• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I can't decide between OEM sidebags and Trekker 33 side bags

that l do pig

Reaction score
Visit site
Help me get off the fence...

The pricing for both seem to be in the same ballpark

I like the integrated look of the OEM but I also like the distinct look of the trekker (aka I am 'waffling')

I consider that I could use the trekkers elsewhere one day

I looked through both installations and they both seem clean - I care about how clean the installation is

I worry the trekker might be a little too large for my use (commuter, rain gear, errands)

I can't tell if the OEM is top loading like the trekker

In both cases do you swing your leg over the same to get on the bike or do you have to avoid the bags?

Last edited by a moderator:
OEM bags are side loading.

If you go with OEM mounts, you will be forever stuck with OEM bags. If you go with Givi mounts, you can use most all Givi an Kappa bags. If you go with SW-Motech mounts, you can adapt to nearly any saddle bag with exception of OEM.

If you get Trekker bags they could also mount on a second bike or the NC's eventual replacement.

So, if you think you may EVER want to switch to something other than OEM, don't go with OEM mounts.

If you like the Trekker look but don't want to spend that much, go with Kappa Garda cases.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did not even factor in the mounts; this makes sense. Seems like SW-Motech mounts and Givis sidebags are my way to go.

One other thing I thought about is the keying: within the OEM, I'll still only have one key and with anything else I'll have an additional key.

Thanks for the input. I am coming from a Vespa GTS in which things like this I never had to concern myself.

I should also have noted that I only want sidebags for my use, no top case. Those and the frunk are enough for me.

Thanks, I did not even factor in the mounts; this makes sense. Seems like SW-Motech mounts and Givis sidebags are my way to go.

One other thing I thought about is the keying: within the OEM, I'll still only have one key and with anything else I'll have an additional key.

Thanks for the input. I am coming from a Vespa GTS in which things like this I never had to concern myself.

I should also have noted that I only want sidebags for my use, no top case. Those and the frunk are enough for me.

If you want no top case, then with the Givi mounts you order the 1111KIT, not the FZ1111 side rails. That then let's you mount only the side bag brackets PL1111, and then you're all set.

Same deal with SW-Motech. You can order the side carriers with the Givi adapters and they include mounting brackets to attach them to the bike without having to buy the Alu-Rack.

I know it's confusing. Before you order, run it by us or whoever you buy from to be sure you have it straight.

I have the OEM saddlebags. I have no issues with the OEM bags. The odd shape of the interior does cause problems fitting stuff sometimes. They have a large pocket at the bottom but get narrow at the top. Not a pig deal but does cause me problems sometimes.

There were only two NC's at my dealer when I bought mine. One was grey and outfitted with the OEM stuff and the other was Red. I don't do red so I ended up with the grey one and OEM bags.

I've said it a few times over the months but will say it again. If I had a choice I would rather have the trekker's. It's all about the looks for me. I like how they look.

I agree with all that is said.OEM can't be taken to the next bike.I like my top open givi.I also didn't want a top box,but still got the rear rack setup.this way I can put my smaller tail bag on the back to hold rain gear and small things I won't need everyday.

The oem does looks very nice, however your kinda stuck with them and cannot take it to another bike. If you go givi route, you can select which cases you like AND can take it to another bike. I thought about this and decided to go givi.

I really like those trekkers by givi, but the funny thing was I didn't get them. I got the givi e21 because they were slim. I wanted slim to go between cars if necessary and got the v46 top case because I wanted to add LED lights to it (left/right/brake). In the end, I am happy with my decision.

Ken

Last edited:
I'll let someone else confirm, but I believe your selections will get the job done. That's a good price on the 1111kit but you can do better than that on the Trekker bags and PL1111 if you shop around.

You can always get 10% off at Tourandride with a coupon code. You may even end up buying the parts from two or three sources to get the rock bottom prices.

Last edited:
I'll let someone else confirm, but I believe your selections will get the job done. That's a good price on the 1111kit but you can do better than that on the Trekker bags and PL1111 if you shop around.

You can always get 10% off at Tourandride with a coupon code. You may even end up buying the parts from two or three sources to get the rock bottom prices.

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm part numbers. I will wait until I see a better price as i still have current farkle project of OEM power accessory and OEM heated grips. I've got everything but the Pro Honda grip glue which will arrive next week. I was just planning ahead on this next one.

I would go with a bag or case that is top loading. My e21s are perfect for me. But they may be small for many folks. The top loading allows me to use the bike and cases for so many daily chores . No spilling of contents when opened and items such as bottles can be loaded more securely. It really adds to the usability and versatility of my 700x. Just my 2 cents. Max

I would go with a bag or case that is top loading. My e21s are perfect for me. But they may be small for many folks. The top loading allows me to use the bike and cases for so many daily chores . No spilling of contents when opened and items such as bottles can be loaded more securely. It really adds to the usability and versatility of my 700x. Just my 2 cents. Max

I didn't think about that. MY OEM cases do pose a problem sometimes when trying to load multiple items. It's like the closet that has to much stuff and you try to shut the door real quick before any of it can fall out. LOL. Not quite that bad but you get the idea.

TourandRide has the PL1111s on sale for less than $190.00 today.

Try coupon code TY13 and see if it still gets you 10% off that $190 price. If not, simply call them and ask them what the code is. No hurry though, as TourandRide always has a sale.

Last edited:
If you often run without the bags installed and looks are important to you, you might still want to consider the OEM bags. The mounting system is much less obnoxious when the bags are off than most of the aftermarket mounts I've seen. This is a personal opinion, of course, and YMMV. ;)

Yes, I chose the SW-Motech side brackets because they are removable, unlike the Givi. The SW-Motechs cost more than Givi, but that was a point in their favor. Good point by Harald.

Summary.
Givi bracket loops stay on and are always visible.
OEM has no loops, but brackets always stay on and are hardly visible.
SW-Motech bracket loops come off easily and small attachment points are hardly visible.

The SW-Motech instructions looked like you had to drill two holes in the rear plastic? The instructions looked pretty vague but I saw that.

Yes, the directions are poor. You need to position a bracket right under the taillight, drill two holes in the plastic fender, and attach the bracket with two bolts. The supplied hardware is not the best. I swapped out the supplied bolts with stainless steel ones because I use stainless on all external hardware when possible, plus I added a spacer washer between the license plate bracket and the fender to fill the gap. Some day if you removed the bracket, the two holes would be unnoticeable by the common man.

Back