• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I did it - ordered a Madstad 22" Sport SD system (clear)

nemesis98

Reaction score
Visit site
After all the research and reviews, I went for the Madstad Sport SD in clear, 22" size (for my height, 6' 5")
Hope I made the right decision! Should ship 5-7 days or so.

We should be getting our about the same time! The only difference is I got the medium grey tint. I can't wait to get the cracked CalSci off.
JDE if they only had the Madstad available when we first got our bikes, we could have saved some money!

Race ya to installing it first!
Mark @ Madstad just upgraded mine to a 24" (instead of the 22") he feels it will be better for my height.
Can't wait!

Let us know what you think once you ride with it for a bit. We are the same height so I will be waiting patiently!

Let us know what you think once you ride with it for a bit. We are the same height so I will be waiting patiently!

You bet! I ride a mix of back road & freeways, so I will be putting it thru allot of varying speeds & conditions
I'll keep you posted!

Race ya to installing it first!
I ordered mine on 6/27 but the ship date is for 7/9, so you might have yours first.

Mark @ Madstad just upgraded mine to a 24" (instead of the 22") he feels it will be better for my height.
Can't wait!
Maybe they should have just gave you a 4X8 sheet instead! LOL:eek:

I ordered mine on 6/27 but the ship date is for 7/9, so you might have yours first.

Maybe they should have just gave you a 4X8 sheet instead! LOL:eek:

No kidding - I hope it works as advertised and doesn't become a huge air brake!
You might get yours first - ship date on mine is 7/12 and it's 2-day ground to me, if shipped on time it will arrive on the 17th.

Word of caution, when installing, pay close attention to bracket nuts that are very close to the instrument housing. They were resting on mine when Cody from Madstad installed the setup and I have scratches I had to touch up.

Questions about your choice of the Madstad

On one of these threads there is a poll & the Madstad seemed to have won handily. Obviously those posting to this thread think it worth the roughly twice the money as, say, the tall Honda OEM or the Givi (to say nothing free shipping for those). I have watched the YouTube videos on the Madstad & looks like it has a lot of adjustment built into its mounting hardware. Some questions:
a) What convinced you to ante up the bucks for the Madstad, i.e., what tipped you over?
b) Was not clear to me whether the Madstad will use the stock mounting holes. Given my skill set I'd be a bit nervous about doing mods if the stock holes were not what were to be used. Is it a case of removing the stock screen then utilizing the existing attach points?
c) I've read about the buffeting & wind noise on the top of the helmet caused by some of the replacement windscreens. Is the expectation the custom height will mitigate that problem? I could do without the breeze hitting me about mid-chest from the small stock windscreen but, living in southeast Arizona (current temp 91), I'm concerned about the helmet ventilation being not as good with a taller screen. Thoughts?

I have the Madstad shield system, on a couple of bikes.

I tried quite a few other so called great shields.

The so called great shields dont get the air flowing under the shield like the madstad does, you can use a shield that is much smaller to do the same or better than a much larger shield.

The Madsta shield System:
It adjusts the bike to you.

Read the installation manual, they are very easy to install as they are made for our bike.

To get the most out the Madstad shield system read the owners manal/instruction sheet for how to adjustment then take you time, spend a day getting it adjusted.

To get mine adjusted it took me about an hour ride, ride for 5 minutes pull over adjust, ride 5 more minutes, opps, adjusted wrong way, pull over adjust, ride 5 more minutes, then another hour or three admiring the new comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
a) What convinced you to ante up the bucks for the Madstad, i.e., what tipped you over?
This screen has got great reviews from the VStrom guy's. There are a lot of complaints with that bike about buffeting.
The stock and Honda tall screen are useless for what I need in a screen. I have a CalSci medium that works good, but the last time I reinstalled it (in the cold) it cracked.
What a waste of $200.00!
I ride year around and need to get the wind over me as much as possible when its cold or raining. With Madstad's adjustability I can change it for my needs.

b) Was not clear to me whether the Madstad will use the stock mounting holes. Given my skill set I'd be a bit nervous about doing mods if the stock holes were not what were to be used. Is it a case of removing the stock screen then utilizing the existing attach points?
Should be an quick and easy install.

c) I've read about the buffeting & wind noise on the top of the helmet caused by some of the replacement windscreens. Is the expectation the custom height will mitigate that problem? I could do without the breeze hitting me about mid-chest from the small stock windscreen but, living in southeast Arizona (current temp 91), I'm concerned about the helmet ventilation being not as good with a taller screen. Thoughts?

If you put on a tall screen that makes a bubble of air over you, it will get warm. I may put a small screen on for the 90-100 degree temps. YMMV
I had two screens for my old Goldwing, one for winter and one for summer.

Word of caution, when installing, pay close attention to bracket nuts that are very close to the instrument housing. They were resting on mine when Cody from Madstad installed the setup and I have scratches I had to touch up.

Just as counterpoint, there is only interference if the lower OEM mounting point is used. As someone else pointed out, the upper bolt on the mounting plate is easily reversed eliminating the interference if you use that lower OEM mounting point instead of the upper.

Cody installed the system on my upper mounting point and the bracket nuts rested on my instrument cluster housing .

Just as counterpoint, there is only interference if the lower OEM mounting point is used. As someone else pointed out, the upper bolt on the mounting plate is easily reversed eliminating the interference if you use that lower OEM mounting point instead of the upper.

Cody installed the system on my upper mounting point and the bracket nuts rested on my instrument cluster housing .

Unless there is another variation of the mounting plate out there, that is not possible. Here is a picture of my mounting plate and bolt in question and as you can see, it is an inch above the instrument cluster. If I changed it to the lower OEM position, then the nut would indeed be touching the instrument cluster. Reverse the bolt so the bolt head is on the inside and there should be no problem with either OEM position.

IMG_0697.jpg

Unless there is another variation of the mounting plate out there, that is not possible. Here is a picture of my mounting plate and bolt in question and as you can see, it is an inch above the instrument cluster. If I changed it to the lower OEM position, then the nut would indeed be touching the instrument cluster. Reverse the bolt so the bolt head is on the inside and there should be no problem with either OEM position.

View attachment 5981

Agreed. Mine is in the lower holes with the bolt head on the back side, nut in front, and there is no contact with the bike's bracket. With the nut on the back side, there was contact. It can all be fit to work well, but I wish Madstad had worked out the details and spelled it out in the instructions to save me time having to do things twice.

Greg

Agreed. Mine is in the lower holes with the bolt head on the back side, nut in front, and there is no contact with the bike's bracket. With the nut on the back side, there was contact. It can all be fit to work well, but I wish Madstad had worked out the details and spelled it out in the instructions to save me time having to do things twice.

Greg

That's why I love this site - you my friend just saved me the time of having to do things twice with that handy bit of info!

Thanks!!

Installed the Madstad set up on my wife NC and now she's happy. Installation took less than 1/2 hour. ( EASY ! )
I also have the Madstad setup on my Wee Strom and love it. Quality Stuff !

Back