• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many of you wave when going by another bike on the road ?

Disclaimer: I did not read all the above threads...

It is mandatory to wave here as bikers....unless you are riding a badass HD and you only get out ONCE a year (then you are excused, coz we know you cannot ride and wave at the same time).

I just nod but only if the others nod 1st.
was out yesterday and a kind van driver did a wanking sign when I was over taking a caravan he was miles away
so I don't know what his problem was. anyway I just ignored the WANKER.

it might have been this fella???
brownbig.jpg

Ditto.

I never see them wave back! They are usually a different breed.

Yeah... I've only seen that ONCE out of say 50 passes. Most motorcycle cops are all business. I still wish them well. They take much the same risk as we do.

Commuters are less likely to wave, as they need to focus on the traffic around them.

I've found that most Harley Riders will not "Wave" to "Non-Harley Riders". The same goes for some Sport Bike Riders too.

I would say that I get 1 out of 6 riders to wave back when I do.

Wow! One out of Six! It's common around these parts for every rider to wave at any other rider. I like that.
Of course, if you go anywhere near the "biker bars", you have to adjust for the increased traffic.... otherwise your hand would be off the left grip constantly! (smile)

I usually wave at anyone on 2 wheels, most wave back or nod their helmets. The only time I won't wave is if I'm focused on something else or trying to maneuver my bike.

-Jesse

You know you are a hardcore biker, when you start to wave at other bikes instinctively, even when you are on a bicycle or driving inside your Automobile.
:p

i usually wave to whoever comes along. I never wave while at a large motorcycle rally like Americade where I spent the day yesterday. Most of the riders there don't wave, there are too many riders to wave to.

Here in downstate New York 100% of motorcyclists – regardless of make – initiate or respond to a wave. I think because the season is so short and the four-wheeled traffic so blind motorcyclists here might take each other a little less for granted than some other places.

I wave to anybody who initiates. Even pedestrians can get a wave from me; give proper respect to the walkers! I often initiate a wave to professional drivers: truckers, EMTs, bus drivers, local and state police, postal and delivery services personnel, DPW workers. A neighbor who drives bus saw me wave at her and told me it made her day and increased her awareness of motorcyclists around her.

Same thing up here in Ontario. Every biker waves regardless of make. Well as far as I seen anyway. And I get quite a few waves by pedestrians, police, school kids, and various others around :) I really motorcyclists that are caging that day....when they wave...they hang way out the window and give a big thumbs up! LOL :)

I dont care I usually wave at everyone. I even waved a lot when I was on my scooter. I hardly got a response then. Now that I am on the NC700 I get a lot more people waving back

I came across this a couple years ago and bookmarked it. I find myself following these same "rules". You can find these rules on a few websites, but here's where I found this particular one. Motorcycle Etiquette: How Not To Wave Like A Dork!

2090124_f520.jpg

Doing The Biker Wave.

If you drive a motorcycle, you know about “The Wave”. “The Wave” is your rolling connection to the biker brother & sisterhood, but is there a special secret to this wave? When you started riding did you seek out a wave master and perhaps copy theirs, or did you develop one of your own? Have you ever wondered if you’re wave appropriate? Do you wonder if the wave you’re flashing is politically correct, not brand specific enough or old and outdated? Unfortunately, wave training is not covered in the basic or advanced motorcycle safety classes.

Many riders believe there was a secret wave society similar to the Priere de Sion formed around 1903 when that first HD rolled out of that shed, but there wasn’t. It all started, one day in 1904 when Arthur Davidson passed by William Harley and since they knew each other, they waved. Well, another biker saw the two "Kings of Motorcycles" doing this and thought this was a biker necessity and the tradition was born. The waving tradition continued on through the years and became haphazard. There were bikers doing the “Bye Grandma Wave”, others doing the "Howdy Wave" and still others doing the extremely feminine “Princess Wave". In 1946, after several years of these, image destroying gestures, a group of crusty old bikers decided to put some proper waving rules in place and formed the Wave Hard And True - Biker Society. Abbreviated: WHAT-BS

To wave or not to wave, that is the question. We’ve all faced that critical mass state when we felt obligated to wave but then became unsure. The worrying starts and then there’s that overwhelming feeling of guilt. Well, worry no more; here are some general waving rules to help guide you : 1)interstate; unnecessary, 2) in a curve; unnecessary 3) in the rain or at night; unnecessary 4) on a mellow two lane; proper. 5) a highway with little traffic; proper 6) A rally, unnecessary and 7) in traffic, unnecessary.

