• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ideas for Headlight Protector?

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As much as I want to replace the NCX's headlight (apologies everybody, but I don't care for the OEM style nor the look I'm afraid) I fear it will probably be quite some time before I either come up with a new twin light design or the money to buy a pre-made fairing/light assembly and try to adapt to suit the bike.

Replacing the quartz halogen bulb with an interior HID projector lamp unit, while awesome and superior light output-wise, still does not address the isue of a rock putting a crack or hole in the NCX's front plastic lens.

Sure, it wouldn't really effect the actual light if the stock plastic lens was damaged, but I don't believe I'm alone in thinking that the average NCX owner wouldn't want to ride around with a big crack or hole in the headlight lens regardless, so would still need to replace a very expensive headlight unit.

The only hint I've stumbled across on the 'net about a headlight protector was here: Honda NC700X - Page 57

(post number 2849 down near the bottom of the page)

I wish more peeps from there would show up here occasionally, they appear to be pretty cool folks who do a lot of neat mods and stuff. :D

Generally I don't care for the lexan/acrylic velcro on shields, and have never liked the plastic film style that you overlay on top of the headlight lens like a decal. I'm an old school fan of the metal grid type looking ones.

The bizarro shape of the 700's headlight makes that a bit of a bugger to try and fab up (for me) one, without looking like complete homemade rubbish. :(

I guess a lot of members here aren't really likely to be too concerned about rocks taking out their headlights, but nevertheless, maybe the generally clever or artsy folks, or others like me who would like a protector of some sort, can put on their thinking caps and proffer up some ideas? :D

Getting thwacked on jacket armour, and hearing that solid *clack* of rock hitting plastic by more than a few bits of gravel this summer on my little trip, put this up a wee bit higher on my "want" list.

Last edited:
It isn't honestly something I considered until right now.

I do recall loving the look of the lamp I had mounted on the top of my truck with a round metal grill in front of it...

Shouldn't be too hard to bend some steel galvanized wire into a decent shape (with a decent wire bending jig... I broke mine recently and haven't replaced it) and have someone weld the pieces together...

Not sure exactly what you'd be able to tie back into around the headlight for mounting points, Maybe up by the windshield there is a place to pull a few bolts through? I don't know what's underneath the headlight off hand... I'm going to have to look closer when I get home.

I guess my next concern would be getting the wire close enough together to actually stop a rock without dispersing the light to much, but if the old spot beams I had on my pickup could do it, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the NC...

It isn't honestly something I considered until right now.

I do recall loving the look of the lamp I had mounted on the top of my truck with a round metal grill in front of it...

Shouldn't be too hard to bend some steel galvanized wire into a decent shape (with a decent wire bending jig... I broke mine recently and haven't replaced it) and have someone weld the pieces together...

Not sure exactly what you'd be able to tie back into around the headlight for mounting points, Maybe up by the windshield there is a place to pull a few bolts through? I don't know what's underneath the headlight off hand... I'm going to have to look closer when I get home.

I guess my next concern would be getting the wire close enough together to actually stop a rock without dispersing the light to much, but if the old spot beams I had on my pickup could do it, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the NC...

Thanks for the reply :)

I haven't decided whether or not following the contours of the lens itself would be an improbably difficult task for me to try and tackle. (I would have to get a propane torch and try to remember how to braze, ugh. I can weld, but in my last move, I gave away my arc welder 'cause I can't do that kind of work where I now live. :()

Another option would be to have a more basic \_/ shape, using a cheap purchased protector, that is bent or formed to fit. That direction leaves a pause for concern about aesthetics for me, but you never know, maybe if it was done right...

Maybe one way to go is w/ formed clear plastic mounted w/ some brackets to the bikes beak - sort of a fairing for the headlight? Probably it'd only look decent if it mimicked the shape of the stock lens and not be too far ahead of it! Dunno if it can be done w/out lots of beam distortion though!

Looking at the bike I like the V shape... but mounting points are still hard to come by on the front of the bike...

Grabbed some wire to try to mock something up, You'll have to use your imagination for the actual "grill" and pretend that the wire is straight too:
20131125_151437.jpg

Industrious soul :eek:

lol :D

For attachment point ideas, I was considering maybe some discreet button head allen bolts through the plastic cowling where required, holding as few metal spring clips as needed to secure the wire grid or lexan plate in place, but easy removal for cleaning behind it.

I suppose it wouldn't be beyond all reasoning to have a couple bracket "ears" come down from the windscreen mounts, over from the turn signal bases, and one at the centre of the beak, where you show that loop.

The day I got my NC I put on some X-Pel Headlight protector film. Since the bike is new, They did not have any precut units, plus the headlight unit makes for an interesting application process. Lots of cutting, and fitting along the curves. Took about half an hour of measuring and cutting to get it right. I'm happy. No dings or scratches.

I suggest shortest length of 1 ft, and 2 varying sizes, or get the 2ft of 2.5'' and cut to your needed sizes.

