• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

In Ear Sports Headphone that works with a helmet?

docb91b

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy all,
Does anyone have a recommendation for an in ear sports headphone (the kind that wraps around you ear) that would work in a helmet? My current headphones (iPhone headphones) fall out and I lose my funky music groovy while riding. I bet JonMckay or OCR could make me something ;)

D

The Etymotic Er6i was the best in class for a long run, but they have discontinued them recently. Recently their 'replacement' is called the MC-5. I had a pair that recently gave up the ghost, but they are quality in ear buds that will fit securely and are low profile enough to slide your helmet on without disturbing them. Here's a link...

Etymotic MC-5

I have the Etymotic MC-5 also, great in ear headphones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was at a BMW dualsport rally in Big Bear, CA about two years ago where there was a gentleman from the Pheonix area who was making custom earphones/earplugs for riders. He travels (by bike) to various rallies and sets up to make these things on the spot. He takes a mold of the inside of your ears then makes custom silicone ear plugs with imbedded speakers for use with your MP3 player or phone. I did not purchase them at the time, but having spoken to people at the event who used them I'm wishing I had gotten some.

I was at a BMW dualsport rally in Big Bear, CA about two years ago where there was a gentleman from the Pheonix area who was making custom earphones/earplugs for riders. He travels (by bike) to various rallies and sets up to make these things on the spot. He takes a mold of the inside of your ears then makes custom silicone ear plugs with imbedded speakers for use with your MP3 player or phone. I did not purchase them at the time, but having spoken to people at the event who used them I'm wishing I had gotten some.

Sort of the same thing you can do with these...Fuze Earphones I tried them and the ear-mold stuff worked very well but the actual earbuds they supply are pretty crappy. So then I bought a better set of earbuds and got my own ear-mold goop on Amazon..Ear-Mold Goop and tried that. It worked even better. Plugs stayed in and the sound was great. I just got tired of always having to put them in and take them out so now I just use the helmet speakers but it's a fun little project if anyone is interested.

The Etymotic Er6i was the best in class for a long run

I played around with ear buds for the longest time, including the Er6i, but could never find something that was all-day comfortable in my ear with a helmet on. I finally bit the bullet for a bluetooth helmet speaker set up (Sena SMH10) and couldn't be happier.

The Sena SMH5 is right around $100, which is in the ballpark for nice ear buds... just something to consider -- no wires is nice.

trey

These days I normally just use Sena upgrade speakers with a Sena SMH5 bluetooth headset, but for really good sound and comfort the best I've found are Westone One in ear monitors. I tried the Etymotic monitors but they were far less comfortable to me than the Westones. In ear solutions are kinda like motorcycle seats. Everyone is different and what is comfortable for one person may be torture for someone else. The drawbacks to in ear monitors is that they aren't cheap, and they aren't legal in some states.

Bob

i prefer to keep my ears(and eyes) open when i ride. even on bicycle. my son ignored this advise and got hit by the car yesterday night. he is ok(thanks to many action movies and quick reflexes-he just jumped automatically on the hood).

Last edited:
If your looking for good and cheap I can recommend these:

AeroStitch

They are $19 and reduce the ambient noise like ear plugs. That means A. your hearing is protected from the wind noise and B. you don't have to crank up the volume so loud the music (or Koran verses in you ride a Honda 125) damages your hearing. They can be a PITA until you learn how to put them in so they stay in place when you put your helmet on.

If you go this way do be careful, this is not the time to play your live music at concert hall volume. With a little restraint you can have your music and be safe.

Goose

Back