• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'm curious to know...

At one stage I had five motorcycles. An offroader, a supermoto, an NC, a big tourer and a classic. I now have three because I got fed up of maintaining them all, and one or two were not getting used enough.

One is a Triumph 1200 Explorer. It is a good two up touring bike and every year we do a trip abroad on it and several long trips at home. Since April 2013 it has 45,000kms on it. For me, neither of the other two fulfill that requirement as well as the Triumph. The Africa Twin replaced my NC as an overall runabout. It gets used for everything other than two up touring. Since purchase in May this year it has 9000kms on it. The third bike is an 89 Dominator that is used solely for classic events run by my Veteran and Vintage motorcycle club. It has very low mileage on it at 11,000 miles over 27 years. I rack up about 500 miles per annum on it since purchase in September 2013.

So, they have their uses and indeed are getting used. I may add back on a 250 offroader shortly as I am still interested in that aspect of motorcycling. I may or may not part with the Dominator to fund that.

Let's refine the question -- why limit yourself to have just 2 motorcycles. As previously stated -- different bike for different purposes.
I assume that when your friend asks when are you going to upgrade he is talking about CCs and HP. You could actually upgrade with less CCs and more HP or more CCs and less HP or - or - or ? endless ways to upgrade ! Heck, putting new tires on the NC will give you a upgraded motorcycle. Point is -- enjoy :)

Well I have got half an eye on the Crosstourer (VFR 1200 x in the States) as my potential next bike, but as long as I can't even ride the NC properly yet it is a frivolous fantasy. Oh yeah, and the CB 1100 looks great, but no DCT version. And then there are all the makes apart from Honda, not to start sounding like a heretic. In reality, just as I would like to own several cars, my imagination now runs wild where motorbikes are concerned. Perhaps someone should have warned me about this before I took the plunge. :rolleyes:

There is a weird misconception about a lot of bikers that you must own the fastest bike you can buy. I am 45 and have owned many. At this time I am down to two. I even used to track race in the AHRMA circuit on my Ducati 900SD. While doing this, many with bikes that were faster than mine would pass me on the straightaways, and then i would quietly pass them in the corners. I do not feel the need to race around at top speed. In my opinion, most riders do not even have the skill set needed to use a 1000+ CC bike to it's full potential. These are usually the ones that are telling you to get a bigger bike. If you are happy with your 750 then stick with it. I personally will probably have my 700 until it falls apart many years from now.

Let's refine the question -- why limit yourself to have just 2 motorcycles.

Because you don't want to farkle and maintain more?
Because you get all you want from two and can ride only one at a time anyway?
Because you have some of your garage space serving other needs?
Because you have other interests that also beg for your time and money?

obey4-they-live.jpg

I only have the one NC. My wife was wholly against my getting it. Now that I've had it a few months shes calmed down. After seeing me ride, I asked her about riding with me. She said not until I got a Goldwing. So if I could, I'd keep my NC700x for riding by myself and then I'd get a Goldwing for when I'm taking a long trip with my wife.

I only have the one NC. My wife was wholly against my getting it. Now that I've had it a few months shes calmed down. After seeing me ride, I asked her about riding with me. She said not until I got a Goldwing. So if I could, I'd keep my NC700x for riding by myself and then I'd get a Goldwing for when I'm taking a long trip with my wife.

A Goldwing as a two-up bike, and an NC as a solo bike is an ideal combination. If I ever "had" to fall back to two bikes only, that would be my choice. If I had only one motorcycle, it would be the Goldwing.

Last edited:

No wife on this earth likes the price of our toys.

I have two bikes. For long cruises I ride a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Tourer. For playing and off road I ride a 2014 Honda NC700X. Different strokes for different folks. Love both of the bikes.

I own one at a time. The last one (a Vespa) I kept for 10 years. I do pretty much the same thing with cars (one at a time and keep them a fairly long time). We tend to spend our money on nice vacations. It works for us.

Last edited:

A match made in heaven! Your mate. And a Goldwing and the NC :)

I suspect your Wife would love a Goldwing. We had a GL1800 for ten years from new and my Wife loved the perch on the rear. Perhaps you could get a test ride and put Her on the back. For such a huge bike it is extremely easy to ride once on the move and handles really well even on the twistiest roads. My only issue and the one that eventually forced me to sell it was its static weight and manhandling it in tight spaces etc. Super motorcycle though with a gorgeous motor.

Even if my wife doesn't like it I'm pretty sure my daughter would. She's already been on the back of her grandfather's VFR 1200 (only on private land, never on the street), and once her feet comfortably reach the pegs (she just turned 7) I'll be doing the school run on the NC750. She'll have to wait at least until spring though, no matter how long her legs get this winter.

Two with engines, two without.

My other moto is a drz 400, fairly heavy at 321 pounds for off road, but so much fun.
Precise steering, narrow, can go anywhere.

If I was to get a third it might be a zero or a big touring bike.
I testrode a Street Glide with the new engine and suspension - very nice.

If was buying a second bike to supplement the drz now it it might be the dct VFR 1200, but I am quite happy with the nc.

The NC750 X is a good all-rounder, I have the DCT version, very easy to ride. If you need a bike to pose on, or tank it round the bends on there are better bikes out there for that. The NC is great bike that has unmatchable fuel consumption, you have chosen well!

Back