• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I need some tire spoons and ride on...

I will be watching this thread. I've been doing some homework on tire spoons too.
From some of the reviews I've read (on Amazon), a lot of people seem to think a third
flat tool, along with a set of spoons, makes the job that much easier.

I like the Motion Pro spoons. Get three of them. Also be sure to get some plastic rim protectors and real tire bead lube. Do not use dish washing liquid. If you've never mounted tires, get some tips from those that have. There are some methods that make it go easy instead of what seems like nearly impossible.

I balance mine with the Harbor Freight balance stand but sounds like you're going with the Ride On product.

Good luck.

Greg

Last edited:
I've got a set of Metzlers off my NC. They have about 2k on them. They are yours if you pick them up. Not sure where in OH you are. I'm in se IN

skip the levers and get a no scuff tire tool or similar bar,I can change two tires and have them back on a bike in 1 1/2 hours.I used levers for years.

When we (Dad and I) do the dirt bike tires we try to use as many tire spoons as we can, usually at least 3. I like at least two of them to be long with handles, and the other(s) can be the shorties we take in the trail bags. After seeing guys like David Knight and Stephan Meriman change both their tires in less than 10 minutes at the 2006 WEC round in Perry Sound we learned more spoons makes an easier change. I've never done a street bike tire yet, so I won't go and recommend a tire stand/bead breaker, but they sure are nice for the dirt tires.

At least you don't need to worry about fighting with a tube and valve stem or about pinching the tube. I hate tubes....

Last edited:
For many years I used 1 long iron and 2 smaller ones to change tires. Cut the sides out of shampoo bottles for rim protectors. It is doable, but there are tools that make the job easier and you don't have to spend a fortune if you're handy with making things.

I currently use a home-made bead breaker/tire changer:

tire_changer.jpg

And also a home-made balancer:

balance_stand.jpg

Those tools cost less than $10 because I used mostly scavenged parts. I did splurge on a no scuff tire tool to get away from spoons: No-scufftiretool . Search online for home-made tire changing tools because there's some really good plans and ideas out there. Or you can just order a Coates machine and be done with it. ;)

I ride at least 12,000 miles per year, so it's worth it to have tools to make tire changes easier. If I only rode 1,000 miles per year, I sure wouldn't spend a lot of money on tools that would see very little use.

I use the Harbor Freight tire changer w/ motorcycle adapter and Mojo Lever w/ Mojo blocks mounted on the tire changer to prevent wheel damage

Back