There are, however, times when not waving is just down right rude. So if you’re not a jackass, when you are presented with “The Wave” you should, if at all possible, reciprocate. If it’s the proper place and time and you receive no reciprocal wave, don’t get your panties in a bunch and think you’ve just passed a jackass, because there are some acceptable reasons. These reasons are as follows: 1) you weren’t seen, 2) clutch manipulation or 3) a head nod was substituted.

I chuckle when I read how most posters on a thread like this wave at anything with two wheels. It's realistic in low populated areas. I could see myself doing that if I lived in Norton, KS. But Seattle has the notoriety of having the 4th worst traffic congestion in the USA. In the winter, I can count the motorcycles I'll see on one hand and have several fingers left over. That's on a 60 mile commute. The last couple days on my commute, I have had that many following me...with many more ahead and far far more on the other side of the freeway. It isn't a question of being courteous...it's a question of riding safe. If I waved like some people do on the forum in this area, I'd have my hand up in the air all the time and not be paying attention to all the other vehicles on the road around me.

So when do I wave? I wave on a two-lane road, and that's about all. I will sometimes see someone in the other side of the freeway waving...but I'm in heavy traffic (unlike them) moving at 60 mph and at any time, someone could move into my lane at any time. On the 4-6 lane city streets...they are generally packed full of cars and I'm changing speeds and gears. It's hard to change gears if your left hand is up in the air waving (unless you have a DCT!). And it just isn't safe to take my eyes off the road and traffic I'm in to see if a rider clear across several lanes of traffic might see me and wave back.

I have mixed emotions about being part of a "brotherhood" of motorcycle riders. Last year, I had several riders come up behind me and then pass me in my own lane like I was standing still...while I'm doing 60 mph or better. I got to where I hated to see another rider behind me, because I honestly didn't know if they were going to take my life in their hands. I am not someone's pylon on their racecourse. :mad: This year has so far been pleasant. The riders who have come up behind me keep their distance and behave like someone you wouldn't mind riding with. :)

So there's another opinion. I'll go hide while everyone takes a shot at me now. :)

Chris

I wave most of the time, except when I'm focussed on the road. I admit I don't usually wave at scooters (sometimes, but I live in a college town where there are just too many, and frankly - they don't care).

like others have said I like the community feeling - we're in it together having fun and avoiding the cages ;-)
Peace sign, down if I can remember is my fave, but sometimes just a wild flap of the arm!

So now tell me what is the reason for a long rope looking thing hanging from the left grip.seen two Harleys with this now,it looks to be a group thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is pretty old and the origin of it is lost to me but still pretty funny.

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first
drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the
feeling that I'd become part of a special community-a brotherhood,
really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate,
waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley
guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When they pass me on the
highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle
handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets-God, they
drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't
wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all
upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them.
They're almost as bad as those old b******s on their touring
motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!"
Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got
all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while
you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys-I don't wave at them either. Why don't they spend a
little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you
want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what
a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you
Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them,
either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their
stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They
make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and
you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't
get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years
old? Team Green my ***. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll
never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like
you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway.
Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from
me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And
I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at-those guys with the helmets
with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet-
like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone
with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or
hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of
people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson)
with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no
stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And
isn't that what really makes riding so special?

Same thing up here in Ontario. Every biker waves regardless of make. Well as far as I seen anyway. And I get quite a few waves by pedestrians, police, school kids, and various others around :) I really motorcyclists that are caging that day....when they wave...they hang way out the window and give a big thumbs up! LOL :)

So, the Harley guys in Ontari-ario are waving now? I was born and raised there and used to ride there too 20 years ago. The Harley guys would never wave to me. Even then, most of them were dentists and lawyers pretending to be tough guys on the weekends. I had an older (even for then) sport bike and full leathers and they would never wave no matter how much I tried. Either it would have broken their "tough guy" image or they didn't have enough control to take one hand off the bars.

I find that the same thing with non-waving Harley riders exists here in California (or at least the Bay Area) now.

So now tell me what is the reason for a long rope looking thing hanging from the left grip.seen two Harleys with this now,it looks to be a group thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have often wondered about that too. Sure would hate to see the whip get snagged on something and abruptly twist the bars out of the rider's hands. Also seen bells (to ward off evil spirits?) on the H-Ds too.

Back