• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many of you wave when going by another bike on the road ?

Mgajohnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious to see how many people wave and if anyone knows the history of how it started. The reason I ask is that I was out for a ride today and passed many other riders and I always wave but about 30% do not. It is just me but I think it is rude if I wave and you just ride right by, am I wrong.

I wave at all motorcyclists and scooter riders. Most wave back. On quiet rural country roads, I wave at trucks, minivans, cars, farm implements, bicyclists, whatever. Many wave back.

The only time I'll not respond with a wave is when I'm preoccupied with operating the machine, or was I directing my attention elsewhere.

Always wave usually get a wave back. Sad to say, stereotypes are true in this case - HD types usually are the most frequent of the non-wavers. But they are in the minority of the HD riders around here. Usually it's the ones who imagine they are bad asses who don't wave. Some of the BMW riders can be snobs as well. Most everyone here waves though. I know from being on other boards that in other parts of the country you only get a wave if you're on the same bike as the riders you meet.

I ALWAYS wave to everyone on bikes. I really like it when the "Harley" riders try to look the other way when I wave !!!! Boy, some bikers have an attitude !! LOL

A few years back I rode a scooter (50cc) for a summer. :cool: I waved like a "school girl" (ok ...school boy)...when I saw anything resembling a motorcycle !!!! It was quite funny to see the looks I got !!! Life to is too short to be stuck up. Enjoy life and enjoy being on 2 wheels !!

I wave.

More of the Harley riders wave than you realize. Hard to see movement of a black glove in front of a black jacket on a black bike. And then there are the ones too afraid to let go and just lift a couple finges off the grip.

Scooter riders are least likely to wave back. Think some are surprised a MC rider will wave at them. And of course the DUI scooter riders don't have a clue.

Unless preoccupied with traffic, I wave at all two-wheelers. Having come off a scooter (Suzuki Burgman 400) I got used to waving at everyone -scoots or not. Most HD riders around here are wave-friendly .

This topic has already been extensively covered in a previous Thread. In fact I think someone explained the origin of the wave, and the different types of waves bikers use. I always wave when I meet other riders. Most wave back, some don't; but I figure that's their problem, not mine.

Funny,I get more waves from Harley riders and less from the croch rocket riders.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I always wave, excepting that it's not 'normal' for anyone (around here anyway) to wave at one another across the median of a divided highway, or across a significant median on any divided roadway. At this point, I actually think I get the most waves back from sport-bike riders, though I'm not sure. BMW riders and the super-adventure-bikers, ones likely to have a FYYFF sticker on their bikes, are least likely to wave back, though some do. The H-D riders tend to wave, but it depends upon how cool they think they are. The ones who think they're REALLY cool won't wave. Scooter riders here are oblivious entirely.

Arkansas seems to be wave friendly. I wave at all two-wheelers and most wave back.

Samsung Galaxy S4

We don't see much croch rocket riders here because high-risk motorcycles cost 1 127,08$ a year to registrate !

That's actually cheap compared to Manitoba. Some first time riders will pay $2500-3000/year and experienced "F"ing a football riders will pay over $1500. I like the NC and cheap Ontario insurance means only $620 for me an cover everything including a new bike if I total this one off.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I find that when I wear my black leather jacket most H-D riders tend to wave back. If I wear my Hi-Vis yellow mesh jacket I'm totally ignored. Scooter riders, yep totally clueless, as they blast along at 30 MPH in the fast lane. :confused:

I wave to all other rider. The weekend warrior..."I just had $25,000-$30,000 laying around and figured I'd buy a Harley to compensate for my...and midlife crisis" guys typically don't wave back. But real riders wave back...they are also the first to say "as long as you're on two wheels we look out for one another."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before cell phones and service fix it plans you would wave to let other riders know all was well and you did not need help. Now days it is just a polite thing to do.

I wave at every one, but alot a HD full baggers, big dogs vary seldom wave back. Kinda funny when I had my V Star the HD guys would wave and the bemmer boys wouldn't, now its just the opposite?

We don't wave here in the UK, it's a slight nod of the head to one another, or a thumbs down if the other biker is heading towards a smokey's speed trap.

HD riders are the same here, up their own arses. :mad:

Yes, I wave at folks on two wheels . There is a lot of innate snobbery among bikers. I found that the Goldwing folks are among the worst. The only time I would get a response off one of them was when I was riding my own GL1800. The sport bike folks are not great either. However they will occasionally stick out a leg in acknowledgement. The waving is a thing from the early days of motorcycling when bikes were not too reliable and we relied on each other so much for help with breakdowns etc. Sadly it is a disappearing aspect to motorcycling.

Back