Or get the 24'' wide by the foot unit. And try to 1 piece the headlight, but you will have to cut just right to get the curved pieces to take the shape.

XPEL Technologies Corp.: Paint & Headlamp Protection Material By The Foot

Applying the film on a radius changing surface is a bit challenging. It's not perfect, but its the only solution I could come up with at the moment. I'd like to have a pre cut out kit, Like I have for my cars.

Last edited:
The day I got my NC I put on some X-Pel Headlight protector film. Since the bike is new, They did not have any precut units, plus the headlight unit makes for an interesting application process. Lots of cutting, and fitting along the curves. Took about half an hour of measuring and cutting to get it right. I'm happy. No dings or scratches.

I suggest shortest length of 1 ft, and 2 varying sizes, or get the 2ft of 2.5'' and cut to your needed sizes.

XPEL Technologies Corp.: Paint & Headlamp Protection Material By The Foot

Applying the film on a radius changing surface is a bit challenging. It's not perfect, but its the only solution I could come up with at the moment. I'd like to have a pre cut out kit, Like I have for my cars.

Any pictures of it on your headlight? :D

I tried using one of them black garbage cans from Walmart but by the time I got enough of an angle on it, it only protected the headlight from the rain so I abandoned the project...

I don't know what I did with it, but my VFR came with a small lexan shield that was attached with 4 velcro attachment points. I took it off to wash the bike and put it away somewhere. I figure you might be able to make something similar to that with the added bonus that you could take it off pretty quickly if you wanted to.

I used to have a 1/8 of an inche lexan sheet to protect my Suzuki DR-Z 400 but the headlight was flat and square...Easy thing...If my NC wasn't in my dealer's basement, I'd make a mold of the light and try to make a vacuum forming table and experiment something...Youtube is a good teacher for this kind of DIY stuff...Maybe when the NC is back home and my wife out of home ( just cause she don't want to see me use the oven to heat lexan) I'll give it a try !

I've recently emailed TCI Products ( https://tciproductsusa.com ) about it and other farkles, the guy answered me he was in need of a bike to make prototypes...
They are located In Orange, California...soooo far from me I'll pass on this one.

hmmm...I'm not far from there, wonder how long he'd need the bike for. What other farkles did you ask about?

Any pictures of it on your headlight? :D

Sure:

11061122033_daab9d725f_b.jpg

Step back 5 feet and you cannot see it.

L.B.S., You mentioned that you might come up with a "twin light design". If you go that route, I suggest you don't arrange them like headlights on a car.
I heard a noise one night while at a friend's house. It ended up being a car/motorcycle accident quite a ways down the road. An elderly lady pulled out
in front of a motorcycle, thinking it was a car off in the distance because the rider had 2 headlights laterally spaced apart. The rider didn't survive.

Maybe you are aware of it & have a different design in mind, I don't know. Just wanted to mention it. :)

L.B.S., You mentioned that you might come up with a "twin light design". If you go that route, I suggest you don't arrange them like headlights on a car.
I heard a noise one night while at a friend's house. It ended up being a car/motorcycle accident quite a ways down the road. An elderly lady pulled out
in front of a motorcycle, thinking it was a car off in the distance because the rider had 2 headlights laterally spaced apart. The rider didn't survive.

Maybe you are aware of it & have a different design in mind, I don't know. Just wanted to mention it. :)

Thank you my friend, I truly appreciate your concern :)

Anything I came up with more than likely would be a horizontal twin light look though, I'm afraid. From any distance closer than a hundred yards, it's on me to be aware and avoid them, as I fully expect them to do their level best to kill me, with a clueless smile on their face.

I can understand the basic reasoning behind the speculative theory, but in truth, I've found whatever the cause of someone doing something stupid, all the efforts in the world wouldn't have stopped them. People stop, "look" both ways, yet still drive smack into the path of Fire Trucks, Ambulances, Trains, Semi Trucks, Pedestrians, you name it.

And those are the ones who honestly *do* try to follow the basic rules of the road. I can't count how many times I've had to shake my head watching people do all of those things and more, either going: "I can make it!" when it's blatantly obvious they couldn't, or utterly oblivious to their surroundings. No mirror check, no shoulder check, no braking, just a zombie stare straight ahead, and *WHAM*!!!

You could be towing a House down the middle of the street, and people would still plow right into you, reflexively spouting: "Where did you come from! I didn't see you!" lol

continued experimentation with the scrap wire in my garage:

20131127_122816.jpg

20131127_122807.jpg

Wish I had the skill/tools to make something a little rugged/professional.

In the photos it's just wrapped around the mounts that hold up the windshield/instrument cluster... I think the shape is pretty spot on, and not that hard to really duplicate, two 45 bends and a 90 degree bend... then give the whole thing a curve to arc down over the headlight (as seen in the profile shot above)...

Maybe add a 3rd smaller V shape to the middle to close that up, and a few smaller connections to hold everything together, and block rocks from going between the V shapes.

Back