!! Great job Honda! ;)

That's about it for now. Tuesday I'll get an idea of how it handles in crazy rush hour traffic!!

And here it is:
DSC00361.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

I included this pic as I wondered how it would be propped open and had not really seen much on it:
DSC00356.jpg

tweak89
Welcome to the hood, congratulations on your new ride, thanks for posting pics and offering your thoughts on the NC700. At 80mph, I also felt that the machine had room to grow. Realistically, the roads I've experienced in my neck of the woods are 60mph or less. Speeding ain't my gig, and I really don't need the extra 'horses' I have to feed but am unable to exercise ;-) Have a nice (bike) day.

A quick update: Rode at night for a bit and rode in to work today.

The single headlamp does a great job of illuminating the road. Nice wide dispersal of light ahead of the bike. Gauge face extremely easy to see at night. I do wish the tach numbers were illuminated, but that's really a nitpick.

The drive in to work today, all highway with mixed amounts of traffic was without incident. Zipping through traffic and changing lanes was effortless. Kept it in 4th/5th gears most of the way in as it seems out 6th is a true OD gear. It will still pull, but not quite as well as dropping a gear or two. Speeds were about 70 the whole way in. The drive home will be much different as I will encounter a lot of stop and go. My route home is different than the way in as I take regular freeways on the way in, toll roads on the way home (much faster that way).

Fit my kindle, lunch bag, newspaper, extra visor, tire repair kit and toll tag box neatly in the "tank". So that's already paying dividends (I would split that between a tailbag and backpack on my FZ).

More to come!

Indeed. My experience has been that the throw of the factory headlamp is quite good, actually. And yes, I'm absolutely loving the front storage. If I carry a backpack, I cargo net it on the backseat. I like being free ;-)

Hi Tweak
Welcome to the den (did I already say that?)

What you've got here is a beginning of a brand new "class" of bike.
It is economical.
It packs loads of torque.
It is shiny and new.
It is Made in Japan (first virgin batch).
It is silver.
It looks sharp.
The parts look NOT CHEAP (some idiots on some other forums actually said this, I think they need new glasses)
I've got one.

So those are the so many reasons that you "did it right".
:D

Back