• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I Used to Have Trouble Getting it Up

Mike Cash

Reaction score
Visit site
This is almost certainly common knowledge and I presume almost everybody is well aware of it and has been for a long time now. But I know that nothing is as unique as we think it is so I can't possibly be the only one who has needlessly struggled to get his bike up on the center stand and marveled at the apparently superior coordination and upper body strength of those who do it so seemingly effortlessly.

So for the benefit of any others as clueless as I was, here's the trick: Don't merely press the center stand down to the ground with your foot and lift/pull with your arms while trying not to lose your balance. STAND on the center stand foot piece like you were forcing a tent peg into the ground. Your body weight and the way the stand is constructed will do almost all of the work by leveraging the bike up onto the stand.

My dad has always said, "Don't try to put the bike up, try to push the centerstand into the ground." I guess he's right, because I'm 135# with basically no upper body strength and I can manage it.

Yeah, I was skeptical in the extreme when I asked the dealer to tell me how to put the bike on the center stand. My disbelief was such that I didn't even try, I simply immediately asked him to demonstrate. It's kinda odd/counter-intuitive, but it works like a charm!

Even at 215 pounds I found it hard until I realized I wasn't starting with both feet on the ground. Like the video says get both the feet on the ground. Getting the bike level with both feet touching makes a huge difference in effort.

I had a Goldwing 1800 and putting it up on the center stand was a breeze using that technique. Since I added the center stand on the NCX, it is not getting it up that bothers me, but getting it off the center stand. I feel the suspension is kind of weak. So rather than sitting on the bike and dropping it off the center stand, I stand next to it and pull it off. I have done this on old bikes that sat lower, and were lighter, but on this bike I am always afraid of the off balance drop of the bike. Anybody else doing this or is everyone sitting on the bike to drop it off the center stand?

I had a Goldwing 1800 and putting it up on the center stand was a breeze using that technique. Since I added the center stand on the NCX, it is not getting it up that bothers me, but getting it off the center stand. I feel the suspension is kind of weak. So rather than sitting on the bike and dropping it off the center stand, I stand next to it and pull it off. I have done this on old bikes that sat lower, and were lighter, but on this bike I am always afraid of the off balance drop of the bike. Anybody else doing this or is everyone sitting on the bike to drop it off the center stand?

With the exception of my 50cc scooter, I always sit on a bike to roll if off the center stand. I feel I have more balance control of it, as well as access to the steering and front brake should something go awry.

Greg

With the exception of my 50cc scooter, I always sit on a bike to roll if off the center stand. I feel I have more balance control of it, as well as access to the steering and front brake should something go awry.

Greg

I agree. I like this way much better. There have been a few times with previous bikes I swear she was goign to go over on her right side.

most of it is about technique..jut like a pull ups..plenty of youtube videost. i've perfect it(on my friend's burgman) :)

I also tend to disagree with the video's presentation of putting the side stand down and then rolling it off the centerstand. If the suspension is soft and the bike is heavy (picture a GL1800), I can envision the bike bouncing down and bottoming on the side stand, and then doing a high side away from the operator. I shiver thinking about that, but I guess I've not actually had it happen since I always sit on the bike rather than stand beside it when coming off the c stand.

Greg

Tapatalk rules:
satuqy2a.jpg

also I noticed that when I wear hard shoes its easier.
When wearing tennis shoes, it was harder for me to get her on the center stand.

Ken

I agree with sitting on the bike being much easier. I just wondered if this would lead to premature suspension failure on this bike. If no one else is having this problem, I will use the sit on method from now on. Much easier. Thanks for input.

When I had a BMW and I sent it to the BMW service center, I finally saw how a SMALL and OLD guy (mechanic) could manage the center-stand methods using only the center stand and the rear grab point.

To put bike on centerstand:
He positioned the upright bike on level ground and pressed down the center stand with his right foot.
Then he let go of the whole bike (yes he is very experienced).
With his hands (1 or 2), he pulled up on the grab pivot point (in this case the rear pillion grab bar) and stepped up on the center stand lever.
The bike came up and backwards and slid into place.

To release bike down:
Left hand on left handlebar grip, right foot on kickstand lever. Rock forward or pull the rear forward with right hand.

He did the exact opposite, resulting in NO kickup on the centerstand.
Very smooth operator.

:p

Last edited:
...I always sit on a bike to roll if off the center stand. I feel I have more balance control of it, as well as access to the steering and front brake should something go awry.

This.

also I noticed that when I wear hard shoes its easier.

I always ride with boots on anyway, but when doing any work on the bike, it's harder on the foot when wearing runners/trainers

I recently pulled a muscle in my leg while attempting to put my NC on it's centre stand. The pain was excruciating and to make matters worse I lost 4 days pay...:( I've since removed the centre stand as I never ever want to go through that experience again.

Last edited:
I recently pulled a muscle in my leg while attempting to put my NC on it's centre stand. The pain was excruciating and to make matters worse I lost 4 days pay...:( I've since removed the centre stand as I never ever want to go through that experience again.

I went from fighting it and risking an aneurysm to discovering that done correctly it requires very little muscle effort at all. Gravity and leverage will do 90% of the work.

Back