• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How to install an electrical outlet?

werdigo

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of threads about proper uses of accessory outlets, measuring current draw, etc., but my relatively unmodified 2014 NC-700X still has no accessory outlet at all. Can someone point me to where this is explained? I visualize perhaps a dual cigarette-lighter socket, maybe in the frunk. (I'm afraid I do not have a shop manual yet.)

First question you need to ask yourself is do you want the accessory outlet to be on only when the engine is on or all the time? If all the time, installation is real simple, buy an accessory outlet and connect it directly to the battery which is in the frunk. If only on when engine is running, you should install factory accessory harness kit with the relay. It'll cost ya $30. Buy the accessory outlet and connect it to the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, you could do it without the OEM harness for the same or less, but it'll look a little neater if you go OEM, and require a bit less work (mostly with splicing wires) on your part.

I'm in the same boat. I'd like to add an alarm, a USB port and the INNOVV K1 motorcycle camera. The alarm I'd like active all the time but I've read that it drains your battery. Same with the USB but that's the lowest priority. The dual camera I definitely only need when I ride so I know I have to get the sub-harness and relay. The sub-harness has multiple connectors, so my question is - If I install the relay and sub-harness can I hook the camera system into it? If so, can the USB port be installed at the same time if I decide not to connect it directly to the battery?

Techrat

Suggestion:
Wire a power outlet directly to the battery thru a fuse. Tap off that to a switch for all the items you want powered only when key is on. Remember to turn it on/off as needed.
Alarms and USB converters do pull power, even quiescent, and the battery is very limited and will die if it sits too long. I have direct experience.
Make sure all wiring/fuses/switches are sized properly.
FWIW, I put my outlet on the forward right side inside the frunk (room w/in panels). I use a twin USB converter that plugs into the outlet (powers cellphone and dashcam). I also use it for an external battery charger since it is direct to battery (but not jump as the fuse is only 10 amps).
Happy wiring!

Last edited:
The sub-harness has multiple connectors, so my question is - If I install the relay and sub-harness can I hook the camera system into it? If so, can the USB port be installed at the same time if I decide not to connect it directly to the battery?

Techrat

Yes and yes. The subharness's combined current for the four connectors is limited by the fuse (supplied with the relay) to 7.5 amps. Your camera and USB port should be well below that.

Last edited:
Back