• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I changed the color of my gauges :)

tusken_guy

Reaction score
Visit site
Check this out. Took me 15 minutes after it was disassembled. And according to my Honda dealer, it does not void my warranty because I did not solder anything. Just used color tint over the LEDs

I did not take any pics of it, was too excited to try it out. But I found this picture from another thread.

554d1348278082-blue-led-instrument-dsc00592.jpg

The 9 LEDs that are used to illuminate the face of the cluster are what I put the tint on. The tint I got from eBay and it was really cheap. Sometimes you can find a place that will sell samples, and really, all you need is enough about the size of a stamp.

You can get many colors: 12 Colors 12" x 48" Smoke Headlight Taillight Fog Light Tint Film Vinyl Wrap | eBay

The disassembly of the cluster was really easy once you got it off the bike. There are 8 screws on the back I do believe, then 6 to hold the circuit board onto the plastic case.

If anyone has any more questions, I can possibly take my cluster apart and take some photos.

Hope this helps people :)

That is very cool! How difficult was it to get the cluster off the bike?
So you put the tint over each of the individual LEDs or a strip across all of them? How does the tine stay in place?
I like this mod a lot! The blue looks great!

The cluster was easy to take out on my 700S. I took the headlight assembly off and accessed the gauge that way. There are 3 screws holding the cluster onto the bike and one electrical connection with a rubber boot to keep it dry.

The tint is cut for each individual LED and it is self adhesive. You pull the backing off and press into place. I took a pencil eraser and rubbed lightly around the LED to make sure that it would stick.

You can get more than just blue. There is green, red, yellow etc....

This is a really neat idea!

If you do a local search for lighting and sound equipment you might be able to find a dealer that has free swatches. These swatches usually have about 200+ color gels (different colors and hues). If all you need is a postage stamp size, you could get 2-3 per sample. Chances are if you know the color that you need, they probably have some as scrap. This stuff is rated for 1200w+ lamps so with the little LEDs in the cluster, they'd last forever. I think I might go digging in the garage and see what colors I can find.

Opening and closing the gauge has cause problem with water resistant?
Can you try washing your bike "hard" and see if some condensate will comes up on the internal screen side?
It happened to me with my old bike... after changing the leds with a blue ones sometimes happended that, after wasing or after raining day, little condensate comes up on the screen (inside). It disapper after awhile leaving for instance the bike in the sun exposure...
I'd like to understand if it was my fault opening the case or if is there some gasket/glue that will don't work correctly after opening the case.

Thanks!

Back