• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How heavy is your full face helmet?

mpgandfun

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine weighs in at 58.90 ounces. The reason I ask, is due to some numbness in my neck on the 2300 mile ride I did last summer. I traveled the first half of that trip without any pains...-except some tolerable saddle soreness. During day 3 and 4, I noticed that the muscle running from behind my right ear, down to just above my right shoulder blade, was completely numb. First thought was: "This can't be good..."

I'm looking at doing two long rides/tours this year, so I would like to get this resolved.

I'm no chiropractor, but my instinct tells me this could be a potential trip-ending condition. I think it was caused mostly due to the compression from the weight of my helmet on consecutive long rides. My first day on that trip was over 14 hours in the saddle. Been looking for a new LIGHTER helmet. Why won't manufacturers list the weight of their helmets?

Is 3.70 pounds the norm for a full face helmet, or are lighter ones available?
I think even a 20% difference in weight would make an impact for me on a long trip.

Last edited:
I see your point about "conditioning" myself to the weight of riding gear. My question there is, I ride my NC to work (36 miles round trip) every day the roads aren't covered in snow or ice. That's usually about 7-7 1/2 months out of the year where i'm at. Its not a 1000 mile trip, but it amounts to at least 250 miles a week (Sat. & Sun. included) of time in the saddle. I'd think that would keep me adjusted to the weight of my helmet for a long ride. Maybe not.

After doing the conversion, yours is a bit heavier than mine. Maybe its not my helmet, and its my old bones :(.

If that's the case, then I forge ahead and smile, and pray for the best!

Last edited:
60 ounces or 1702 grams for mine. I've never had any issue with that weight. Any heavier and I might complain. I've been wearing a helmet on all rides for 39 years so it's the norm for me.

Maybe in your case there's an issue with the fit more so than the weight?

+1 on webBikeWorld. If they review the helmet model they list the weight and compare to others.

Greg

Revzilla usually gives helmet weights in their video reviews of helmets. They may not give every helmet on the market, but do a pretty good job reviewing the more popular makes and models.

Were you riding in a cross wind? That sure can cause a muscle strain. If you were riding through TX, OK, KS or NE you probably had a cross wind. I had a cross wind from the south in TX that was brutal once. As soon as I turned north at Amarillo I had a cross wind from the west.......now how does that happen? I was hoping for a 50 mph tail wind so I could maybe get 80 mpg.....but nooooo!
Mike

Wind and fighting the buffeting would be my guess. Doesn't seem too bad on the NCX but had to fight it like crazy on the CBR unless I was in full tuck. On my 2500 mile trip last year I spent about 80% of my time on the interstates laying on my tankbag.

I think that the guys talking about the wind have got it correct. Modern helmets tend to be far lighter than older ones and we managed OK with them. Even flip fromt helmets are not that heavy these days

Why won't manufacturers list the weight of their helmets?

Is 3.70 pounds the norm for a full face helmet, or are lighter ones available?
I think even a 20% difference in weight would make an impact for me on a long trip.

On long runs the wind pressure on the helmet is probably a lot more signficant than the weight alone, although a lighter helmet will probably require a little less force from your neck muscles as they correct for being buffeted by the wind.

The UK government SHARP site lists a lot of popular helmets, their performance and weights if you want to check it out (http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/). They list in kgs but 1 kg is 2.2 lbs as near as makes no difference so easy to convert if you prefer thinking in lbs.

Shark and Shoei look to do some lighter models.

I never considered that crosswinds might have done it to me. It was last summer, so I don't recall if i was riding with a crosswind or not.
From what i've seen at the link dduelin provided, my helmet is in the heavier half of those listed. Not buy much though. Its at around #120 out of the 200 listed.

Last edited:
I get a neckache from staring too much into my Macbook screen and iPhone and iPAD.

The neckstrain from your riding is probably due to wind-stress and not really the weight. If anything goes, a heavier helmet actually may relieve some neck strain because it is heavy and sits steady in a highwind (high speed) constant riding position.
Ride more and more and you will see that your neck becomes stronger.
If you are really worried, buy one of those $200 neck braces from MotoGP advertisements.
:p

Mine is 60 ounces. I do about 44 miles roundtrip each day and haven't noticed a problem but the wind buffeting hits me in the shoulders usually and not on the helmet/head.

Back