• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Informative article on protective gear CE ratings and what claims to watch out for!

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had noticed some gear said "CE approved" and some said "CE certified."

I assumed certified was better, but apparently approved is.

I've started looking for new riding gear, and was pretty disappointed with the dernier ratings of the current stuff:
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2014_03ADVsuits.pdf

My scooter jacket is 1,000 dernier.

Digging further I found a thread on Adventure rider listing gear which passes the European CE ratings- & there's not much!

CE-approved clothing - master list? | Adventure Rider

In addition to the denier rating, you need to consider the material. Denier is just the thickness of the fibers ... so a 600 denier polyester will have different abrasion resistance than a 600 denier nylon. Saw this posted on another forum (I cannot vouch for its accuracy, but it makes the point of different denier/fabric has different abrasion resistance):

Tear and Abrasion Strength by the numbers
Pounds of force until fabric tears Abrasion cycles on pavement until fabric fails
CottonJeans 4.5 pounds to tear 50 cycles to failure
70 Denier Standard Nylon 4.5 pounds to tear 165 cycles to failure
500 Denier Polyester 8 pounds to tear 180 cycles to failure
200 Denier Standard Nylon 7.5 pounds to tear 275 cycles to failure
500 Denier Cordura 22 pounds to tear 710 cycles to failure
620 Denier Cordura 35 pounds to tear 1200 cycles to failure
NEW Competition Grade Leather 80-110 pounds to tear 1200-1700 cycles to failure
1000 Denier Cordura 110 pounds to tear 1780 cycles to failure
Air Mesh Kevlar 1260 pounds to tear 970 cycles to failure Stretch Kevlar Blend 420lbs pounds to tear 1800 cycles to failure

Back